THE LAST VOYAGE OF WINDY II

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

THE LAST VOYAGE OF WINDY II

Post by Oswego John »

Hi all,

No, everything is fine. No fire, no shipwreck, no disaster of any kind.

I just finished reading a lengthy email from some old friends of mine. It was from Capt. Bob M. and his wife who are owners and operators of two four masted schooners. They are Windy and Windy II and sail daily and weekly charters out of Navy Pier, Chicago, on Lake Michigan.

It seems that Windjammer Cruises has, or is about to go belly up. A group of people in the Caribbean have gone into contract to purchase Windy II, a 150' barquentine schooner with a gaff rigged spanker. Windy II will be renamed Phoenix Dawn and will essentially sail charters in the Caribbean, possibly the home port in Trinidad.

The email was a tale of timing, fighting the clock as well as the calendar. One major stipulation of the sale was that the ship had to be available for use in southern waters for the coming winter season. To be available entailed travelling from Chicago up Lake Michigan,under the Mackinac, past the mitt, around the thumb and southward on Huron.

Then it had to transit Lake Erie, kill a day passing through the Welland Canal and resume sailing across Lake Ontario. From Mackinac onward, it was hard to imagine the weather getting any worse than it was. The ship pulled into Saginaw Bay and had a cable installed as a rear stay to stiffen the four masts and bowsprit.

Time was running out rapidly. The ship operates 24 hours non stop. Under normal circumstances, there would have been ample time for a normal delivery. However, due to the low water level on the lakes and rivers, boaters were notified that The Erie Barge Canal would be shut down two weeks earlier than normal due to low water. Windy II has to reach The Hudson River via the Erie canal before the 1st of November.

Windy is passing across Lake Erie today and hopefully will arrive in Oswego tomorrow or Friday to unstep her masts. It's a good three day passage across the Erie Canal. It doesn't operate at night time. Windy II is sweating out her draft in regard to the low water level.

I had the good fortune to sail on part of the deliveries of both schooners. Both were constructed in Charleston, SC and were delivered to Chicago's Navy Pier. The thought is heavy on my mind whether I should take one last passage southward, just for old times sake.

Yes, this will be the last voyage of Windy II and the beginning of a new era.
bill2

gone

Post by bill2 »

OJ

Reading your post the message that comes through loud and clear is what Windy and Windy II mean to you.

I'm reminded of the cliche that the only thing that remains the same is that everything changes.

If it were me I would do whatever I could to make that last voyage on Windy II - and I would unabashedly tote a camera to record her every nuance for posterity.

Good Luck
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

At least she'll be spared a trip to the ship breakers yard to be rendered into scrap. So although she'll be gone from The Lakes she'll live on elsewhere. That's somewhat comforting.
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Len

sailing to trinadad

Post by Len »

Need crew on the barq's journey to the carib?
Ignorance is the mother of adventure.

http://www.sail0rman.com
Russell

Post by Russell »

Any ETA on its arrival here in Trinidad?
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Oswego John

ETA In Trinidad

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Russell,

I just got word that Windy II is sailing across Lake Ontario as you read this. It is expected to arrive in Oswego this afternoon. I will know more details soon, after all the hugs and hellos are completed

The transfer of ownership will be consumated in Nyack, on the Hudson, in a little over a week. Then a delivery to Trinidad for minor updating, all in time for a winter schedule

I thought of you as I first wrote this. Between you being in Trinidad and the fleet having the common name Phoenix, (I was thinking of Fred and Fenix,) I thought what a coincidence this is.

Gotta go. I have a very important rendezvous this afternoon.

All the best to everyone,
O J
chase

a new chapter

Post by chase »

The richness of your account is not lost on me, OJ.

Hopefully she'll stay off of the bottom.

Chase
Russell

Post by Russell »

Well if she arrives in Trini before I leave, I will be sure to snap a photo for you so you can see she made it safely to her new home. Most likely I will be gone before they arrive though. Find out if she is stopping in any other islands on the way down so I can keep an eye out for her.

By all means sign up as crew, I will buy you a beer down here.
Russell
Oswego John

The Last Voyage *AS* Windy II

Post by Oswego John »

Warren, Len, Bill2, Chase, Russell and all,
(Did I get everyone?)

Well, here it is Saturday morning, a typically slow day for the board. What better time for me to make needed corrections, fill in the info that I was remiss to offer in my previous post, and to mention some pertinent changes that might affect boaters.

