I'm looking at CD Typhoon for day sailing..A QUESTION

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

dbmclean

I'm looking at CD Typhoon for day sailing..A QUESTION

Post by dbmclean »

Is it unreasonable to use this wonderful boat as day sailer from a trailer... or must it be on a mooring?

How long does it take to step the mast?
Can one person do it or does it require two?

feel free to post or email me directly
dbmclean55@yahoo.com

Also, if you know of a CD14 I would certainly be interested in that...
Joe Montana
Member 781

Post by Joe Montana »

I think the full keel and the fact that the mast is stepped on the keel make the Typhoon daysailer impractical for day sailing off of a trailer. I've seen two strong yard hands struggle to get my mast up without a crane, which they usually use. I suppose anything is possible, but I wouldn't want to do it. However, it's such a great boat that I hope you'll think hard about getting a mooring or slip somewhere before switching to a different design! Good luck.
Seawolf

mast + trailer

Post by Seawolf »

I step the mast myself. Not too difficult. I just attach a longer line to the forestay while raising to hold it in place. I crane launch, though; it might be a bit time consuming to trailer launch and haul each time with the Typhoon's full keel. You might have a really good trailer and ramp, so maybe it wouldn't be as difficult; however, I agree, you will be much happier with a mooring.
At last the anchor was up, the sails were set -- the cocktail flag was raised -- and off we glided...
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

If you are looking for a traditional type day sailer and want to launch from a trailer each use, have you thought about a cat boat of some type? A lot have swing keels getting a lot of their stability from their wide beams. They tend to have large cockpits in part because of the wide beam making it more comfortable for larger groups. Full keels just were not designed for easy ramp launches.

I don't have any particular types in mind but can picture adds for a couple in Main Boats & Harbors recently. Sturdy Cat maybe? I have seen quite a few that are very attractive and they tend to be more in the day sailer range.. There is one moored south of my boat up in Boothbay Harbor that is very pretty I but don't know the make.

Good luck with the search.

Joe
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
ronkberg

Full keel makes for good stability but

Post by ronkberg »

launching and retrieval is difficult. You will need a good trailer with an extendable tongue as she needs approx. 3' above the trailer height to float off. Retrieval will call for a good keel guide and winch to pull her fully on and balanced. Difficult work and a sling launch/haul and a good mooring is better.

So far as stepping the mast, my '73 Ty weekender mast is deck mounted and can be stepped fairly easily. Only difficulty is getting the mast fitted to the mount base and I have my first mate hold it there. Then I can lift the mast onto a X-brace and use a long line to haul it up with the jib haylard. Then tie off the haylard and attach the fore stay. I believe the Typhoon daysailer model has keel stepped mast and is much more difficult to step.

Although Joe's suggestion is a reasonable option, I suggest that the Typhoon is the best little cruiser on the water......IMHO :oops: , but I am very biased :wink: .

Best of luck with your search and let us know what you purchase and where you'll be sailing. I'm sure you'll see Cape Dories sailing nearby and if you are not on one........sorry for you. :D

Ron
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Sailing in Saco Bay, Maine
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

Not too bad to single-hand step/unstep

Post by RIKanaka »

I've stepped/unstepped the mast single-handed on the Weekender at the beginning and end of the past 3 seasons. It's pretty easy to do, once you figure out the protocol. Of course, it's always easier when you have help.

I think launching and retrieving on a ramp would be the most difficult part, unless you got a good float-on/off trailer with a long, extendable tongue (at least 12 feet) and a long, steep ramp. The draft of the Ty necessitates dunking your trailer pretty far down the ramp, so a long tongue will help keep your truck's rear end dry. At the ramp where I launch each year, I usually have to hit the high tide or else the trailer wheels goes off the end of the ramp into soft sand, mud and/or rocks, depending on what has accumulated during the off-season.
Last edited by RIKanaka on Apr 19th, '08, 17:52, edited 1 time in total.
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
Brent R

Post by Brent R »

Once you get everything set up and your routine down it's not too bad, it takes me about 45 min. from the time I park to the time I’m backing away from the dock. But you do need a good trailer with an extendable tongue and a good launch with about 3.5 ft of water.

I have a support with a roller in the back to hold the mast when placing it in the mast step. I connect the shrouds and backstay and use the jib halyard to assist in raising and to hold the mast up until I can connect the forestay.

I know alot of guys are against it, but if you’re going to trailer sail I would recommend installing a bow eye.

The Typhoon really is a great boat! It takes a bit of work but can be trailer sailed with one person.

Good luck.
wingreen

do it!

Post by wingreen »

The Typhoon is a great little daysailer. Ours lives in the backyard between cruises. I step & unstep the mast single-handed everytime, and it takes me about 40 mins. +/- from the time we pull into the parking lot to the time we're underway.

The trick w/ the mast is to get leverage. I use a vang attached to the stemhead on one end and an eye about halfway up the mast on the other. The rest of the set-up just takes a little practice and the right equiment. After a 3 or 4 trials you should get your set up time down to about 40 - 45 mins. Break-down time is about 30 mins. once back in the parking lot. Keeping the shrouds and backstay attached saves a lot of time.

Launching a Ty is a piece of cake. The tongue of my trailer is about 6' 6" longer than the bow of the boat, and it's just right on all of the ramps in our area. She floats right off. I would make the tongue about 1 ft longer, though, if I had the opportunity.

Retrieval is a little more difficult than most boats. You need a good winch. I reel her in carefully while keeping an eye on the keel to keep it centered. I stop at the top of the ramp to inspect how well-centered the keel is - if it's too much off-center I just back her up into the water again, give her a little floating room, and reel her back in again until she's right.

The nice thing about launching from a trailer is that you get to check out all the ports w/in driving distance. I've been out of about 6 or 7 different ports in the last year.

It's pretty funny - I frequently get onlookers who want to see how I'm going to get the mast up by myself. "How you gonna do that?! It took two guys struggling for 45 mins on my boat...", as well as other comments - "I came over to see what all the fuss is about [re: sailboats]", or "It looks like too much trouble..."