C -cushions

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Tracuman
Location: Callipygian 1982 Cape Dory 25D Hull #9 Treasure Island Fla

C -cushions

Post by Tracuman »

I've got a set of C-cushions for my cockpit that came with the boat. they're in decent shape, but being white, they look dirty and stained. Has anyone found covers or made covers for these that work and look good? At $500+ a set , I really don't want to replace them yet because they're still "cushy".
It's not what you have, but what you do with it that counts.
grabhamb

Cushion Covers

Post by grabhamb »

I just finished a lengthy project recovering all of my C cushions. They were originals with the boat and were cracking and discolored. I found a large quantity of naughahyde looking material in the bargain bin of a fabric store and bought 20 yards of it for less than $50. Using a Singer sewing machine I fashioned piping first and then sewed covers for each cushion. Overall project cost me about 20 hours of sewing over several weeks but the end result has received several compliments and astonished looks from the ladies as they state, "You know how to sew?" It's not that difficult and the dollar savings over new C cushions was about $500. If you have a sewing machine and the time I highly recommend making your own covers. Good luck.

Bob Grabham
S/V Hunky Dory, CD36 #140
Topping, Virginia
Nancy Martin
Location: Cape Dory 31, Hull #85, "Carina", Typhoon, Hull #1655, "KnoTy Boy", Atlanta, GA

C Cushions

Post by Nancy Martin »

The company will "re-dip" the cushions so they will look good as new.
Nancy
Nancy & John Martin
Sailing on Lake Lanier just NE of Atlanta
Typhoon #1655 "KnoTy Boy" 1979
CD31 #85 "Carina" 1985
www.carina31.blogspot.com
Tracuman
Location: Callipygian 1982 Cape Dory 25D Hull #9 Treasure Island Fla

re-dip

Post by Tracuman »

That would be great, but I'm betting they are so old, they cannot be redipped. Of course, you never know until you ask and so after I post this thank you for the feedback, I'm emailing the c-cushion folks to see if they will do this.
It's not what you have, but what you do with it that counts.