When the subject of a schooner is brought into a conversation, oftentimes it brings with it a mental vision of an old, heavily planked, creaking wooden hull and spars, along with patched canvas and a myriad of weather worn rigging lines. I now realize that I hadn't mentioned that Windy II is a relatively new ship, constructed in 2001. It is constructed of steel and has metal spars. When talking about toys and whistles, Windy II (W2), and other ships of it's genre have more than all that the USCG mandates for commercial duty. Hopefully, W2 won't see the boneyard for many decades to come.

I did say that W2 was a barquentine rigged schooner with a gaff rig spanker. Not so. I erred on that. The three aftmost masts are topsail, gaff rigged. The foremast is square rigged. Somewhere I got the idea that this might be called a Hermaphrodite rig. Anyone know? It is powered by a 450 HP Cummins diesel, single screw. She was recently converted to a folding prop. The captain takes his tall ship racing seriously.

We did go down to the dock and watched W2 enter the harbour and ease up to the dock. They wouldn't let me catch the hawser and make fast to the bollard. My son Mike handled the lines fore and aft. W2 has returned. After being welcomed aboard, we all shared hugs and hellos and were brought up to date with all that has happened through the years. It sure felt good to feel her deck under foot. Sadly we learned that some of the old hands are not with us anymore. Some of the younger crew hands and hand-esses have gotten married and took off for places unknown. The captains youngest daughter, who had the official title of cabin girl when I last saw her, has now earned her captains license and is sailing somewhere in the Chesapeake region.

There are some luxuries and some necessities that are sorely desired while cruising extensively. A long, soothing, unrushed shower is high on the list. Mike used his pickup to haul out weeks worth of bags of garbage. While in a distant port, hauling a crew of this size's laundry to the laundromat is no easy task. Then there is the mandatory trek to the supermarket to restock the pantry for the next segment of the journey. The balance of the logistics must be taken care of, as well. Top off the fresh water, pump out the colored waters, refuel also. Sometimes, prescriptions have to be refilled, toothaches being taken care of, eyeglasses repaired and who knows, who can foretell what has to be taken care of while in port for a short duration. Everything seems to work out, somehow.

And now, to the bad news and the good news. W2 pulled into Oswego late Thursday afternoon. Much had to be done to make ready before the crane pulls the masts. Everything that comes down has to be stored away for the canal trip. The spars have to be laid on deck and sails, rigging, fixed and movable, have to be coiled, labeled and carried below. There isn't very much available space to move, above or below.

As I had mentioned earlier, timing is of the essence. The W2 wasn't ready to pull the masts on Friday. The crane operator and riggers don't work weekends. Monday will be the earliest opportunity to unstep the masts.

The good news is that it has been, and will continue to, rain cats and dogs in this area. I can't say that the river and canal is rising, but at least it isn't falling any more.

I didn't hear this officially, but I learned from several sources that the canal locks will shut down November 1st for the snow bunnies and other non commercial craft. The locks will remain open for one extre week for commercial traffic, which would include W2.

Len, as to crewing on W2, the present crew will deliver W2 to the lower Hudson River, at Nyack. There , it will be turned over to the new owners who will continue on to Trinidad with their own crew.
Since Windy, the original, is put away for the winter in Chicago, the W2 crew won't have any work until next spring.

Russell, I will take a wild guestimate that if W2 leaves Nyack in about a week, add to that about two to three weeks, W2 might be pulling into Trini sometime before Thanksgiving. Just a guess.

And no. I won't be taking a last trip on W2. My priggish doctor won't hear of it. Bummer. Maybe it's time to look for another MD.

A great weekend to all.
O J
Russell

Post by Russell »

Well, if all goes to my plans I wont be in Trini anymore when Windy is likely to arrive. But, as we all know, cruising plans rarely work out as intended. So if I am here I assure you that I will get a picture of her! I will certainly notice her as the only dock setup for handling private boats of that size are in plain view when I am on deck (all other big docks only deal with ships).
Russell
plumber

Windy II

Post by plumber »

John,
At 11:30 Windy II passed by my house on the Oswego River Canal. It's sort of a sad thing. I have had the opportunity of seeing this boat under sail in the past and will probably never have the another chance.
I have been watching for it since your first post, I'm happy to have caught it on it's way. Fine looking vessel. I think it would be nice to have people chime in if they see it on it's journey.
Brace
Ed Haley

Water level on the Erie

Post by Ed Haley »

OJ and others:
You'll be happy to hear that there's plenty of water at Delta Lake, which feeds the Erie Canal at it's high point. The water was about 8 inches below the dam having risen about 5 feet in the last 2 weeks with all the rain. No problems for Windy 2 reaching the Hudson. Should be a great week to cross.
Oswego John

Great Week For Transit

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Ed, Brace and all,

I certainly don't want to belabor this thread. This will probably be the last post that I make on the subject. In the interest of brevity, (which isn't my forté) I'm sure to omit some facts which would lend color to the story.

