Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender -- Between the forward berths

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

M-Head Sailing

Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender -- Between the forward berths

Post by M-Head Sailing »

I am looking for the item that sits between the two forward berths, which I believe is an ice chest, and/or the cushion, if available. Please let me know. I and the boat are in Marblehead, MA.
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

You posted this on the "Buy/Sell" portion of this board which may be a reason no one has responded yet to your question.

I am by no means knowledgeable about Cape Dory sailboats. I do not yet even own one. However, I have looked at a few Typhoon Weekenders. I'll take a stab at an answer. Others on this board will shortly provide better, more accurate detail.

If I understand your description correctly, the area in between the two V berths was intended for a small porta potty. On some Ty Weekenders I have seen "fiddles" (probably not the correct term) affixed vertically along the side of the V berth. A piece of wood (perhaps 2' x 2' x 1/2") slides down into these fiddles to partially enclose and conceal the porta potty. On top there is another piece of wood that sits on top of the three edges of the V berths and the edge of the piece of wood that is positioned vertically. Cushions can then be placed over the V berths and a small cushion over the top of the covered porta potty.

You could possibly fit an ice chest in the space instead of a porta potty but it would have to be a very small ice chest (one that would hold only 8-10 Guinness :!: ) :)

Congratulations on buying a CD Ty Weekender :!: My search continues.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Dick Villamil

Ty weekender between the bunks

Post by Dick Villamil »

On my Typhoon I placed a porta potti in this space but will probaboy us it for an anchor locker in the future and only store the porta potti when I plan of spending the night. There is a vertical board with projections and a fiddle on it that support a trapezoidal cover that supports a filler cushion. The porta potti has to be squat to fin this space. Once I build a mast support I am not certain what I will do except modify the trapezoidal wood support to allow the mast support. There are several good photos of this area in previous posts regarding mast supports where you can see what others have used this space for. Good lock - she is nice boat. I only have another 2 months before the snow is melted and I can get Victoria into the water.
Dan & Chris
2007 Melonseed Skiff "Sprout"
Linekin Bay, ME

Re: Ty weekender between the bunks

Post by Dan & Chris »

Dick Villamil wrote:I only have another 2 months before the snow is melted and I can get Victoria into the water.
If this week's weather is any indication, it may be longer than that. We are definately ready to go Typhoon sailing again!

Dan
GLutzow

Post by GLutzow »

I purchased my Typhoon Weekender new in 1981. There is a wooden bridge that sits over that space between the bunks and the a trapezoidal shaper cushion that covers the wood Going vertically from the deck and meeting this piece of wood is another piece that slides into the slots on either side. This piece has a cutout at the top to ease removal. I usually put a small Ice Chest in there. I sold my TY just this summer (after 26years) and upgraded to a CD25 that I restored so I am unable to provide you with any pictures. Perhaps someone else can do that.
Greg Lutzow
Nokomis, FL

CD25
"Beau Soleil"
sailing off a mooring in Sarasota Bay

With nothin' but stillness as far as you please
An' the silly mirage stringin' islands an' seas.
Mike Wainfeld
Bayshore, NY

Photo

Post by Mike Wainfeld »

GLutzow

Post by GLutzow »

Thank you sir. I can't believe that in all the years I owned my TYW I never took a picture below decks. From the looks of the picture I must compliment you on the condition of you ship.
Greg Lutzow
Nokomis, FL

CD25
"Beau Soleil"
sailing off a mooring in Sarasota Bay

With nothin' but stillness as far as you please
An' the silly mirage stringin' islands an' seas.
Mike Wainfeld
Bayshore, NY

"Beau Soleil"

Post by Mike Wainfeld »

Thanks Greg-Bonne Chance avec "Beau Soleil"! I've had "Regalo" for 11 years, I guess I'll keep her for 15 more. :)
Mike