Bill Goldsmith reminded me. . .

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Judith

Bill Goldsmith reminded me. . .

Post by Judith »

In response to Evan, a new owner, he said, "This site was also a big factor in deciding to limit my looking to Cape Dorys, and that was 10 years ago!!"

That reminded me: I've wondered frequently about the history of this board, the various fleets, etc. Is there a history of the board somewhere? It's an awesome resource/ongoing enterprise, and I'd love to read about who started it and when and why and. . .and. . .and? I can't help myself: history was one of my half-dozen majors :D

Anybody have any answers? Or someplace to point me?

Cheers,
Judith
To unpathed waters, undreamed shores.
The Winter’s Tale. Act iv. Sc. 4.
Dean Abramson

My limited knowledge

Post by Dean Abramson »

Judith,

Back when I first started visiting, it was run by the California Cape Dory Association. There is a link to CCDSOA at he top of this page.

I am sure that Cathy M. can fill in the details.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Ed Haley

Before CDSOA

Post by Ed Haley »

Before the CDSOA was officially formed, we Cape Dory owners used to be on a message board from AOL. There was a separate section (I hesitate to call it a forum since all messages were similar to a dialog box) in a folder labeled SAILBOATS that had subfolders with various boat manufacturers, Cape Dory being one. In that folder we could read messages on various topics and post our responses. That was in the early 1990's. It was a nice place to visit and learn about our boats. I used to read messages by John Martin (our new CDSOA Treasurer) and others. I even tried to form a newsletter then for our CD Owners (I wonder what I would have called it - I say this because I write the MASTHEAD now, the newsletter of the CDSOA).

Then AOL changed their format and everything was in a strange order. It was hard to navigate and frustrating to use (at least for me). Around 1997, a new group was forming a Cape Dory organization. I wanted to go to the initial meeting but for some reason I could not. But that's another story I'll let the originators tell. They were the charter members of our organization.
barfwinkle

Archives

Post by barfwinkle »

Hello to all

I first visited the board when I was looking for Rhapsody. The board was registering about 2000 hits at the time. When the decision was made to change the board format 3 or 4 years ago, I thought there was an archive of the old post somewhere, but I cant find it now.

Cathy is away I think (in Florida or somewhere) and she'll chime in with the facts when she gets a chance.

But no one and deny nor argue the fact that this board is a huge value to any boat owner, not just CD owners. Further, I would argue that the information contained here adds a substantial value to our boats as well.

For those reasons and the fact that a portion of the dues our members pay go to support this board is reason alone to join the association, because I assure you, you'll save more than $40 by posting/asking/searching this board for information.

If you aren't a member of the CDSOA, and you own a CD please consider joining today.

Fair Winds

Bill Slater
Rear Commodore
CDSOA, Inc
Bill Member #250.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Check the link at the top of the page for the history of the California Cape Dory Owners Association. The board started with and was maintained by them until it was taken over by CDSOA.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

Back in the olden days when RESPITE's bronze was shining, the California group--read Walt Bilofsky--ran the website. It was a most generous offering by Walt; he paid all of the expenses. As the site grew in both "hits" and online data storage, the costs escalated. Walt requested volunteer contributions. Many responded.

At some point the CDSOA, accepted the cost of hosting the site. Catherine became our angel/webmistress and added features and really improved the functionality.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster (where we don't study history, we ask an old guy), VA
CDSOA Founding Member
Bob L

Post by Bob L »

If you look at the top of this page, where the links to various other pages, you'll see the LMCDOA link. For many of us on Lake Michigan, the Lake Michigan Cape Dory Association was the only CD group we knew about. The group formed in the '80s and still loosely exists; dues were no longer collected about 5 years ago and every so often a newsletter comes by email. The group did not, as far as I know, join the CDSOA.

I attended a rendezvous on the western shore of Lake Michigan (Manitowoc) in 1996 or 97 and saw a CD 25, 25D, 26, several 28s, 2 30s and a 36.

I browsed the LMCDOA site and saw my old 27, Aniara, still listed as a member boat.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

CD message board history....

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

The message board was originally a resource provided by the California Cape Dory Owners Association (CCDOA), which was founded in 1994 and was the brainchild of Bay area CDers Mike Fahy and Walt Bilofsky. Walt became their webmaster and created and maintained their web site. The message board went live in October 1996.

In 1996, Al Lawton called a meeting of Chesapeak Bay CDers and the Cape Dory Sailboat Owners Association (CDSOA, Inc.) was formed. The CCDOA then maintained a single web page for the CDSOA as well as the web pages for the Tiburon Yacht Club.

In June of 1999, I became the assistant webmaster and helped Walt manage the message board, the registry of boats, maintain the pages we already had and created new pages as we collected additional info. I also ran the backups.

In January 2000, Leo MacDonald called a meeting of CDers in the northeast to discuss forming an organization. Since the CDSOA already existed and their by-laws provided for the formation of regional fleets, those present opted to become the Northeast Fleet of the CDSOA rather than forming another organization. The formation of the Northeast Fleet caused the automatic formation of the Chesapeake Fleet. Up until that time, there were no 'fleets'. At that time, not only was I the assistant webmaster for the CCDOA, I became the webmaster for the CDSOA.

In March 2000, CDSOA officer Mitch Bober registered the capedory.org domain name. By that time our web site had grown from a single page to many but contained information which was mostly specific to the CDSOA with links to the resources on the CCDOA's web site -- no need to duplicate already existing info. The message board continued to be administered by the CCDOA.

