Stranded at Navy Base

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

photochief
Papa's Pride
Little Creek Amphibious Base

Stranded at Navy Base

Post by photochief »

At the boat slip I was doing an operational check on my 27 foot bristol. The diesel engine started normally. I shifted into reverse and boat moved back against its lines. When I shifted into forward the boat did not move forward. The propeller did not seem to be working correctly. I am trying to diagnose the problem before jumping in the cold water or having it towed to the boatyard.

The boat backs up normally when in reverse gear but when put in forward gear the prop wash continues to move "weakly" in same direction as if still inn reverse. At first I thought there was a problem with the transmission or linkage but after crawling down into bilge and observing the transmission linkage and prop shaft reverse directions when the gearshift was operated from forward to reverse I don't see this as the problem. Last time I took her out all operated correctly. I'm thinking something unusual like the prop nut loose or the prop is fowled with something. My boat is berthed at a navy base without repair services. Any creative thoughts?? At 60 years I don't relish going over the side in black water anymore unless really really necessary.
PhotoChief
Didereaux

PhotoC...maybe...

Post by Didereaux »

Some transmissions use a double clutch affair instead of normal gears . What happens is that since most of the work done is in forward gear that particular 'clutch' surface wears out before it's reverse counterpart does. I am certain my nomenclature is wrong, but the gist of it is correct. Thing to do is get the tranny mfr and model number and talk to a repair outfit, they can tell you immediately if it is that sort of transmission. BTW the parts are around $200-300 for most of the smaller trannies.

I helped a friend recently repair exactly this problem; hence, the current knowledge.

g'Luk
Didereaux- San Leon, TX
last owner of CD-25 #183 "Spring Gail"
"I do not attempt to make leopards change their spots...after I have skinned them, they are free to grow 'em back or not, as they see fit!" Didereaux 2007
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

"Get wet time"

Post by Jim Davis »

Sounds like a classic case of foul prop. You say the shaft turns properly when you shift so the tranny seems OK. Weak water movement sounds like you are spinning a lot of barnacles.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
jefff

Take her out to ocean view and find a sand bar

Post by jefff »

to clean it. Can you reach the prop with a boat hook to see if you can "feel" any barnacles or trash wrapped around the prop?
Jeff Funston