There's a CD25D for sale on 'Buy/Sell page'

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Brandon
Fort Lauderdale, Fl

There's a CD25D for sale on 'Buy/Sell page'

Post by Brandon »

I've listed my CD25D for sale on the 'Buy/Sell page'

Boat is located in the Fort Lauderdale area.
The road goes ever on and on,
And I must follow it if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it meets some place
Where many paths and errands meet,
And whither then I cannot say.

B. Baggins
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

As many of you know, I have been looking for a CD for many, many months. I talked with Brandon many months ago when he bought this 1985 CD 25D (Hull No. 181). I was intrigued because he bought her in Fort Lauderdale which is just 50 miles north of Miami. I had not seen her advertised. If I recall correctly Brandon told me at that time that he happened to see her for sale in a local boats for sale magazine.

I spoke with Brandon earlier today and we have arranged to meet in late October or early November when he returns to South Florida. Brandon seems like a really nice guy and VERY knowledgeable about boats, etc. He was very informative and forth coming with information about this CD 25D.

I am interested in possibly making an offer on this CD 25D. I am seeking the advice and counsel of this board on three troublesome issues. You may post directly or, if you feel more comfortable, please send me a PM or email.

There is one strong positive factor for me to this particular CD 25D. She is located in Fort Lauderdale, Florida and, but for the “no working engine” issue would be relatively easy to transport to Miami - except for the logistical issue discussed below.

There are three (3) strong negative factors for which I need the advice and counsel of this board.

First, the “no working engine” issue. I have read all of Brandon’s posts on this issue and the suggestions and comments of board members. I am not a mechanic and do not pretend to be one. I used to work on my old cars many years ago - minor tune ups, points, plugs, distributor caps, etc., but that was a long, long time ago. I am NOT qualified to even think about repair work on this Yanmar. Routine maintenance, etc. - yes; major repair work - no.

This Yanmar diesel and transmission are currently out of this CD 25D and in another location. I am concerned about the cost to get the diesel to function properly, if this can be done at all. If I recall correctly, this is the original Yanmar so it is 22 years old. Some time ago (2005) when I was looking at another CD 25D with a problem diesel I researched the cost to simply replace the diesel. The engine and labor costs for a Yanmar 1GM10 (9 hp) were then quoted at a minimum of $7,000 plus the marina costs on the hard while the work was being done. This cost also did not include a transmission and haul out costs, etc.

What are the thoughts and recommendations of this board on the diesel issue :?: As I understand Brandon’s posts on the issue of this diesel, this engine has not functioned since some time in July or August 2006 - that is 12 or more months ago, although it apparently worked when he took her out for 2-3 test sails in or about May 2006 before he bought her. Would I be well advised to assume I have to replace the engine and transmission and factor this into any offer :?:

The second issue is a survey. Because she is docked on a canal behind a private residence and does not have a working diesel, there is no practical way to get her to a marina to be hauled for a hull survey. Given my lack of experience and “tadpole” status I am very uncomfortable buying a 22-year-old sailboat that has not moved from the dock in 12 months without having a full marine survey, including a hull survey for moisture issues, etc. Am I being reasonable or too cautious :?: Brandon apparently had a marine survey done before he bought her but that survey is now almost 1 ½ years old at least and would not have taken into consideration the fact that she has essentially sat at the dock for the past 12 months.

The third issue is how to transport her to Miami, which is sort of related to issues one and two above. Right now, she is pretty much immobile and tied to a canal dock. I cannot think of any practical way to transport her to Miami without installing a repaired or rebuilt or a new engine. How practical is it to do this while she is docked behind a private residence in Fort Lauderdale :?: I cannot have her “trucked” to Miami because I cannot think of any practical way to get her to a marina to be hauled and put on a truck.

I apologize for this very long post. Any and all suggestions, recommendations, thoughts, etc. would be most welcome. Please feel free to send me a PM if you would prefer not to post publicly on the board. You can also send me an email to:

bond0036[NO SPAM]bellsouth.net. Substitute “@” for “[NO SPAM]”.

Thank you in advance for any and all replies.

