typhoon tiller extension

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

ckelly

typhoon tiller extension

Post by ckelly »

Does anyone have suggestions for a tiller extension on a typhoon? I would like to be able to sit a little farther forward (tight to the cabin) in order to better see the jib luff. Plus when sailing alone the boat may be better balanced and faster when the skipper is forward. Materials, length, fasteners, securing to tiller when not in use, etc. would help. Or is it a bad idea?
Thanks in advance, Chris
sloopjohnl

Post by sloopjohnl »

i made one for DAERAY out of a round wooden drawer pull for the hands-on end, attached to a length of 3/4 round wood stock and used a fitting from west marine. the fitting is a pin that goes into a drilled hole at one end of the woodstock and fits into a receiver cylinder which is set in a drilled hole in the tiller. the pin has a small ball in the end that compresses when the pin is placed in the cylinder and then pops out to secure the pin when it passes thru the cylinder. it is not very long and is only used when i singlehand. it is a simple in and out when you want it. sorry, but i forget who makes the fitting but you should be able to find it on the tiller extensions page of a west marine catalog or others.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Typhoon Tiller Extension

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Chris,

I couldn't help but notice the multiple posts made by you. I have no problem with them. As a matter of fact, I smiled when I saw them tonight.

It reminded me of a few or more years back when I was a newbie with my first computer. I tried to send in my very best attempt at posting on this board. Yup, you guessed right, something like three or four copies of the same post were posted by me on this board. I remember that Cathie very discretely PMed me about my case of itchy finger-itis and, I think, a cure for it. I can't recall too well because of my embarrassment.

But all is not lost. Since that boo boo that I made, I have since learned that if I scroll to the extra posts, in the upper right corner of the unwanted copies I would find a small box with an "X" in it. When I clicked on the "X", it would prepare to delete the extra post. I would be asked if I really wanted to delete the post, click yes or no. If I clicked yes, poof, the unwanted extra post was history. Truly cyber magic. Almost like someone preplanned it to happen. :D

Now, this will erase the unwanted post if someone hasn't already commented on it, like I'm now doing. I don't believe that you or I can erase it. If your other two copies havent been answered, you should be able to erase them.

BTW, I used to have a tiller extension that I haven't used in years. If I could ever find it somewhere in the shop, I'll send it to you. But don't hold your breath waiting for it. You have no idea what my shop looks like. I fear that it has disappeared forever like so many of the tools that I know that are in there somewhere.

Best regards,
O J
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Typhoon Tiller Extension

Post by Neil Gordon »

Oswego John wrote:I couldn't help but notice the multiple posts made by you.
He's just trying to catch up to us.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

If you just need to make the tiller longer, would a length of PVC pipe slipped over the end solve the problem? Maybe cushion the inside with a foam sleeve. Would be handy if the tiller ever snapped in half, too.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Steve Laume

Line control

Post by Steve Laume »

Chris, what about using line instead of an extension? If you mounted four small blocks to your combing boards you could run a continuos line across the companionway aft and low along the seat backs then straight to the end of the tiller. I know it sounds like a lot or rigging to get a simple job done and would not be intuitive to a dinghy sailor. It would allow you to steer the boat from anywhere in the cockpit. It may or may not be less in the way. You would not have to drill a hole in your beautiful and rather slender, teak, tiller.

What brought this to mind, is that I am thinking of eliminating the tiller on my CD-14. The thing is very much in the way on that little boat. Especially with two people on board. I want to make a yoke and run lines forward to steer her with.

If you wanted to add a hiking stick to your tiller and didn't want to weaken or disfigure it by drilling a hole or holes in it you could always attach the bracket with serving. Many tight wraps of very light line or sail twine to hold it in place with some varnish would do it. To pretty it up at the end a couple of turks heads would look very nice. You could attach the clip the same way. The Ty tiller has such a nice feel, it would be a shame to have the hiking stick in the way all the time you were sailing her from a "normal" position.

I used to tie a piece of shock cord across the cleats to the tiller and she was happy to sail that way long enough to take a stroll around deck or attend to other thugs. What a fine boat the Typhoon is, Steve.
rtbates

adj tiller extender

Post by rtbates »

I know exactly what you mean.
I use a Forespar adj extender so that I can sit under the dodger.
The beauty of the adjustment is that you can use it braced against lee coaming to hold the tiller in a 'locked', but very easy to release, position..

Available at WM.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Lang

home made tiller extension

Post by Lang »

Chris,

It really helps to have one.

I have a complete home made tiller extension. If you like, I can take some pictures of it this weekend and pm to you.

My "ingredients" are,
15"x 1/2" copper pipe,
2"x5"x1/8" bronze plate.
A few bolts.
1.5"x1.5"x1" teak
A piece of leather.

Cheers!
Lang

pictures.

Post by Lang »

Just went out to get those pictures. But I dont know how to post it here. So if you interested to see it, PM me your email address.