18" CD_ New owner

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Tony Maguire

18" CD_ New owner

Post by Tony Maguire »

I recently purchased a CD weekender. Looking her over, i realized that the cockpit drains directly into the part of the boat immediately under the cockpit. There are no hoses or lines. I also noticed that there is a metal cap over a through hull drain. Should the two cockpit drains connect to this through hull drain that is currently plugged. I really dont want to sink the boat first time out:)

New owner,

Tony
CD in FL
Tod M

Congrats, Tony!

Post by Tod M »

You will probably find the manual very helpful. See page 69 for a drawing showing the cockpit drain arrangement:

http://www.capedory.org/manuals/Ty-Ty%2 ... 30-30K.pdf

Yes, it sounds like you are missing some hoses.
ronkberg

DO NOT LAUNCH.......

Post by ronkberg »

Tony, the metal caps cover the place where seacocks should be installed. If you launch and the caps were to come off, your boat will fill with water...YES YOU WILL SINK!!

Tod M gave you the web connection to see how the cockpit drains should be attached. They drain through the hoses to the seacocks and then into the ocean below the water line.....NOTE THAT I SAID BELOW THE WATER LINE.

This is very important detail that must be addressed immediately.

It is not a difficult job and can be performed with simple tools, hoses, clamps and sealant. Search this site and you can find many discussions about installation of seacocks in Typhoons.

Good luck from another Typhoon owner.

Ron
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Sailing in Saco Bay, Maine
Tony Maguire

Thanks!

Post by Tony Maguire »

Those drawings are going to help quite a bit. However, being a sailing neophite, I am a little concerned that my cockpit deck is about level with the water line...maybe 2-3 inches above the WL. I'll know better once she is in the water. If that is the case, wouldn't that allow water to pass up through the seacock back into the cockpit?
Also, I thought I would share a little history about my CD...It should stir some interesting conversation. Apparrently, the original owner sailed her from Portugal or Spain...ok, somewhere along Europes west coast. He sailed it across the Atlantic and gave her away after reaching the shore. I am the third owner since this nut's journey -- that apparently took him 5-6 months and a rescue or two. Anyway, has anyone heard any stories about this?

Thanks again for helping me to not sink her on my first time out.

Tony
CD in FL
drb9

Post by drb9 »

Yes, particularly on leeward side, some water will come up through the scupper. Not much, though. And, it will drain out again when you tack.

I can't imagine why the previous owner closed off those drains, unless it was the water coming in while sailing that he didn't like, and he decided to have rain water drain from the cockpit into the bilge where it would be pumped out. That's a strategy that depends on batteries and bilge pumps not failing.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Sole Above Waterline

Post by Oswego John »

Tony,

There are two ways to check the elevation of the sole in relation to the waterline. Lay a straight piece of lumber across the top of the coamings, making sure that it extends outward past the side of the hull.

#1 If you trust your boot stripe, measure down to it from the bottom of the board. Next, measure from the bottom of the board to the top of the sole. Subtract the difference.

#2 With the boat floating in calm water and no one leaning over the side, measure down from the bottom of the board to the water. Subtract the board to sole measurement from the board to water mesurement.

As for capping off the self draining scuppers, anyone going on a long journey will have to bring along extra provisions, tools and spare equipment in order to sustain himself for the duration. The extra provisions and equipment weighs quite a bit of extra displacement and the hull will ride much lower in the water. Maybe it was heavy enough to place the sole below the waterline.

Just a thought,
O J
Tony Maguire

Post by Tony Maguire »

Thanks for all the help...I'll install a seacock this week and get the hoses hooked up.
CD in FL
ronkberg

You could forget the seacock

Post by ronkberg »

Tony, I have not closed my seacocks since installed so if you want to get sailing sooner then you could just clamp hoses from each drain to the through hull pieces that are now capped. Very interesting history for your boat and it just supports our belief that the Typhoon is truly a robust little yacht.

Good luck and keep us informed of your sailing fun.

Ron
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Sailing in Saco Bay, Maine