CD 30C Headsail - Oversized Yankee?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

wiltsan

CD 30C Headsail - Oversized Yankee?

Post by wiltsan »

The age old question we've heard over and over is "keep it a cutter rig or change to a sloop rig"? I like the cutter rig, but being in the Northeast, I also like a big old genny out sometimes as well. Problem is getting the genny though the staysail gap and when the genny is furled in heavier weather, getting poor performance from the head sail.

I am in the process of replacing may sails and I am wondering if anyone has ever changed the shape of the Yankee to be recut as a 135%-140% but work with the sail maker to cut the sail so it can be furled in and used as a Yankee and through the "cut" preserve the performance of the sail while it is furled in and being used as a "Yankee".

Does this make any sense? Anyone have any experience doing anything similar? What did you do?

Thanks
Ron M.

Headsail

Post by Ron M. »

When I got my boat the original yankee was shot so I ordered a new 135 and had the maker cut it high. it's not as high cut as the yankee but suits my needs well. Tacking the cutter rig takes some getting used to but you will quickly master it. With a furler you can haul it in some so as the bow goes through the wind the sail gets pushed between the stays and you do the rest hauling on the sheet.
I've been looking for a used yankee as a compliment to the suit but don't really need it.
________
HIGHLAND PARK FORD PLANT SPECIFICATIONS
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:40, edited 1 time in total.
Russell

Post by Russell »

Why not just put a quick release on your inner forestay? and leave it detatched most of the time.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Dana Sewall
Portland, OR

Post by Dana Sewall »

I agree with Russel. I run a 135% furler mounted high cut headsail on on my CD30c. I am often single handed and short tacking on the Columbia river and by removing the inner stay, tacking the jenny is very quick and easy. As the wind increases, I reef my main, then partially furl my jenny. Above 23 knots of wind, I completely furl the jenny, snap on the inner stay and set the staysail. It takes me about one minute to attach the inner stay and with a reefed main and staysail set the boat becomes well balanced again. This option also lets me set both headsails together for light breezes in open water. For an example of the quick release lever I use see:
http://www.abimarine.com/SailBoatHardwa ... 0Lever.htm
Dick Spangler

Staysail stay

Post by Dick Spangler »

I have a removable staysail stay on my CD31. Question: When you remove the stay to open up the foredeck, where and how do you attach the staysail stay?
SeaBelle
Sea Belle
Hail port: Rockland, ME

At the shrouds

Post by SeaBelle »

At the shrouds using this part [img]http://www.svsarah.com/Sarah/Inner%20Fo ... 0Plate.jpg[/img]
A released staysail stay usually needs to be rove around something before being tensioned due to its different geometry.

From the Rigging Only 2007 Catalog (http://www.riggingonly.com/07complete.pdf) page 10
Storage Plate (part # 54-500)
Fasten to forward lower shroud or pad eye on boats with single lowers. Allows wire to curve aft near deck
level and than lash to eye attached to rail. Keeps forestay away from spreaders and mast when stored.
Sail on,
Jack
CD28 Sea Belle
Hailport - Rockland, ME

There are old sailors and bold sailors, but there are no old, bold sailors.

Reef early and often. It's easier to shake out a reef when one is bored than it is to tuck one in when one is scared.

When your only tool is a hammer, all your problems look like nails.