Sailing Door County Wisconsin

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Riptide
Riptide

Sailing Door County Wisconsin

Post by Riptide »

Has anyone sailed Door County? I've driven the area but am thinking about taking my Ty there for a long weekend. Is this water too big for a Ty?
tartansailor

I Was Thinking The Same Thing

Post by tartansailor »

The Mrs. & I are planing a trip in 2 weeks to Ashland, and was wondering the same thing.

Dick
Riptide
Riptide

Ashland

Post by Riptide »

Hello

Are you heading to Ashland up by Bayfield? I sail with a friend up there on his CD 30c. He keeps his boat up at Schooner Bay Marina. It's a great sail in the Apostle Islands. Door County is another great spot to sight-see. The colors should still be pretty nice. Have fun.

Mike
aka Riptide
'77 Ty
Bob L

Post by Bob L »

I used to charter in Door County years ago, plus many the Hook races from Racine to Sturgeon Bay around Death's Door. Green Bay is 'gentler' than Lake Michigan, although waves can get large with the right wind conditions. Sister Bay to Washington Island, then up to Rock Island is a very nice cruise. Horseshoe Island is also a nice anchorage in a small bight facing the mainland.

A friend of mine used to sail his Catalina 22 out of Sister Bay, so I would think a Ty would be just fine. Just check the weather...you wouldn't want to be caught out in a white squall....
David van den Burgh

Door County

Post by David van den Burgh »

During our trip last summer we sailed through Sturgeon Bay then north along Door County, stopping over in Egg Harbor and Fish Creek before heading through Portes des Mortes passage and back into Lake Michigan. Based upon my (brief) experience in that area, I offer the following:

1) Fish Creek was the only place that made our trip worthwhile. Egg Harbor is hardly worth mentioning; the docks are in shabby condition and there is no decent anchorage. Fish Creek - Alibi Marina - is well protected and offers decent facilities. I know little about Sister Bay or Ephraim.

2) Door County offers very little refuge from the strong N and NW winds that typify fall weather on/around Lake Michigan. Many of the coves and marinas are exposed to the N/NW.

3) If you make the trip in typical fall weather, plan on working your way south rather than north, into the wind.

And this last one comes from experience on Lake Michigan this time of year.

4) Expect wind. You might follow the weather beforehand to get a feel for the conditions - and don’t trust a NOAA forecast beyond 24 hrs – some might argue less. Here are NOAA links to the Sister Bay weather station and the Green Bay forecast. As of this posting, the wind is NNW, blowing 28 kts, and gusting to 33 kts at Sister Bay.

Sister Bay Weather Station

Green Bay Forecast

That said, I’m sure the Typhoon is up to the area, provided you’re prepared. Fall sailing in this area can be an exhilarating ride.
tartansailor

Wind? Who Said Wind!

Post by tartansailor »

Hazardous weather condition(s):

Hazardous Weather Outlook
Small Craft Advisory

Tonight: North wind between 20 and 25 knots, with gusts as high as 35 knots. A chance of showers. Waves 3 to 5 feet.

Wednesday: North wind around 20 knots, with gusts as high as 30 knots. A chance of showers, mainly before noon. Waves 3 to 5 feet.

Wednesday Night: North wind around 20 knots, with gusts as high as 30 knots. A slight chance of showers before 8pm. Waves 3 to 5 feet.

Thursday: Northeast wind between 15 and 20 knots, with gusts as high as 30 knots. Partly sunny. Waves 2 to 4 feet.

Thursday Night: Northeast wind between 10 and 15 knots, with gusts as high as 20 knots. Partly cloudy. Waves 2 to 4 feet.

Friday: East wind between 5 and 10 knots. Mostly sunny. Waves 1 to 3 feet.

Friday Night: East wind around 5 knots. Partly cloudy. Waves 2 feet or less.

Saturday: Southeast wind around 5 knots. Mostly sunny. Waves 2 feet or less.

Saturday Night: Southeast wind around 5 knots. Partly cloudy. Waves 2 feet or less.

Sky Harbor Airport
Lat: 46.72 Lon: -92.04 Elev: 610
Last Update on Oct 9, 4:54 pm CDT

Overcast and Breezy

45°F
(7°C) Humidity: 76 %
Wind Speed: W 22 G 30 MPH
Barometer: 29.94"
Dewpoint: 37°F (3°C)
Wind Chill: 37°F (3°C)
Visibility: 10.00 mi.
More Local Wx: 3 Day History:

Great Lakes Water Temperature (Graphic)

Click Map for Forecast

Lat/Lon: 46.75 -91.75 Elevation: 600 ft

Zone Area Forecast for Duluth MN to Port Wing WI, LS
Forecast Discussion
Printable Forecast Text Only Forecast
Hourly Weather Graph Tabular Forecast
Text Forecast (°C) About Point Forecasts
Hazardous Outlook Home
Local Forecast Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

National Weather Service:
Duluth, MN www.weather.gov
Privacy Policy
Disclaimer
S/V Necessity
Columbia, MO

Ashland Wis.

Post by S/V Necessity »

Been to the apostle islands area before in a catalina 22, and we were not the only small boat out there. However this time of the year is reputed to be more dicey. But several locals I've spoke with say the reputation is slightly over inflated, and that the fall storms do give you some warning *if* are concerned about them... I'd say go for it, but check with a few locals before actually shoving off, and just be concerned.

We were up a couple of weeks ago sailing a friends triton 28 (on big bay, out of ashland) and we just checked with the harbour master before we went out. It was over cast, cold and rainy, but your boat would have handled it fine....
Joe Ruelle
Tern About
Lake Superior

Dress Warm If You Go

Post by Joe Ruelle »

I covered up my CD25 for the season yesterday in Ashland. Saw one sailboat sailing the bay -- looked cold as I watched from shore with my wool sweater under a light winter coat and stocking cap. Most sailboats were hauled out last week and this weekend. Its not high winds, seas or storms that are keeping us off the water, but cold. Hypothermia is a reality this time of the year, so be prepared if you do some early or late autumn sailing in Door County or in the Apostle Islands. Sailing these waters is better done in September than Octo"burr". But, it is a great time of the year to look at sailboat bottoms/designs on the hard and enjoy the colors of autumn.

till later, Joe

PS. Ashland on Chequamegon Bay and the Apostle Islands offer better sailing and safe harbor/anchorage options than Door County and that is why I sail there.