Snowbirds are in full migration!

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Andy Denmark

Snowbirds are in full migration!

Post by Andy Denmark »

It happens every year but this year the snowbirds are especially plentiful. Bill Watson (CD-28 Kittiwake) and I went to the Tiki Bar at Oriental's main harbor yesterday afternoon and noted that the anchorage was full as were the transient slips. No Cape Dories that we could see but there has been abundant traffic on the ICW, almost all headed south. Talked with several of the local boaters who are preparing to head out, and even one couple with a CD-28 powerboat who were anticipating leaving in January (wow, they've gotta' be the last of the intrepid southbound stragglers).

Conversation this a.m. via ham radio with a friend who is currently at Coinjock and headed to Oriental enroute to Puerto Rico. He will stop a few days, taking the slip at my pier that Bill will vacate on Sunday. He makes this trip every year and says the snowbirds are more abundant this year than he's ever seen them and attributes it to the false alarm that this was to be the worst hurricane season ever (not so -- same computer models that predict global warming) and the leading edge of the baby boomers' retirements (never would have thought of that). I'm awaiting his arrival for more interesting and enlightening discussions in this vein -- some original ideas here.

If any of the Cape Dory crowd is headed south this fall then the Oriental area is a good stop. Decent anchorages, good marinas, nice shoreside amenities within (mostly) easy walking distance, WiFI most places (including my pier), sailmakers, and friendly and knowledgable service/repair facilities. In all, Oriental is the first really good place since the Chesapeake to service, replenish and restock for the trip south down the ICW or offshore via Beaufort Inlet. Also, good restaurants, bars, and lots of camaraderie with other southbound travellers where you actually get to know some of the people whose boats you see along the ICW route.

As the locals are fond of saying, "Come on over and sit a spell."
________
SILVER SURFER VAPORIZER
Last edited by Andy Denmark on Feb 13th, '11, 03:31, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Haley

Snowbirds head south

Post by Ed Haley »

One of the reasons the number of southerly-headed boats is larger at this time is that the New York State Canal Corporation last week announced that the Erie Canal would be closing 2 weeks earlier this year due to abnormally low water supplies that feed the canal. The normal closing date is mid-November but this year it will close Nov 1st.

When it was announced, snowbirds in the Great Lakes had 3 weeks instead of 5 to make it to the Hudson River. They had to hurry and change reservations along the way, join a contingent of sail and power boats at Oswego waiting to unstep masts or remove tops of power boats, and join a slow-moving group of boats from lock to lock. It sometimes takes a week to go through the system.

Of course, there's always the outside route around the Gulf of St. Lawrence :wink:, turn right and head down the Atlantic Coast.

So all at once there is a large number of boats headed down the ICW - more than normal at one time.
Lee Kaufman

Snowbird crew

Post by Lee Kaufman »

I have a CD25 at Little River Inlet. Anyone going down the ICW that would be in need of crew, I would consider traveling the section from Wilmington/Southport to Georgetown just for fun.
Andy Denmark

NY canals & CD-25 #12

Post by Andy Denmark »

Ed,

I hadn't heard about the NY canal system but I have noticed a lot of boats with hailing ports north of there. Interesting. Another thing I've been told is that there are boats ready to proceed south but because their insurance won't cover them south of Norfolk until Dec 1 (because of the end of hurricane season on Nov. 30), they are waiting for that date to leave.

Lee,

I believe I sold CD-25 #12 as a new boat when I was a Cape Dory dealer. I remember because I realized one day that I had sold Hull #12 for a 25, a 28, a 30/K and a 27. Actually, I think I not only sold your boat new but also a couple of times on brokerage. Could be I'm a bit confused about this. I distinctly remember a CD-25 named Dawn Star and wonder if yours might be that same boat because of the name similarity?

