Equipment For Changing Oil

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Evergreen
Location: 1986 Cape Dory 36 - Hull # 139 - "Evergreen" - kept at Great Island Boat Yard - Maine

Equipment For Changing Oil

Post by Evergreen »

Here are a few question regarding changing the oil of you diesel engine:
Do you use a manual pump or an electric pump to pump your oil out?
Have you had any particular good or bad luck with any particular pump out tool? What are your recommendations?
Is there a particular oil filter wrench that works especially well in the cramped space of a boat?
What are some tricks to minimize the mess? I had one mechanic tell me that it is so darn messy that it is worth paying a professional to do it so that you don't have to deal with it.

I hope to do the job myself but would like to learn from others how to avoid some of the common pitfalls.

Any input will be greatly appreciated by this diesel novice.

Sincerely, Philip & Sharon
Philip & Sharon
https://share.delorme.com/ADVNTURUNLIMITD (Where is Evergreen?)
http://northernexposurein2013.blogspot.com/ (Link to older blogs)
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

NO NO NO

Post by Oswego John »

Philip and Sharon,

No no no. There will be no electric pumps, of any sort, on board the ship at any time.

In the last few days, there have been three pages advising us of the intrinsic evil involved with electric pumps on our craft. :D Just kidding

I use a hand vacuum pump with a long flexible tube inserted down inside the oil filler opening. The pickup tube has to reach as far as possible down to the bottom of the engine sump. (pan)

Run the engine a bit to warm and thin the oil before extracting it. With the oil system emptied, it's a good time to change your oil filter(s)

You won't be able to siphon all of the used oil out, but you should be able to get most of it.

I'm sure others will tell you of their methods.

Remember, no electric pumps. That's a no no. :D
O J
Last edited by Oswego John on Jun 16th, '07, 01:07, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Raehl
Location: CD27 #151, Roberta Jane III, Belmont Harbor, Chicago

Post by Mike Raehl »

Phillip & Sharon,
Same method as OJ except I use a two foot piece of copper tubing attached to the hose on the manual pump. The copper tube insures reaching to the bottom of the oil sump to get more of the old oil and debris. The copper tubing "trick" was recommended at a Mack Boring diesel class.
Mike Raehl
Al Levesque

Baggies for the filter

Post by Al Levesque »

I pump out the sump same as the previous posts. One way to reduce the mess of changing the oil filter is to place a bag over it after it has broken loose and before loosening further. Still messy but not as bad. I keep an absorbent pad beneath it to catch the drippings.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Have the mechanic do it

Post by Neil Gordon »

Just a point of view and I really don't object to those who would rather work on their own motors, etc.

But... I have an independent mechanic (not the yard) change the oil and winterize every year. When he's done, he shrink wraps the boat and it rests for the winter.

The cost vs. doing it myself is offset by the relationship I have with the mechanic. I keep him on speed dial... and little things that go wrong here and there he takes care of for me without charge, since he's usually around the marina, anyway. (Some of those little things keep you in the slip until they are fixed!) He's amazing at finding parts for the MD7A, too.

I'm far from his best customer; the relatively small investment I make in him vs. savings and doing myself has proved well worth it.

(There's a knowledge sacrifice here, too... if I had been doing more work myself I'd be better equiped for repairs when and if.)
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
SeaBelle
Sea Belle
Hail port: Rockland, ME

Nappies

Post by SeaBelle »

Phillip & Sharon,

Although my children are grown and only one of my 6 grandchildren is still in diapers and in spite of the fact that none of them come to the boat, there are always diapers on board.

They are great for absorbing stuff, oil in particular.
Sail on,
Jack
CD28 Sea Belle
Hailport - Rockland, ME

There are old sailors and bold sailors, but there are no old, bold sailors.

Reef early and often. It's easier to shake out a reef when one is bored than it is to tuck one in when one is scared.

When your only tool is a hammer, all your problems look like nails.
darmoose
Mystic Rose

run the engine before you put the tube into the engine.....

