Typhoon foredeck cleat

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Pete S

Typhoon foredeck cleat

Post by Pete S »

Has anyone re bedded their fore deck cleat? I'm curious as to what I will be looking at when I cut away the fiberglass from inside the cabin.
For now I'm going to add another cleat. If anyone has done this I'd appreciate advise on the location. I can add 2 more to match forward or just one forward of the current cleat.
Tim Mertinooke

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

I added a second cleat on the bow of my former Ty. I removed the original and filled the holes with epoxy. Then I placed the two new cleats where I wanted them and marked where the new holes would go. I overdrilled the holes, scraped out as much balsa core as I could and filled those holes with epoxy. I then redrilled the smaller holes for the bolts that would fasten the cleats. I used 3M4200 to bond the cleat to the deck. It worked out well and was very nice to have two cleats on the bow, one for each mooring pennant. You also decrease the overall load the mooring exerts on the cleat by adding the second one. Just remember that when you bond the cleat to the deck, you shouldn't fasten them tight right away as the caulking of your choice will all squeeze out. Let the caulking cure then tighten it down. This will give you a nice seal.
CD26 #52
"Odyssey"