Sam's Club Batteries 6V Golf Cart and Group 31 Deep Cycle?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

bottomscraper

Sam's Club Batteries 6V Golf Cart and Group 31 Deep Cycle?

Post by bottomscraper »

Any Sams Club members out there know if they still sell 6V golf cart and Group 31 Deep Cycle batteries at Sams Club? We aren't members anymore but might join again if they still have them.

Thanks!
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Loren
Chaumont, NY

batteries

Post by Loren »

A few months ago our Sams Club still carried the 6V golf cart batteries (Northern NY). I can't remember the price. I replaced my batteries last spring - I use a pair of 6 volt for ther house bank and an auto battery for starting.

Loren
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

they are carried here in Ma........Napa is also a source.
________
Dc Marijuana Dispensary
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:50, edited 1 time in total.
Maine Sail

Yes Rich..

Post by Maine Sail »

The Sam's Club in Scarborough, ME has them they are called GC2's and sell for $66.85. They are made by Johnson Controls..
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles
mahalocd36

Scored some batteries at Sam's Club

Post by mahalocd36 »

Thanks All! We got them, the price for membership more than
paid for itself at that price. While we were at it got a new group 31 starting battery as well.
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
Troy Scott

Golf Cart Battery

Post by Troy Scott »

OK who is actually using a bank made up of these GC2 batteries? I'm convinced that this is the way to go for the most power from a really deep cycle bank. But I have reservations about these..., mostly because of the "messy" factor. I have vivid memories from long ago of the crud that would collect near the connections, and of the corroded boxes wet lead-acid batteries had to rest in. I've used maintenance free or AGM for many years now, but now that I'm planning a system that will require much larger capacity, I realize that it's either the golf cart batteries with reasonable price and weight, or a far more expensive, much larger and much heavier bank of AGM or maintenance free batteries. The questions are: Am I going to be OK with the maintenance issues? Is it going to be really messy? Can I expect to be able to put part of the bank in the "L" of the settee in my CD36 and not ruin my cabin sole/upholstery/ etc.? I do understand about the ventilation issues, etc.. I'm thinking I will need probably six GC2s.....
Regards,
Troy Scott
Bill Michne

Golf Cart Batteries as House Bank

Post by Bill Michne »

Troy:
Two years ago I installed 4 GC batteries as my house bank. They are wired as 2 units in series, and the 2 series are wired in parallel to each other, to give a 12 volt bank. They are installed under a settee in the cabin. I have had no problems with corrosion at the terminals, nor have I had any issues with leakage of electrolyte. I keep the electrolyte level just to the full mark, without going over. The cabin is well ventilated, and we have had no issues with charging. The main current draw at anchor is the refrigeration system, in addition to lights, radio, etc. At anchor, the voltage of the fully charged bank drops a little on the first day, then stays steady for at least 3 days, with enough juice left to start the engine (that was an experiment. I have a separate starting battery). Bottom line: I am very pleased with the performance of the GC batteries, and have not yet encountered anyone using a similar system who didn't like it.
Bill Michne
s/v Mintaka, CD 40
Troy Scott

Golf Cart Batteries as House Bank

Post by Troy Scott »

Bill,

That's encouraging! Anyone else?
Regards,
Troy Scott
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

Oh yeah Troy, I recommend this set up also. I have been using them for 5 seasons now and have had no issues. When on the hard I charge them weekly. I don't have a large electrical draw and use led's. I don't think I've ever drawn them down flat.
The Trojan's are a good battery but have gotten a bit pricey. I use 6v Napa 's and have no complaints.
________
Herbal Vaporizers
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 06:00, edited 1 time in total.
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

The bank with the two 6V golf cart batteries has worked very well. This bank holds charge much better than the two Group 31's they replaced. (The 12V group 31's were in parallel, not a good idea but that's how the boat came.)

I used a battery box from West Marine designed to hold two GC batteries. Corrosion has not been an issue. I use those little felt washers under each battery terminal and the terminal protector spray. Both should be available at any auto parts store or Wally World. I use this on our car, truck and tractor also.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Southern Maine
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I'm a fan. In '03 I built a shelf in the port cockpit locker and added two Trojan T-105's and a starting battery. I ran the 6 volts through a Link 10 and added a 60 watt solar panel and regulator. There is an echo charger between the house bank of 6 volts and the starter battery. Very simple installation and extremely simple. I did not replace the alternator at that time, but I have a high amp one ready to go when I get around to it. Haven't really needed it.

Now I have no power worries and for winter storage I shrinkwrap around the panel and let it trickle charge the batteries. I have been on a mooring all these years and always have plenty of power. Though I do have a fridge and below deck pilot I use fairly little power, probably less than most. I designed the system around a 50-75 amp hrs/day use.

I start the motor on all for the first start of the day and then switch to house and both batteries charge and when I shut off the motor I don't have to remember to switch anything. For winter, I simply check the batteries to make sure they have enough water and make sure the deck plug is secure and something is going into the bank. Ham Ferris at Hamilton Ferris Power Products suggested this set up and I really think it is simple, effective and rather elegant. Since I have been replacing the old bulbs with LED's my power consumption continues to go down. I have test run the fridge for two weeks in the summer without draining down the bank at the mooring ( now we are way up north with 17 hours of sunlight mind you).

I am a fan of the golf car batteries indeed. Best bank for the buck in my book.

Happy holidays!
Paul
Troy Scott

T-105 compared to T-125 and T-125 Plus

Post by Troy Scott »

All three of these batteries seem to have the same form factor. I'm guessing the second two are "improved" versions. Does anyone have experience or comments?
Regards,
Troy Scott
bottomscraper

T-105 vs T-105 Plus vs T-125 vs T-125 Plus

Post by bottomscraper »

The selection of terminal types varies. The T-125 & T-125 Plus have a slightly larger capacity. The T-105 Plus and the T-125 Plus are very slightly shorter (10 7/8" non-plus vs 10 11/16" for the plus versions)

http://www.trojanbattery.com/Products/d ... Marine.pdf

Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Southern Maine
TheSandPebbles
CD31 #18
Charleston, SC

Confused

Post by TheSandPebbles »

I'm looking to set up my new-to-me CD31 with new batteries and a solar setup that will work for long distance cruising. I really don't want to have to use the engine to charge batteries at all. The more I look into the more confused I get though. This thread keeps talking about 6V golf batteries, how does that work on a 12V system? I currently have 3 12V batteries. 2 of which I can't charge past 50%, so I'm assuming they're shot. Probably not a bad idea to have new ones anyway.
So what is the story with the 6V golfcart batteries? Is that a good setup for long distance cruising?
-Perry
S/V ALEXANDRA
CD31 #18
Charleston, SC
"Tough, Rugged, and Happy"
http://sailingexpeditionalexandra.blogspot.com/
Bill S

Post by Bill S »

Confused,

6 + 6 = 12

Two six volts in series is a twelve volt bank. This means negative from one battery hooked to positive of second battery. Like several other skippers on the board, I have two banks set up this way for the house. Also have a starting battery that can be paralleled (positive to positive and negative to negative) to the house for charging or emergency start. Very happy with the system. Batteries last for many cycles (more than five years so far). One problem - disappearing electrolyte when boat left without a load except bilge pump for long periods of time. Solution - battery charger on a timer allowing limited charging time per day.

Take a look at a book on 12 volt boat electrical systems. Nigel Caulder's for example.

Bill S