Post by darmoose »

O.J.

i have never tried to put the suction tube down through the oil filler opening. i always use the dip stick opening.

can you get down through the oil filler opening all the way to the bottom easily? i may have to try that, if so.

freewheelin in so. florida

darrell
barfwinkle

Same Question as Darmoose

Post by barfwinkle »

I didnt knkow it was possible to get to the oil sump/pan going through the filler hole? Can that be done on most engines, your engine, how about a 1GM?????

I am currently rigging a gallon can with two valve stems. One for the pickup line and one for the suction pump. Saw this in an old Cruising World. IF it works then only one hose get dirty and all the old oil is in the can. Shold be great.

~~~~~_)~~~~
Bill Member #250.
barfwinkle

Question for OJ

Post by barfwinkle »

No no no. There will be no electric pumps, of any sort, on board the ship at any time.
OJ I don't understand this, so could you please enlighten me?

TIA
Bill Member #250.
Oswego John

It's A No No

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Bill,

I was just hacking around, yanking on peoples chains, no one in particular. If you noticed my original post, I used several laughing, happy faces with it.

Evergreen asked what to use for changing oil, an electric or hand pump?

"No electric pumps" was in reference to the three pages worth, including my own post, of not having an electric bilge pump on board. For a variety of solid reasons, using a melange of methods and equipment, all bilge water (including oil) will be pumped manually.

Any sane, rational minded CD owner knows that the use of an electric bilge pump is a No No in the strictest sense. It goes without question, a matter not debateable.

DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT

CDSOA High Command :D
John Vigor

Question for O J

Post by John Vigor »

Oswego John wrote: I use a hand vacuum pump with a long flexible tube inserted down inside the oil filler opening. The pickup tube has to reach as far as possible down to the bottom of the engine sump. (pan)

O J
O J, Darmoose and Barfwinkle have already asked you this question, but I'm going to ask it again:

Is it possible to remove the old engine oil through the oil filler opening?

Like others, I've used the dipstick tube, but never the oil filler.

As a matter of fact, I don't use either on my present Westerbeke 13, which has a flexible rubber hose attached to the forward end of the sump. You simply remove the plug from the hose, lower the hose into a bucket in the bilge, and the oil drains itself out. The only problem is that the engine is tilted down toward the stern, and the the sump drain is is at the foward, or higher end, so you only get about half the oil out this way. I have to pour two quarts of new oil into the oil filler opening to flush out enough oil to make a decent oil change. But at least it's a simple process.

John V.
Oswego John

Oil Change

Post by Oswego John »

Hmmmm,

[quote=J. Vigor]
"Is it possible to remove the old engine oil through the oil filler opening? "

It depends on the engine. If the filler is on top, you probably can't. You only have oil return holes.

If the filler is on the side, you can. You have a straight shot.

Sorry for the delay.
O J
ronkberg

Hand vacuum pump for sale

Post by ronkberg »

Sorry if this appears to be on the wrong page, but I have a vacuum pump that is missing the suction hose. If anyone wants it, I'll give it away for the cost of shipping, or you can come to Maine and take it away for free. No need to suck the oil out of my Typhoon !!

Ron
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Sailing in Saco Bay, Maine
Bruce Ebling

Vacuum Pump

Post by Bruce Ebling »

Ron: I sent you a pm. Could really use the pump if it is still available.

Bruce Ebling
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

permenantly mounted pump

Post by Gary M »

When my friends Perkins 4 108 was out of the boat he removed the oil drain plug and had a machinist drill and tap it with pipe threads.

He used these threads to install a high pressure hose that leads to a conveniently mounted extraction pump.

Now when he decides its time to change oil he can just turn on the pump and start filling old oil cans.

To fill with new oil he just reverses the direction of the pump and pumps new oil back in.

It works incredibly well.

The filter is located next to the pump and has room to place a pan under it to eliminate the mess.

Now its so easy to change oil, he never hesitates doing it.

As for me, I follow Neil. On my last boat I had my mechanic do my oil changes for me. He was quick and very neat and took the old oil with him so I didn't have to deal with it. All in all it didn't cost that much and it was one of the luxuries I treated myself to.

Gary