Anyway, I'll keep your crew offer in mind. I may head south in December and Little River Inlet/Calabash Creek is a favorite anchorage of mine. Actually, I just posted a report about that anchorage on Claiborne Young's Salty Southeast Cruisers' Net. Check this out:

http://www.cruisersnet.net/index.php?categoryid=45

Mine is the the second posting in the South Carolina section

I usually make the Georgetown trip in 2 days -- it's about 60 miles and too long for one day this time of year w/o traveling in the dark. Try to stop in either Thoroughfare Creek or behind Butler Island if the weather is calm. Either is a short hop to G'town. Incidentally, the Georgetown Wooden Boat Show is Saturday, October 20, and I will be attending. If you're there maybe we can grab a bite or hoist one for the cause.
________
Lincoln custom
Last edited by Andy Denmark on Feb 13th, '11, 03:32, edited 1 time in total.
David Perry

Hull #12

Post by David Perry »

Andy,

Sorry, your first 25 was # 69 (shipped 7/26/73) but you are right about #12 of the 27 and 28. Although it doesn't include #12, you hold the record for the most 30 ketches sold!
My old 25 is down your way last I heard. It was a yawl and was #35 -- last of the varnished mahogany interiors.

Dave Perry
Russell

Re: Hull #12

Post by Russell »

David Perry wrote:Andy,

Sorry, your first 25 was # 69 (shipped 7/26/73) but you are right about #12 of the 27 and 28. Although it doesn't include #12, you hold the record for the most 30 ketches sold!
My old 25 is down your way last I heard. It was a yawl and was #35 -- last of the varnished mahogany interiors.

Dave Perry
THere was a 25 built as a yawl? I would love to see photos of that!
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Andy Denmark

David, thank you for correcting the record

Post by Andy Denmark »

David,

Either you have a better memory than mine or some records at your disposal -- probably the latter. I just remember Patty (secretary) stating one day that we seemed to be having a run on hull # 12's and I thought she ran down a list of them. Me old memory is not what it once was.

I remember you telling me about your "yawl" rigged 25 (or was it a 27?) where you used a Typhoon mast & cut down boom to make the mizzen spars. You even sent me a picture of it, I believe. I also remember the brand new but 20 year old Wilcox-Crittenden alcohol stove that you took off my hands for your boat. That thing must be a collector's item today. Do you still have it? On thinking about it the stove may have been another make -- they say memory is the second thing you lose (I can't remember the first!)

I still run into some of my Cape Dory customers now and then and they always remember their Cape Dorys as having a special place in their lives. I felt so fortunate to have played a part in such nice recollections and I'm sure you, Harry and Andy must have had the same feelings.

Thanks for setting the record straight.
________
Ios games
chase

heading south

Post by chase »

Andy,

I'm planning to point my A. Denmark commisioned vessel (CD30 #169) southward come Nov. 5. Have crew (if he can leave his trackhoes and tandem dumptrucks idle) and will make for St. Simons sound. I've got a private dock lined up rental cars, etc. and will move to Golden Isles Marina when they free up snowbird space. Keeping NW Creek slip for now so I can bail out if the weather aint right. I've got 2 weeks to make the 400 nm.

Will likely try to make for Cape Lookout the first night(from NW Creek) and then we can leave day or night from there and sail for Masonboro or around Frying Pan shoals in the best of forecasts. If not, Snows Cut and offshore for whatever time we can and slink south on the wateway for the rest. We'll see. If the weather is right I'd really like to try a multi-day offshore passage and get down to GA and Cumberland Island, etc. I can hit my hotspots (Waccamaw, Cape Romain) on the way back north in Feb.

Do you think Bald Head MArina is a good place to stage for a dark exit out CApe Fear? Seems like lots of water and big bouys without to much to worry about save for shipping and current. The moon will be dark then. Does the river lay down pretty well at slack tide in moderate winds or does the current always make for the monster standing waves we pounded through last time? I'd like to plan my exit a little better this go round.

Leaving Cape Fear early morning allows me to make Charleston in daylight going avg 4 kts, if we're tired of being at sea (leaving at 0430 slack high). Otherwise we'll head on and be on target for daylight entrance to St Simons.

I'm not sure about the Frying Pan business but would love to go "around the pan" if winds 10-15kts. It seems really far out there -- like 30-35 miles. I hear of others doing it but maybe more northwards. The Gulf Stream is right there, does it affect the current right at that #16 buoy? Next dumb question, can you cut that farthest #16 sea buoy?

The southerly inlets are new to me but seem relatively big and friendly, save for big ships. I've not been south of N. Edisto.

Anyway, good to chat cap'n Andy.

Chase
Andy Denmark

Frying Pan Shoals in November?

Post by Andy Denmark »

Hey, Chase,

I try to avoid Frying Pan headed south even in summer. The Gulf Stream runs hard out there, it's way off the rhumb line (remember the coastline is more east/west here than north/south) and it can get ugly in a hurry.

The local weather at Frying Pan is unpredictable, even when you think you're operating in a large scale, stable forecast. I think it's the mixing of warm and cold water, the southerly eddy in Onslow Bay hitting the northbound Gulf Stream (that's what made the shoals in the first place), and all that results in weird currents and waves.

My normal route is to come in at Masonboro Inlet (arrive during daylight) and hole up for the outgoing tide at Cape Fear River. Tide time in the Cape Fear River dictates where you anchor and you have good choices -- Banks Channel in Wrightsville, Carolina Beach, or Southport. While Bald Head is a good marina and certainly the closest to Cape Fear River Inlet, it's expensive and always a long walk to the heads from the transient slips. For a nice anchorage try the Pipeline at ICW M/M 311, just two miles south on the ICW. It's quiet, protected, plenty deep enough, and free whereas Bald Head Island Marina will extract half a boat unit to spend the night there. Don't even think about Dutchman's Creek as the shoal at the entrance can trap you inside except at high tide.

Also, plan for daylight arrivals at both Winyah Bay or Charleston because of the rock jetties, even if this means standing off awhile or heaving to. These inlets have stone jetties that need your attention. Winyah Bay is especially dangerous as the rocks are under the surface for a good portion of the inlet plus it has two ranges. The second range can be missed if you're not attentive.

Of course, there's the option of heading on south is if weather permits. If the weather pattern is stable and favorable then you can sail all the way to Brunswick River Inlet with no problems. You have two good bailout inlets south of Charleston ( Port Royal Sound and Tybee Roads/Savannah River) so go for it if things are going well and the forecast is favorable.

The other inlets along the SC and GA coasts are quite shoal and local knowledge is necessary. This time of year there aren't enough fishermen out to talk you through these so best to not count on them.

Sounds like you have a great plan and I wish you luck with the trip.

P.S. Asking a retired employee about the hull #12 thing, he remembers the other two boats as a Pearson 323 and a Tartan 33. The time frame would be about right. And I still love those CD-30/K's - perfect boat for around here.
________
Mexico Hotels
Russell

Re: heading south

Post by Russell »

farmerchase wrote:Andy,
Do you think Bald Head MArina is a good place to stage for a dark exit out CApe Fear? Seems like lots of water and big bouys without to much to worry about save for shipping and current. The moon will be dark then. Does the river lay down pretty well at slack tide in moderate winds or does the current always make for the monster standing waves we pounded through last time? I'd like to plan my exit a little better this go round.
I dont know about Bald Head Marina, but there used to be free docks in Southport which I used before making my departure for Charleston, they are very conviently located for a morning hope outside, but in a sad state of disrepair two years ago with zero facilities and I wouldnt be suprised if they didnt exist anymore. I beleive they belonged to one of the restraunts there. Right after the free docks is a large marina as well where I fueled up and it seemed to have nice facilities which would be well suited if the free docks are gone.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

ICW-Charleston

Post by trapper »

I have a CD22 (Hull #12) she is at the old Stono Marina (now St. John's Yacht Harbor), any way I am down on weekends and sometimes during the week. If you plan to come to Charleston and you want to anchor out in the Stono or dock at St Johns let me know---can get you to town and back if needed. (Will not be available 11/08-11/16)
chase

great advice

Post by chase »

Thanks all for commenting. Trapper, I'll keep your info handy - your offer is much appreciated. I stayed at Buzzards Roost Marina a couple of winters ago while emulating a snowbird program. I've also seen ads for the new docks, bet they're nice. Glad I got one winter in Charleston while I could afford it. I won't take the Wappoo cut unless absolutely necessary, it's not that big of deal but nevertheless I remain fearful of it from prior transits.

Andy, your advice is appreciated and noted as always. I will stick with my original more sensible plan of going in at Masonboro and heading down to snows cut. The falling tide sends me zooming 7-8 kts or more downstream anyway and it IS more or less on the rhumb line.

The Bald Head marina idea is definitely out of character, but seemed like a dumbed-down approach to nighttime departure. I can think of lots of things to spend 50 bucks on while swinging on the hook and eating the best food money can buy that costs me nothing.

I can't remember any of the anchorages just south of Southport and must not have considered Dutchman's Creek worthy of anchoring while passing by. Don't remember pipeline. In nice conditions with chartplotter and crew with spotlight I bet I could make the two miles to the River and out in the dark... I'll check out the chart.

Hey Andy, are they running the all-you-can eat shrimp program still? What night? I think you'll be in G.town when I come east on the 21st or so but if not I'd love to take you(and me) out for shrimp and dark and stormies or tall and frothy's or whatever the heck two thirsty sailors can get their paws on.

Chase
Andy Denmark

Good ICW anchorages south of Southport

Post by Andy Denmark »

Chase,

There really aren't any more decent anchorages south of Southport until you get to Little River/Calabash Creek (you remember that place, don't you?)

Also, I'd plan for departure on the falling tide. Sure, that's when the big ships are leaving but the channel is deep enough along the sides that you have lots of bailout room in 12-14 ft that no ship will ever go into. The CF pilots are especially considerate of pleasure vessels because so many of them use the inlet and it is narrow for a stretch. High PAF for them.

The 6 hour rule for tides is good for roughing arrival & departure times. Just figure your SMG -- probably 5 to 6 kts depending on loading, current, conditions -- and divide into 6 hour increments. Apply to your course and destination and you can see what the tide state is when you arrive. Also plot daylight hours against this same timeline and plan your trip so you arrive when there is light.

It might be that continuing past Southport and out the inlet nonstop would work, too, especially if your anchorage past Masonboro was Banks Channel or Carolina Beach. As long as you have the outgoing tide down the Cape Fear it seems to me that you will have it right for going out the inlet. Why not press on?

Just some more ideas.
________
No2 vaporizer reviews
David Perry

Post by David Perry »

Andy and Russell,

The yawls were both the 25 and the 27, and both had "cut down" typhoon spars and rigging. The "25's" sail was an altered Typhoon sail where the "27" had a new sail made by none other than Oriental's Wally Chapin, when on Cape Cod. I showed pictures of them at the national meeting last year.

And yes, I still have the Wilcox Critenden alcohol stove, used on both boats! So I've had it over 30 years.

Good memories of good boats and great people selling them, Andy. Will always appreciate your generous hospitality when ever I visited!

Dave
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Wapoo Cut

Post by trapper »

Chase,

I can understand your concern about Wapoo cut during Snow Bird seaon. We have been on the boat (Colvic Victor 40) for the last week. Charleston weather has been fantastic! I can see the entrance of Wapoo cut at Stono River from the boat. Every morning this week from 6:30 am to 7 am I have my coffee in the cockpit and watch the boats.

Not many sailboats yet. I have seen a couple of 30-35 footers but the power yachts--WOW-- 3 75' + yesterday at the same time as an exteremely tall tug with a small barge.

My little "QT" (CD22)(docked next to the 40) would not like to share the cut with those guys--they go fast too! Charleston is very busy right now. The BIG boats are everywhere.