In April 2002 the CDSOA was asked to take over much of the information that was being provided by the CCDOA -- including the message board. Walt and I kind of swapped positions and I became webmaster and Walt became assistant webmaster. The message board was transferred to the CDSOA as well as all of the boat specifications pages and anything that was in the 'Cape Dory Info' and 'Where to Look' sections at that time. Much has been added since then. The registry of boats remains under the stewardship of the CCDOA.

In May 2003, Bob Dugan made the mistake of volunteering to help improve the performance of the message board. It was a space hog and slow, the database was inefficient, and it was becoming increasingly more difficult to manage. Folks liked its ease of use, but it had to go. So Bob became our "webmeister". Around that time we also started looking for and evaluating replacement bulletin board software.

September 2003, after experiencing some problems with our ISP and server performance, we decided it was time to change ISPs and started looking for a new one. In February 2004, we changed ISPs and moved both web sites (CCDOA and CDSOA).

In November 2004 we submitted our proposal to the CDSOA Board of Directors with our recommendation to switch from WWWBoard to phpBB software for the message board. We set up a test area and asked folks to use it, to comment and supply suggestions. If we could implement changes based on their suggestions, we did. And in February 2005 the new Cape Dory Board was implemented in the form that we are currently using.

Cathy
CDSOA Webmaster
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay

PS: Meet your current web team:
  • Catherine Monaghan, CDSOA Webmaster -- Username: Cathy Monaghan
    Walt Bilofsky, Assistant Webmaster -- Username: bilofsky
    Bob Dugan, Data Webmeister & Moderator -- Username: bobdugan
    Bill Slater, Moderator -- Username: barfwinkle
NOTE: To contact one of us, just click on our Username then click on either the "email" or "pm" button to send us a message OR send an e-mail to <a href="mailto:webmaster@capedory.org">webmaster@capedory.org</a>.
Last edited by Cathy Monaghan on Mar 26th, '08, 18:17, edited 3 times in total.
SeaBelle
Sea Belle
Hail port: Rockland, ME

With Gratitude

Post by SeaBelle »

Thank you Cathy for a great history. And thank you to all those who made it happen, often 'backstage', over the years and today. You are the often unsung heroes of our community.
Sail on,
Jack
CD28 Sea Belle
Hailport - Rockland, ME

There are old sailors and bold sailors, but there are no old, bold sailors.

Reef early and often. It's easier to shake out a reef when one is bored than it is to tuck one in when one is scared.

When your only tool is a hammer, all your problems look like nails.
barfwinkle

// for Cathy

Post by barfwinkle »

Wasn't there an archive of the old post when we firstmoved to the new ISP/server?

Bill
Bill Member #250.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Re: // for Cathy

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

barfwinkle wrote:Wasn't there an archive of the old post when we firstmoved to the new ISP/server?

Bill
Hi Bill,

We didn't archive anything (we used to when we were still using the old message board software). When we moved to the new software, we uploaded ALL of the posts from all of the archives. So ALL of the posts are right here.

Want to see the very first post? Just scroll down to the bottom of any page while viewing the "Cape Dorys" discussion forum (the discussion forum, not a posting or message thread) and click on the page number for the very last post (actually, it's the first page). Right now it's page 410 but it may change by the time you read this. Then scroll to the bottom of the page. The first posting was made on October 19, 1996 by Russ Campbell.

Cathy
CDSOA Webmaster
barfwinkle

Thank you Cathy and

Post by barfwinkle »

Speaking of Russ Campbell, he sent me my VERY FIRST pic of a CD 28 Many Many years ago.

Thanks for the information. WOW my first post 4/28/97 asking about the pricing of a CD25D! In September of '97 I bought Rhapsody!

bs
Bill Member #250.
mike ritenour

Ten years in a few days

Post by mike ritenour »

This thread got me searching the old pages and I sea my first posting on 033098, wow.

Lots of friends, awesome sailing, great information from my fellow CDSOA'ers

Rit

s.v. LaVida
CD33
Judith

That's what I'M talkin' about!

Post by Judith »

Thanks so much for the information, yall, it's quite fascinating!

Dean, Neil: Thanks for pointing out the California link. They have a little "history of our organization" section that was quite informative. Who'd a-thunk my home state would have a seminal place in what seems, to me, such a New-Englandy concern?

Cathy: Thanks for the excellent chronology--trés interesting!

Everyone else: Thank you for chiming in! I'm amazed at how enduring this community has been. As a newbie, I'm hoping I can do something similar, and 10-15 years from now say, "Hey, lookit that! My first post was X years ago." :D

Cheers,
Judith
To unpathed waters, undreamed shores.
The Winter’s Tale. Act iv. Sc. 4.
Chris Reinke
Location: CD330 - Innisfail (Gaelic for "A Little Bit Of Heaven on Earth"), Onset, MA

and the Grog had a hand in how we grew

Post by Chris Reinke »

Cathy - Thanks for the history summary. One point that I noticed was missing and may have been significant in how the organizations merged and grew was the amount of libations consumed with wonderful folks and a passion for our CD's. Back in 1998 I had posted a very innocent question "Any CD owners in New England Interested in a NE Rendezvous". The response was unbelievable and we had folks from the Chesapeake and even Walt Bilofski from San Francisco attend. It was amazing!

While the history summary you provided shows the chronological sequence of events, I think it is important to remember that the folks like Walt, Leo, yourself, and so many others are the main reason for the success of the board. I am not sure how you would summarize that in a historical perspective, but I think you are being your usual modest self and selling yourself short if you don't.