The sailing season begins!

Cruising on your Cape Dory? Let us know your whereabouts and post cruise updates here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Russell

The sailing season begins!

Post by Russell »

I know I know, many of you are putting your yachts away for the winter, but in the Caribbean now that hurricane threats are (mostly) gone, my season begins! I decided to spend my birthday to do the first sail of this season and sailed away from crime ridden Trinidad back to Grenada, one of my favorite spots in these parts. What was forecast to be a terrific sail (15 knots with 4' seas) turned out to be a motor sail from 7am to midnight with 6 knots on the nose, but midnight rolled around (and my birthday over!!) the wind picked up and I had a lovely sail and anchored here in St George at 3am. Pleased to find free wifi (and an email box full of well wishers for my b-day). So its pushing 4am now and I am still winding down from my sail and enjoying my belated bday rum, cant go overboard as I have to dinghy in to clear customs in a few hours!

I will stay in Grenada a month then sail to Bequia (another favorite spot) to spend christmas, then on up the chain to St Martin and still not sure what after that.

I envied reading about everyones lovely sails in New England this summer while I was hunkered down with an eye on the weather, so its my turn now!
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
NevisTyphoon
Hull # 47

Time to sail indeed!

Post by NevisTyphoon »

Hey Russell - make sure to stop by Nevis on your way up to St Martin. Will be in the states for Xmas/New Years, but will be back on island Jan 6....

Regards,

Chris
Chris Thompson
Nevis, West Indies

Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving. We must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it-but sail we must, and not drift, nor lie at anchor
Oliver Wendell Holmes
wingreen

Same here in FL

Post by wingreen »

Here in FL it's a little too hot to sail much in the summer. The Gulf gets up to 85 degrees and it keeps everything hot, even at night. My wife can't take it, but we have two sail-dates set for the Thanksgiving holiday.
chase

southward

Post by chase »

Anne Freeman now lies at 31° N and I'm looking forward to some mild winter sailing.

Russell hows that new solar array?
Did you ever repower?

Chase
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Chase, lower Georgia?! How far are you going this year? What arrangements are you making to leave the boat? I could see Raven in a warmer place one of these winters, Steve.
chase

GA

Post by chase »

Steve,

Boat lies in St. Simons, GA for indefinite future. Was going to sail her home in Feb but not sure I'm going to. There's a chance I'll sail her to the Bahamas this winter, but probably not. Will head south from there at some point, only 300 miles from Bahamas now.

The boat is 400 miles from the house, same as before, just warmer in winter when the farmer has vacation.

Full account of adventure forthcoming.

Chase