25D Traveller

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bruce Ebling

25D Traveller

Post by Bruce Ebling »

Has anyone installed a Harken traveller system on their "D"? Due to low water this year I will have to pull the boat by the end of the month. I thought I would take the opportunity to replace the traveller with a system that actually works. Do I need to order the track with a curve pre-bent or can it be bent into shape on the boat? Any hints on removing the old track??
Thanks for any advice
Bruce Ebling
1982 25D "Selah"
barfwinkle

Good ??s

Post by barfwinkle »

Hi Bruce

I have often wandered about this. I installed a Harken traveler on my Catalina and loved it. On Rhapsody is just hasnt been a priority.

Let us know what you a) find out and b) finally install. Inquiring minds want to know.

FWFS
Bill Member #250.
s-dupuis

Consider Garhauer

Post by s-dupuis »

Garhauer will custom build a traveller to your specifications. The quality is excellent and is less expensive than Harken , off the shelf equipment.
I installed one on my CD 22 and I'm very pleased. originally it had a genoa track and sliding bracket that could not be adjusted under tension. The Garhauer track matches the existing mounting holes. I simply provided a sketch with the dimensions required. I did need to fashion a teak base to accommodate the curve in the deck as opposed to pre-bending the track)

Steve
Bruce Ebling

Traveller

Post by Bruce Ebling »

Actually I have been stalking eBay for quite some time and have purchased the car and the end pieces (man they are expensive!) so I am locked into Harken at this time. I will keep you posted. I will have to pull the boat Sunday, July 22nd. I am sooo bummed!!
Bruce
Anthony P. Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS

Track bend

Post by Anthony P. Jeske »

Hi Bruce:
I installed a Harken traveler on my CD-28. Harken sells track with hole spacing to match existing track. Remember that you may have to trim both ends of the track to keep your hole alignment. There is a slight curve to my traveler base. I didn't have to order pre bent track. I just started fastening in the center and worked my way outward. The track followed the bend without a problem. It reduced the time and the cost of the installation.
I did have to plane off some teak just forward of the track in order to provide clearance for the car to roll freely. Your coaming will not allow car removal if the track is too wide, so be sure to alllow enough clearance at the ends.
I'm very pleased with the traveller. It'll be a great addition to your boat.
Good Luck,
Tony Jeske
CD-28 #365
NO REGRETS
San Diego
SeaBelle
Sea Belle
Hail port: Rockland, ME

More on Garhauer

Post by SeaBelle »

Bruce, I understand you are committed to Harken but for all others I'll second the recommendation of Garhauer. I installed one of their travelers last year and was very pleased - it was beefy and had a low price. It was a bear to install it on the curved aft deck only because of the curvature. After installation I read here that I should have spoken with Guido and had it custom bent. I also regret not ordering it longer. I let the distance between my coamings control; now I wish I had trimmed a few inches of coaming and made the traveler longer. At 48" (as I recall), the fixed space required by the ends and cars ate up a large percentage of its length leaving a smaller throw. I understand from others that it pays to speak with Garhauer, they are very knowledgeable and cooperative and travelers, in particular are made to order. I've also used their blocks, deck organizers, and clutches and have the same opinion: beefy, good fit and finish, inexpensive.
Sail on,
Jack
CD28 Sea Belle
Hailport - Rockland, ME

There are old sailors and bold sailors, but there are no old, bold sailors.

Reef early and often. It's easier to shake out a reef when one is bored than it is to tuck one in when one is scared.

When your only tool is a hammer, all your problems look like nails.
Jeff G

Post by Jeff G »

I installed a Harken traveler system on my 25D. I used the Harken small boat traveler kit. All the pieces required were in the kit. The track that comes with the kit is longer than you'll need. Since the holes in the Harken track line up with the existing holes, just make sure you cut carefully. No need to have the track pre-bent. The camber on the 25D deck is so slight there is no need. Take the advice of the previous post and and start fastening the rail in the middle and work your way out to the edges, alternating as you go.

Things to watch out for. The traveler car is wider than the stock part you are replacing. The teak rail that mounts under the track angles the car just enough to rub against the teak coaming piece that sits above the engine controls. I had to chamfer that back edge slightly to allow for free rolling of the car. The other thing to watch out for is the mounting of the track below the deck. The traveler is canted on the deck which means the bolts pass through the deck at an angle. When you try to affix the nut to the bolt it will not seat flush with the deck. I had to cut wedges out of starboard to off set the angle and get a good seat below the deck. There is a hidden cost associated with this upgrade. The old traveler car had the main sheet block permanently attached. I had to replace the main sheet block as well.

Things to consider. Windward sheeting car or not? The 25D is really too small to benefit greatly from a windward sheeting car. It really adds to the cost. Single continuous line or two separate control lines? I decided to go with one continuous line to reduce the clutter in the aft end of the cockpit. Seems to work ok but a bit more friction than I'd like. Might change this later.

Is it that much better than the original? As far as performance goes, its the same. Where I see benefit is the likelihood that I'll actually use the traveler. Previously I avoided setting the proper traveler angle because working with knurled screws and pinching my fingers just wasn't worth it. Now I will use the traveler to help balance the helm on the windy days.