25D Mast Hinge Installation Questions

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

barfwinkle

25D Mast Hinge Installation Questions

Post by barfwinkle »

Good Morning

I have two questions concerning installation of a mast hinge on Rhapsody.

1st. Do I use the existing hole pattern even though the pre-drilled holes in the hinge are spread out farther? I would hate to have to drill four new holes in the cabin top. I want to use the four bolts holes that already exist around the compression post.

2nd. Does it matter which direction way (fore or aft) the mast "levers"? I want it to go forward to rest of a crutch and roller on the ladder (the front of the trailer). Comments?

Thanks in advance and Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
Jeff G

Mast Hinge for 25D

Post by Jeff G »

I'm not sure if you have the same mast hinge as I have. I purchased my hinge from Rig Rite. I used the holes that came pre-drilled because I didn't have a bit that was up to the challenge of drilling through that piece of steel. One thing to note, I did NOT through bolt the base plate. I used stainless lag screws. If you ever lose the rig, a screw will strip out of the cabin top. If you through bolt you'll lose the cabin top too. As far as forward or aft goes, I'm partial to forward because I can use the boom as a gin pole and my main sheet as the purchase. Don't forget to screw the mast to the step.
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

I've never seen one go forward. Since the mast is ahead of center there's more distance aft. Also, IF you have a roller furler it's much easier to have it on top rather than below the mast as it is lowered. Where did you get your hinged tabernacle?

On the holes... You have two choices, correct. You'll end up with two sets of holes in either the cabin top or the hinge plate. we all know the problem with holes in the cabin. I'd take the plate to a machine shop and have them drill four new holes. Yes, you could probably drill the SS yourself, BUT the bits required are pretty expensive and you'll most likely be drilling both a pilot hole and then the final hole. A machine shop can do it in a flash.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
rtbates

Re: Mast Hinge for 25D

Post by rtbates »

Jeff G wrote:I'm not sure if you have the same mast hinge as I have. I purchased my hinge from Rig Rite. I used the holes that came pre-drilled because I didn't have a bit that was up to the challenge of drilling through that piece of steel. One thing to note, I did NOT through bolt the base plate. I used stainless lag screws. If you ever lose the rig, a screw will strip out of the cabin top. If you through bolt you'll lose the cabin top too. As far as forward or aft goes, I'm partial to forward because I can use the boom as a gin pole and my main sheet as the purchase. Don't forget to screw the mast to the step.
Jeff:

So the rig rite hinge tabernacle is bi-directional? It can be used to hinge the mast either direction?? I like your idea of using the boom as a gin pole.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Randy, I got the hinge from Dwyer Mast and technically, I guess if it is set up correctly, it will hinge either way. Your comment about the location of the mast is correct, but the "crutch" I intend to have welded, will provide a support that is two to four feet above the level of the bow pullpit and it will have a roller so I can move the mast fore and aft as need. Your comment about drilling new holes is correct and I have a machine shop two blocks from the house. Randy I just saw your new post, the dwyer hinge is also Bi :oops:

Jeff, I had never considered the possibility of the rig being carried away and your point is well taken. But I am not too sure that I want to use lag bolts either. I have also considered using the boom as the gin pole, but was/am a bit skiddish about the boom being farther up the mast than at the base. I had never thought of screwing the mast to the step. I just figured that downward tension, as I interpret the Good Old Boat article, would keep the mast seated. Why cant boats just be simple!!!!!
Bill Member #250.
tartansailor

The Hinge, and wiring the mast.

Post by tartansailor »

I bought a hinge from Rig-Rite, and found that there is a large
spacer in the center on the base plate half of the hinge.
This effectively negates the possibility of drilling a hole for wires to pass through. Am still trying to figure out how to get around that nut so I do not have to run the wires outside then through the deck.
Dick
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Hey Dick

Yes that is a concern as well. I have re-done the mast wiring (see <a href="http://www.rhapsodysails.com/mastwire.html">Mast Wire</a>). I am not too sure that the hinge will fit. We'll see.