Fair winds,
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Worst case

Post by Neil Gordon »

One strategy is to assume the worst case on the motor, which is a total repower. I'd find someone local who is qualified to find and fit a new diesel for you. See what that costs and let your newly found asvisor plot and plan the other elements of both the installation and the relocation of the boat as required. So assume the worst for all the costs and factor them into the offering price.

As for the survey, if the survey from before is good, you could buy the boat contingent on a comparable survey once you can get it hauled. I'd escrow a significant portion of the purchase price.

An alternative is to work with the seller... agree to buy the boat if he gets this or a new engine running and gets the boat to a place where you can have it hauled. If it passes, you buy it.

I think either work it out in the contract where you're protected if things go badly or continue the search.

Good luck either way.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Brandon
Fort Lauderdale, Fl

understandable

Post by Brandon »

but I am selling the boat 'as is'. I've stated all known issues and will not hide anything. I have faith in what I have said. If I take the time to repower myself then that will make me reconsider selling it.
Neil, I appreciate and understand what you have said, but if I find the time to get the boat running.... it's going to be hard not to quit my job and sail south for a while!
The road goes ever on and on,
And I must follow it if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it meets some place
Where many paths and errands meet,
And whither then I cannot say.

B. Baggins
Russell

Post by Russell »

Given the boats price, if no other major issues are found in survey, it sounds like it would be a good deal even if a full repower has to be done. I wouldnt let the engine issue turn you off, I would get on the phone and start getting quotes for mechanics on repowers to get an idea of the investment your looking at.

As for moving the boat for survey, the 25D could easily be moved with the aid of a dinghy tied along side with a 4HP or more outboard(make sure its a calm day though). How far is the closest haul out for survey?

As for moving the boat to Miami... why move it? If I recall, one of your difficulties in buying a boat has been finding a place to berth it, this boat comes with an available berth, why not take advantage of that and take the berth with the boat, that solves one of your problems.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: understandable

Post by Neil Gordon »

Brenno wrote:Neil, I appreciate and understand what you have said, but if I find the time to get the boat running.... it's going to be hard not to quit my job and sail south for a while!
I get what you're saying. I didn't suggest that you get the boat back in shape... just that Sea Hunt, if he can't do it himself, should find someone to do it for him. If he's afraid of the unknown, then build the risk into the offering price. Hopefully you can meet in the middle. If you can't, a more mechanically savvy buyer might see less risk and might come up with a better offer.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Way back in the early 70s I was working on a power yacht that was berthed at Light House Point. We had a 14 foot Boston Whaler with a 40HP outboard. I helped bring a 35 ft sailboat that had lost power from Pompano to Miami. All we did was tie the Whaler along side with plenty of fenders and it powered them all the way down there. I was in the Whaler the whole time and all I had to do was work the throttle. I may have helped them a bit around bridges and docking too but it is too long ago to remember. It didn't seem like any big deal at the time. We just cruised on down then I ran home once they were all secure at the dock. It was kind of fun as I recall. Moving the boat should not be a great concern. Just buy something, Steve.
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Thanks to all for the replies and suggestions so far.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to actually look at this CD 25D until Brenno returns to South Florida in November. The property owners are understandably reluctant to have anyone walking around their yard or the boat unless Brenno is present.

Neil, during the next 5-6 weeks I plan to research the issue of a repower, a good diesel mechanic, the current cost to do the job-labor and materials, etc. I started calling around yesterday afternoon.

Do any South Florida CDers have any mechanics, shops, etc. they would strongly recommend I talk to or steer clear of :?:

Russell, you have an excellent memory :!: If I recall correctly, Brenno is paying $250 - $300 a month for the dock behind a private residence. That's $3,000 - $3,600 per year. The good news is I have located a place in the northern Florida Keys where I may be able to moor a sailboat at almost no cost. It is bay side and all the water in the area is minimum 5-6 fsw MLLW. The only concern is ocean access - which at my tadpole level is a minor concern. The bay area will be a good, safe sailing area to learn about a new-to-me sailboat and practice, practice, practice. A scuba diving buddy recommended it a few weeks ago and asked why I had not mentioned my need months ago. Duh :!: Because I am dumb, that's why :(

I still have a lot of concern about the engine, survey, logistics, etc. but will have time in the next 5-6 weeks before Brenno returns to South Florida to carefully explore the options.

