Cd 27 shaft removal

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Jimbo
Location: cd 27 malletts bay vt. Cattail cd 14 #65 cd 10 #2251

Cd 27 shaft removal

Post by Jimbo »

I have searched and read the prior posts on this topic and want to be sure I really understand. My concern is removing the shaft from the coupling. What I have done is remove the set screws, and un-couple the coupling, squirting all areas with oil. Am I to understand that the next step is to put a small "whatever" between the 2 halves of the coupling and Slowly,carefully over the course of several days tighten the 2 to force the shaft out? Cutting the shaft is looking better and better. thanks Jim[/b][/i]
Ray Garcia

Post by Ray Garcia »

That's all there is to it. Basically your squeezing out the shaft from the coupling. A small diameter socket placed between the halves pushes out the shaft when the bolts are tightened, very slowly. You will have to go out and purchase a longer set of bolts and some washers for spacing. If you want to save the shaft it's worth the work. The shaft on my CD27 came out relatively easy from the coupling. I had to buy a new shaft, the old one was shot.

I certainly sympathize with your situation. It is certainly no fun squeezed down below to work on the coupling.

[img]http://www.cd27spirit.us/images/board/coupling.jpg[/img]
Duncan Maio

Post by Duncan Maio »

Jimbo:

It may not take a couple of days. The key is to tighten the flange evenly.

When I did this (several years ago), I used four long bolts - perhaps 4" - between the flanges and, as I recall, a 9/16" deep-well socket between the transmission and the shaft end. The key to the "whatever" is something that is smaller than the shaft in diameter, and longer than the flange is thick.

I found that the shaft came out with little trouble, working 1/4 turn at a time on each bolt around the flange. I think I started with tightening opposing pairs of bolts, but eventually switched to just rolling the shaft and taking a turn on each bolt as it came around.

As you can imagine, this process is slow enough as it is. As long as the shaft is moving at all, there's no reason to move more slowly that I can think of - as long as you are tightening everything evenly and using a good lubricant.
Duncan Maio
s/v Remedy
CD27 #37
Bristol, RI
Randy Capstick
Location: 1980 Ty Weekender, 1984 CD36 Glen Margaret, Nova Scotia, Canada

Shaft Removal

Post by Randy Capstick »

Here is a shaft removal tool from Deep Blue Yacht Supply that I would highly recommend.

http://www.deepblueyachtsupply.com/series.aspx?id=169

I removed the shaft and coupling off my 28 last fall and this would have made the process sooo much easier. I ended up using a combination of automotive pullers, the problem being the limited space for the "screw plunger". I coated the shaft with penetrating oil and, after sitting overnight, the coupling just slid right off.

Good Luck,

Randy