Typhoon roller furling headsail

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

vtsailor
Charlotte, VT

Typhoon roller furling headsail

Post by vtsailor »

Ahoy group. I am seriously considering making the leap to a furling headsail this season. I'm looking for feedback on what size sail folks have found works best. I'm leaning towards a 135.
I'm anxious to hear what the board has to say. I'm also interested in any opinions that would dissuade me from going to a furler.
________
Stock picks
Last edited by vtsailor on Feb 15th, '11, 08:55, edited 1 time in total.
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

hi....

Post by winthrop fisher »

years ago i had a snap roller furling made for my typhoon and with a 135% for coastal sailing which works great.

but because i live in kansas city area and we have large lakes here, i had a 150% made and it works better for light winds.

but i would say get a snap roller furling, because it is easy to put on and take it off for winter.

also it snaps over your forestay and you just leave it there all the time.

the cost is around $400 snap roller furling plus shipping,
plus the sail 135% cost around $300 to $375,

make sure the company you go to has the information for typhoons.

its on both my boats, typhoon and cd22.

hope that helps ......winthrop
ronkberg

Typhoon Furler

Post by ronkberg »

Hi vtsailor, last spring I installed a CDI furler and had my 150% hank-on genoa modified for the furler. I sailed mostly with the sail fully extended but shortened up when going hove-to and it worked very well.

I sail 100% singlehanded and I enjoy the ability to modify the head sail without needing to go forward when the conditions get rough. The genoa is not shaped for best advantage when partially furled, but I am not trying to squeeze out racing speed .......after all it is a cruiser.......and just want to have the confidence of being in control. Typhoons are great little boats and will traverse through heavy seas, chop and swells, and can be counted on to get us back to safe port. Now I feel more confident because I can stay in the cockpit and control sails even in challenging conditions. Gets rather wet at times, but the boat will make it and I plan to stay at the controls as we head back home.

Ron
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Sailing in Saco Bay, Maine
Appleton68

Post by Appleton68 »

I went to the furling jib last year & it worked out fine. Adds one more line to the boat and you always have the sheets out, but it is very easy to use. I bought a second hand jib so I'm not sure of the size, but it is smaller than my orignal jib which I beleive was a 150.
Greg