Steve, I am trying my best to buy a CD and very much appreciate and share your frustration at my lack of ownership. I just honestly think the gods are against me for bad things I have done in my past. Lord knows, there is a long list of past transgressions :oops:

I welcome additional comments, suggestions, etc.

Fair winds
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
Clay Stalker

Sounds Good

Post by Clay Stalker »

Robert:

With the asking price what it is, you should be able to make this work. Get another survey (all surveys pick up different things), price out a repower (check both Beta and Yanmar products), and you could end up with a decent boat for a fair price. If all of this seems like too much, just keep looking. There are plenty of CDs around and good ones come on the market all the time.....the only catch is, the best ones go fast, so you have to be ready with your checkbook :D Good luck!!
Clay Stalker
Westmoreland, NH and Spofford Lake, NH
Sea Hunt

Post by Sea Hunt »

South Florida CDers:

Anyone have any experience(s) with or know anything about the following two Yanmar dealers/mechanics :?:

1. Scott Marine Power, Fort Lauderdale

2. Anchor Marine, Miami.

I called both today and got similar "estimated" quotes for repowering. Wow :!: :!: Expensive. Both guys I talked with seemed very knowledgeable.

Fair winds,
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
Boyd

25D in Fort Lauderdale

Post by Boyd »

Hi SeaHunt:

Send me a PM... I live in Fort Lauderdale and may be able to help on some of the logistic issues.

Boyd
s/v Tern
CD30 MkII
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
darmoose
Mystic Rose

hey seahunt

Post by darmoose »

i live in so fla, in lighthouse point in fact. i think i have seen this boat before.

i repowered my cd30k last year with a new volvo d1-20, a bigger engine than you need, but with transmission, shaft, muffler, hoses, filter and misc. the cost was over $17m

so fla aint cheap. the dealer i used was sunpower in dania, he is a yanmar dealer also. i am pleased withthe work they did, but like i said it aint cheap.

good luck

darrell
John Vigor

Engine replacement

Post by John Vigor »

Sea Hunt wrote:What are the thoughts and recommendations of this board on the diesel issue :?: As I understand Brandon’s posts on the issue of this diesel, this engine has not functioned since some time in July or August 2006 - that is 12 or more months ago, although it apparently worked when he took her out for 2-3 test sails in or about May 2006 before he bought her. Would I be well advised to assume I have to replace the engine and transmission and factor this into any offer :?:
Sea Hunt: The surveyor says the boat is worth $17,000. The owner wants $13,500 and will probably take $13,000. That leaves $4,000 for a mechanic to get the head skimmed, reseat the valves, and have a new exhaust manifold built.

This is a tiny, single-cylinder engine that is easy to work on. It's already out of the boat. Even in Florida you should be able to find someone to do that work at that price. And when it's reinstalled and as good a new, you'll have a boat that's worth $20,000.

I don't see any need to replace an engine that has only 350 running hours on it. It will be easy to replace--just drop it in the old slots, et voila! The fact that it hasn't been run for some time means nothing.

John Vigor
Sea Hunt

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello CDers:

I apologize if anyone has sent me an email in the past 2-3 days. My computer became very sick with a virus. Today the Geek Squad had to clean my entire computer, hard drive, everything. I lost all my data from all sources.

If you sent me an email in the pat 2-3 days it was deleted and I never read it. Please resend.
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

CD25 in the northeast

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Sea Hunt,

I know it's a long way from sunny Florida and it's not a CD25D, but I spotted a CD25 listed for sale in the Wind Check classifieds. Here's the verbage of the ad verbatim:
August 2007 issue of Wind Check wrote:25' Cape Dory 1975 - 25 ft. Classic: brand new (unused) Main & Cover; new 6HP Merc outboard, VHF; depth; compass; speed & stern rail all new in '99. Many additions to original boat. Great sailing. Price reduced to $4000. Must sell. Call 917-863-0192
Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay