Winter comes to Miami

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bob DuPont
Pelican
Hull 182
Miami, Florida

Winter comes to Miami

Post by Bob DuPont »

A chilly South Florida greeting to all.

Brisk NW winds to gale force and a high of about 58 degrees means that winter has us in its fiercest grip. And those of us who have no active memory of what winter really can be are bundled up and still shivering.

As it turns out, my wife and I really are fair-weather sailors (translated: sailing wimps).

We had planned a quick overnight sail trip to Biscayne National Park just after Christmas on Pelican. Well, the wind was 2 knots, the temperature was in the 80s and we decided not to brave the voracious mosquitos and no-see-ums that dwell by the billions on Boca Chita and Elliott Key. Better to wait for cooler weather,we said.

Well, the cooler weather came last night, just in time for our scheduled departure this morning. Did I say that we are sailing wimps? So, we took stock of the current conditions: much too cold for our delicate constitutions. We read the forecast for a 40-degree night with 20-30 knot NW-to-N winds. We laid out our cold weather gear: a few old sweaters and two baseball caps.

And decided to wait for warmer weather.

Luckily, down here that wait usually isn't too long. Hooray, wind is veering tomorrow to the NE at 15 to 20 knots, temp is going to 70 daytime and 60 night. Much closer to our comfort range. So, we' head out in the morning.

I don't know how you guys living in chilly climes do it. My hat is off to you sailing through all matter of wind chill. I guess it must be true that the longer one lives down here, the thinner the blood gets.

Here's a toast to spring! May it come soon for all. Happy New Year.
Bob D
Cape Dory 27
Hull 182
"Pelican"
rtbates

and ALL of Fla?

Post by rtbates »

I heard that it's expected to freeze in most of Fla such that the orange groves are in danger. Winter is very evil!!!
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

PELICAN, ARE YOU CRAZY?

Post by Zeida »

Hi, Bob...

I don't think you and wife will be going out tomorrow either... - from 9 pm tonight (Wed). to 9 am tomorrow the forcast calls for wind chill weather in the low 30's, wind gusting to 20 or higher...

I was on my boat all afternoon, at the dock, that is, freezing my behind. Had to finally put on my old Eddie Bauer parka to just remain in the cockpit. However, it was a stunning, beautiful sunny afternoon and great sunset. Maybe the weekend will give us Miamians a better day for sailing... back into the 70's at least.
Happy New Year from your fellow Cape Dorian.
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Bob DuPont
Pelican
Hull 182
Miami, Florida

BRRRRRRRRRR

Post by Bob DuPont »

Zaida, you are right. I was being a cockeyed optimist yesterday. This morning I took the dog for a walk on Collins Avenue and both of us were frozen nearly solid after our usual morning mile.

So we wimped out again on sailing.

And rescheduled for Sunday into Monday after all the weekend revelers have departed Boca Chita.That should give it enough time to warm up a bit.
Bob D
Cape Dory 27
Hull 182
"Pelican"
Zeida

Post by Zeida »

Hi, Bob... If the weather cooperates and you are sailing Sunday into Monday, are you overnighting at Boca Chita? If so, maybe we can join you there. Cheers

Zeida
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Phil Shedd
Rothesay NB Canada
Membership # 89

Cold up north

Post by Phil Shedd »

Hold up there the lot of you . I know it may seem cool to you but in the Northeast it has been no fun.

Yesterday we had 12 " of new snow and then the temperature fell. This morning it was -22C or -4F . Did not get much warmer during the day.

So feel sorry for us up north :D

Phil
Zeida

Post by Zeida »

Well, then, what is all these about "global warming"? Seems to me it's global freezing everywhere! :roll: I would not like to be in your skin right now. We're having our two days of winter weather down here in Miami, but by the weekend, we hope to be back to normal. This is our sailing season, but we DO feel sorry for you guys :cry:
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Bob DuPont
Pelican
Hull 182
Miami, Florida

Northern chill

Post by Bob DuPont »

Phil,

I certainly feel your pain. We lived in Cooperstown for a few years and I remember vividly the 25-degree-below-0 Christmas Day that our furnace decided to quit. Luckily the fuel oil guys work on the holiday and we had our heat back by the time the inside temperature hit 50 degrees.

We certainly appreciate our lovely winters down here. Which is especially good for us fair-weather sailors.

We're wishing you and early spring and splashdown.

Bob
Bob D
Cape Dory 27
Hull 182
"Pelican"