Whisker pole length

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Peter Kozup
Hull #42 Sandusky Ohio

Whisker pole length

Post by Peter Kozup »

I'm considering buying a whisker pole to use when running with the wind on my CD26 Katy Too. I'm a bit confused as to the exact length of pole that I'll need. Is it the 'J' dimension, the distance from the base of the mast to the bottom of the forestay, or is it the length of the foot of the genoa? Or, is it something else? For my CD26 what length would I need?
Also, have any of you made your own whisker pole? Any plans for doing this? I'm asking because I'm amazed at the cost of the things.
Finally, what is the difference between a whisker pole for use with a genoa and a spinnaker pole for use with a spinnaker. Could one use the same pole for both applications?
Thanks for your help.
Anthony P. Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS

Whisker pole length

Post by Anthony P. Jeske »

Hi:
Whisker pole lengths are adjustable so that you can properly pole out a 100% genoa, a 130 or a 150. So your shortest pole length should be not less than your "J" dimension. Currently I have a twist lock pole, i.e. twist to unlock, pull out to desired length and then twist to lock. The problem is that once locked, the ends are rarely both facing up as they should be.
On my last CD-28, I only had a spinnaker pole, which I used both for the spinnaker and as a whisker pole. I was pleased with that setup.
I made that pole. I got a deal on a pair of ends and bought the aluminum tube locally. Pole ends are offered for sale from time to time on eBay. Be careful of having a long pole shipped any distance, that freight charge is exorbitant.
Good Luck,
Tony Jeske
CD-28 #365
MO REGRETS
San Diego