Dinghy-Tow?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

carsail1260

Dinghy-Tow?

Post by carsail1260 »

I searched & found that there was one person with a CD 33 that had dinghy-tow installed and loved it back in 2006. Has anyone else installed dinghy-tow on there CD? Anyone with a 25D? Where have you cruised with it & what are the weaknesses of the system. It's expensive, but if we end up taking Yolo this winter to the Bahamas and South we were thinking it would be a great way to store the dinghy.
Kurt & Carolyn Thomas
"YOLO" 1983 Cape Dory 25D
Russell

Post by Russell »

I know a couple with an Ontario 32 who have used the dinghy tow system for 5 years now, including on 2 atlantic crossings and they swear by it. I personally wouldnt want to use that setup on an ocean crossing, but outside of that it seems a good setup.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
mike ritenour

no tow

Post by mike ritenour »

IMHO towing anything, in any form, is just a bad puppy waiting to catch you off guard.

If your going trans Atlantic, I'd look into a life raft and stow your dink while crossing, then pop your dink out on the otherside of the pond.

Your still gona have a problem that has plagued sailors since the dawn of time, how to carry a small vessel on a larger vessel.

Gives me an idea for a thread............

sea u,
Rit