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
barfwinkle

Another Question

Post by barfwinkle »

Jeff G

How did you secure the mast step to the compression post? OR did you?

Bill
Bill Member #250.
Jeff G

The Rig Rite mast hinge is bidirectional

Post by Jeff G »

Yes, you can configure it for either direction. I do not have a roller furler on my 25D so I can rig the mast to raise from the cockpit. Here's a link

http://www.rigrite.com/Spars/Kenyon_Spa ... _assm.html

Notice there are two hinge pins. I also have installed the organizer plate to run the lines aft. I singlehand 90 percent of the time.
Jeff G

Re: Another Question

Post by Jeff G »

barfwinkle wrote:Jeff G

How did you secure the mast step to the compression post? OR did you?

Bill

When I first installed the hinge I forgot to account for two things.

1.) The hinge would raise the mast about 2 inches higher so all the rigging had to extended 2 more inches. That was an expensive miscalulation

2.) The mast fit snug around the mast step (black aluminum piece) so I figured it did not need to be secured. Wrong, it sliped off the step during the raise so I had to place a screw on each side of the mast to secure it to the step.

I never touched the compression post though.
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Jeff I am not following something here, or perhaps I am not being clear.

On Rhapsody the mast step is bolted to a ring/plate that surrounds the compression post. If I remove the mast shoe, then I have to remove 4 bolts that are inside the shoe and that pass through the coachtop to a ring around the compression post.

Also, as you mentioned the wire (rig) will be too short, but by 2"??? Did you somehow mount the hinge on top of the 4 bolts that pass through the coachtop?

Sorry for all the confusion, just trying to avoid costly mistakes/miscalculations.

Thanks
Bill Member #250.
Jeff G

No Ring Plate on My CD 25D

Post by Jeff G »

On Rhapsody the mast step is bolted to a ring/plate that surrounds the compression post. If I remove the mast shoe, then I have to remove 4 bolts that are inside the shoe and that pass through the coachtop to a ring around the compression post.

Also, as you mentioned the wire (rig) will be too short, but by 2"??? Did you somehow mount the hinge on top of the 4 bolts that pass through the coachtop?

My mast step (black aluminum oval shaped thing) was screwed into the fiberglass deck with calking. The ring around my compression post is also screwed into the coach roof from the bottom. The two never connected. Since the layup was solid fiberglass I just filled the old holes with epoxy and drilled new holes to accommodate the base plate on the hinged step. I just lag screwed them into the deck. The hinge itself is about an inch and one half. I added an extra half inch for good measure. Your installation might be different than mine.
barfwinkle

It is different

Post by barfwinkle »

Mine mast shoe is through bolted to the compression post trim ring.

Anyway, thank you for sharing you installation.

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
George Shaunfield
and Westsail 28
Dickinson Bayou, Galveston Bay, TX

Hinged Mast Step

Post by George Shaunfield »

Bill,

Many Westsail 32's and 28's have hinged mast steps. The mast pivots forward using the boom for leverage and a 120 ft rather than the normal 90 ft mainsheet to control it. There is a published procedure for raising and lowering the mast. If you are interested in seeing it, I can get you a copy. Perhaps you would find some beneficial information.

George
barfwinkle

Next Phase

Post by barfwinkle »

Okay folks I have the hinge ready to install. I dry fit it today.

George, yes if you can get me the information from the west sail site I would appreciate it greatly.

JeffG: We must have a different installation. My mast step has 4 3" x 1/4 bolts that are through bolted to a ring on the interior at the very top of the compression post. Then there are two 10x1 1/4 inch screws that screw directly into the top of the compression post which projects completely through the coach top!

My hinge is less than an inch over all. I have purchased toggles just in case and will most likely be purchasing new rigging in the near future, so it should not be a problem.

What did anyone use to isolate the aluminum mast shoe from the SS hinge?????

I sure hope this crap works?

Fair winds
Bill Member #250.