36 boat length

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Leonard Lookner

36 boat length

Post by Leonard Lookner »

I just got a bill for winter storage for our 36. They charged me for 40 feet. I disagreed. although our boat has a custom bowsprit that is 6 inches longer than standard, It still must be no more than 37 feet end to end.
So, has anyone out there experienced a 40 foot 36 footer or if the yard is jerking me around about length, and if so should I be concerned about the billed hours.
Tod M

It might be that they charge in increments

Post by Tod M »

Hi, Leonard

It might be that they charge in increments rather than by actual measurement. Your agreement/paperwork should clarify that.

Kind of like paying for a 30' slip when your boat is 27'.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

CD36 LOA 38' 6" without modifications....

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

The standard, as built, LOA of the CD36, including the bowsprit, is 38' 5.5". For all practical purposes, that's 38' 6". Add 6" to that and you've got a 39-foot boat. The LOD of the CD36 (what you'll see on the specs page as LOA) is 36' 1.5".

I know how you feel. Our CD32 has an LOD of 32' 2" but her LOA is 34' 2". So we have to pay for a 35-footer wherever we go. So our CD32 costs us more to store or berth than a CD33!

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Last edited by Cathy Monaghan on Mar 5th, '08, 17:46, edited 1 time in total.
David van den Burgh

CD36

Post by David van den Burgh »

I've measured our CD36 from stem to stern, and she's 39'.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Maybe they measured around the curve of the hull with the tape measure. They'd get a little extra that way.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Evergreen
Location: 1986 Cape Dory 36 - Hull # 139 - "Evergreen" - kept at Great Island Boat Yard - Maine

Charge for extra feet

Post by Evergreen »

Our marina also charges us for an extra two feet. Actually, I was also wondering if I was being taken for a ride. In fact, the tape measure is with the rest of our stuff that is going to the boat next time.

Glad to hear that perhaps the marina is indeed honest and that I don't have to worry about anything except coming up with the extra money.

Philip & Sharon
Philip & Sharon
https://share.delorme.com/ADVNTURUNLIMITD (Where is Evergreen?)
http://northernexposurein2013.blogspot.com/ (Link to older blogs)
Russell

Post by Russell »

I have been to a lot of marinas and it varies a lot, tends to be a regional thing. Some places take the documented length and charge for that (36') some measure and charge actual LOA (it stinks having the bowsprit and windvane then!) and some charge based on the size slip you use (if your in a 45' slip, you pay for 45'). Its not dishonesty, just different practices, I have learned to ask and be sure first so I get no suprises. Some places often have a minimum, which is commonly 40, even a 30' boat will get charged for 40 in that case, but I find those places, if not anywhere near full, will often set aside the minimum (if they are near full, they wont though).
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Jim Walsh

CD31 LOA

Post by Jim Walsh »

My CD31 was hauled out at a boatyard in Bristol, R.I. when I bought her. They are one of those yards who charge by the inch and they measured her at 33'8" LOA to calculate her yard bill. The CD31 is 31'4" LOD. Her current boatyard hasn't taken to measuring between perpendiculars to calculate their bills.