How old are these Typhoon sails?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

wingreen

How old are these Typhoon sails?

Post by wingreen »

Hello all,

Since they seem to be in pretty good shape, I never gave it much thought since I acquired my Ty last winter. But now I'd like to know if the tag on the sails is an indicator of their age?

The tag on both sails reads, "Made exclusively for Cape Dory by Cheong Lee of Hong Kong"

Is this sail maker still around? Are these replacements, or could they be the original sails, as unlikely as that may seem?

Thanks as always for your help.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

From my experience with used Cape Dorys, I'd bet a nickel that those truly are the original sails! At least that was the "original equipment" sail maker I remember from the mid-70s. If they work for you, sail 'em, if you want better performance, replace 'em.

-michael
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
wingreen

Where can I get more of that?!

Post by wingreen »

Dang. If they really are the originals, I'd want to buy replacements from the same company. Anybody who makes sails that last 33 yrs is worth some repeat business!
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

CHEONG LEE SAILMAKERS LTD, HONG KONG

Post by RIKanaka »

From their website, http://www.leesails.com/

"Established in 1947 ... Still going strong....

We realise that not many of you sail around in 3-masters built 100 years ago, the likes of the Christian Radich, the Norwegian training ship. But when the Radich decided to renew her complete sail inventory of 14,480 sq. ft, we were selected to do it.

So were other tall ships like the American Rover, the Sorlandet, the Statsraad Lehmkuhl, the Te Quest, the Unicorn, etc. In fact, it's the adaptability and versatility that have made Lee Sails a truly international sailmaker. Be it a fleet of sabots or a renowned Beneteau 51, you'll find Lee Sails on board.
"

I recall reading a post on this board where the author aid that wouldn't buy sail from abroad. Well, if they were good enough for Cape Dory, they're good enough for me. Also consider the legendary skills of Hong Kong tailors/seamstresses.

I recall someone else on this board who chose to get their sails from Cheong Lee commenting that the price was very reasonable, even when you factor in the shipping. And they already had the specs for the stock sails.
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
Lew Gresham

In NY!

Post by Lew Gresham »

Weekender
hull #914
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

Re: In NY!

Post by RIKanaka »

OK, so they make them in NY too? Well, they also have legendary tailors there.
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
Jim Evans

Lee Sails; Highly Recommended

Post by Jim Evans »

I purchased a new main for my Weekender (#1851) about 4 years ago from Lee Sails - at the time, the price was just under $400, including shipping. As mentioned, they have the specs for the sail, and so it fit perfectly. The sails are still built in Hong Kong - but they are imported thru their NE distributor on Long Island. The service was great; I highly recommend them.
Jim Evans
Tim Mertinooke

Re: Lee Sails; Highly Recommended

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

j. evans wrote:I purchased a new main for my Weekender (#1851) about 4 years ago from Lee Sails - at the time, the price was just under $400, including shipping. As mentioned, they have the specs for the sail, and so it fit perfectly. The sails are still built in Hong Kong - but they are imported thru their NE distributor on Long Island. The service was great; I highly recommend them.
Being the current owner of #1851 "Oceanid" I can tell you that the main sail is in great shape still after a few seasons of heavy sailing. Having purcahsed a Pearson Ariel last winter, the Typhoon will now reside at my parents camp up at Lake Winnipesaukee. Awesome boat!

Here is a picture from last year...

Last edited by Tim Mertinooke on Jun 10th, '07, 11:22, edited 1 time in total.
CD26 #52
"Odyssey"
wingreen

Winnipesaukee!?

Post by wingreen »

Hey, I know Winnipesaukee! I've never sailed on it, but my family and I used to vacation there (w/ the in-laws). I've seen plenty of motorboats on the lake, but I don't recall ever seeing a sailboat.

Do you get much wind there? I would think that the hills in the area pretty much kill the breeze, but perhaps there's some remnant swirling around in there?
SeaBelle
Sea Belle
Hail port: Rockland, ME

Sailing Winnipesaukee

Post by SeaBelle »

I've seen 37' sail boats there and the m/v Mount Washington is humongous! They seem BIG for a lake (other than a great lake).

The winds are fluky. I lived in Alton for 7 years but always kept my boat in salt water.
Sail on,
Jack
CD28 Sea Belle
Hailport - Rockland, ME

There are old sailors and bold sailors, but there are no old, bold sailors.

Reef early and often. It's easier to shake out a reef when one is bored than it is to tuck one in when one is scared.

When your only tool is a hammer, all your problems look like nails.
wingreen

Re: Sailing Winnipesaukee

Post by wingreen »

SeaBelle wrote:I've seen 37' sail boats there and the m/v Mount Washington is humongous! They seem BIG for a lake (other than a great lake).
We went for a cruise on the Washington. It was a blast. Everybody on shore flashes their lights while we're passing. It's a signal to the pilot to blow the horn. Needless to say, that horn was blowing for most of the cruise.

The in-laws are real New England folks. They tell us they're going to "The We-ahs" for the summer. What a trip...
Solmar
Robinhood 36
Wolfeboro, NH

Post by Solmar »

As I write this post I am overlooking Lake "Winni" from my office and I agree, it is a wonderful place. The lake has many sailboats that are >30'. If you need any information please go to LWSA.org
wingreen

Post by wingreen »

carroll35 wrote:As I write this post I am overlooking Lake "Winni" from my office and I agree, it is a wonderful place. The lake has many sailboats that are >30'. If you need any information please go to LWSA.org
I suppose I wasn't looking hard enough. I have other things on my mind when I'm around the in-laws...
Watermark II

winnipesaukee sailboats

Post by Watermark II »

There certainly are sailboats on lake winnipesaukee including about 25 J80s that race weekly.

In our club there are about40 sailboats including a CD30K, a CD25D and until recently a CD25 that was struck by lightning a week after launch.

The wind can be a challenge sometimes and can be counted on to shift without warning. so far this season we have had fairly good 10-15 knot wind regularly.

Andy
N1ZXD
Watermark II
CD30K #2