Forget about timing and schedules, the previous week's weather made a shambles of the best laid plans of mice and sailors. From the time Windy II (W2) left the Welland Canal, which connects Lake Erie to Lake Ontario, (the other alternate route is the Niagara Falls), W2 fought weather and seas with waves averaging eight feet. W2 handled it without a whimper. Can't say that about the bruised and battered crew.

Schedules, fawgedaboudit. W2 was going to leave Oswego Harbour Tuesday at 06:45 AM, destination palm trees. Not to be. Monday evening, we sat around in the great room in the stern of W2, chewing the fat and reminiscing old times, not realizing how late it had gotten. By the time we had the last hugs, swapped addresses and new phone numbers, it was late, very late. We lost track of the time. It wasn't easy getting up early on embarkation day.

Because of the disrupted timing, W2 didn't get the masts unstepped until Monday 10-29. The high cranes are very much in demand at this time. Instead of a mobile crane arriving at 08:00 AM, it showed up at the pier at noon. The last mast was removed and laid on W2's deck at 05:00 PM. Good news, bad news. Good for W2, bad news for Oswego Maritime Foundation. (OMF)

When the crane had finished the last pick on W2, this same crane would travel down the canal to the OMF facilities and set some steel for us. We are in the process of building our own gin pole to step and pull the masts on our schooner Ontario.The structure is composed of 10" square tubular steel, 35' high mast and 40' foot long boom. Our work crew showed up at 01:00 PM, as planned. We didn't start work until after 05:00 in the evening. We worked in semi darkness. We weren't going to let that crane get out of sight until the job was complete. End result, the gin pole is assembled and we will pick our masts on Saturday.

Ed H, W2 is tied up tonight somewhere east of Oneida Lake. It should be gliding past Rome, NY some time Wednesday AM. I'm not sure when. Give a shout hello as it ties up in the lock.

The canal trip across NYS will take about three days. The weather guy said the weather will be perfect. The fall foliage is at it's peak.
For those that aren't aware, the canal wends it's way east/west through the foothills of the Adirondack Mountains to the north and the rolling hills of the northern edge of the Catskill Mountains to the south. Truly God's country.

When W2 arrives at the eastern terminus of the Erie Canal, it will probably restep its masts and rerig at Castleton-On-Hudson and sail down the Hudson to Nyack, where it will most likely be subject to a thorough sea trial before official transfer. After that, it is scheduled (there's that word again) to sail to Trinidad for refurbishing and alterations. Eventually, it will travel to St Martins, which will be it's new home port.

Thanks for bearing with me.
O J
CASteve

Post by CASteve »

Hi John and the rest,

Thanks for the progress reports on the Windy II. :)

There are a bunch of Flotillamembers lurking this thread as we watch the Windy II head toward it's new home. I thought I'd register with this board in order to fill in a few of the missing bits.

A start-up company (Caribbean Tall Ship Adventures) is purchasing the Windy II with the intention of cruising out of St. Maartin in the winter/spring and the Grenadines in the summer/fall. After the sea trials/purchase close, it's headed to Trinidad for a refit to make it more suitable for weeklong cruising in the little latitudes (air conditioning, private heads,...). It'll probably get to Trinidad in early December. Current plan is to pick up crew and a few working passengers in NY and then more in West Palm, FL. before heading to St. Maartin. At that point, passengers leave and the crew starts prepping the ship for it's dry/wet dock in Trinidad.

While it's sad for the folks that have sailed her on the Great Lakes to see her go, I cannot express the excitement we feel to see her coming to the Caribbean.

Thanks again for the updates, John!
CASteve

Post by CASteve »

Looks like the Windy II is headed to Charleston, SC instead of West Palm before it heads to the Caribbean. Tentatively in Charleston from Nov 13-16.