Cape Dory 27 vs 28, Thoughts?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

GB
La Pointe, Madeline Island, Lake Superior

Cape Dory 27 vs 28, Thoughts?

Post by GB »

I,m currently looking for a boat in the 28' range. Any thoughts on the 27 compared to the 28, besides the obvious (lenght, beam,and disp.)? How is the 27 in big water?

Thanks
gbe
John Ring

Post by John Ring »

It's still 27', even in big water.

John Ring :)
CD28 Tantalus
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Cape Dory 27 vs 28, Thoughts?

Post by Neil Gordon »

GB wrote: How is the 27 in big water?
Define "big."

On either side of the 27, both the 25D and the 28 have safely crossed oceans. I'm not sure there's a huge safety difference.

The ongoing discussion here is where the extra foot or so is inserted as the models go up in size. The 27 and 28 are close, with the 27 being reported as a better sailing boat but the 28 having a bit more room. From 28 to 30, we never have found where the two feet is, with the v-berth, cockpit and cabin all seemingly the same size.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
GB

27 & 28's

Post by GB »

You are touching on what I was trying to find out, safety wise at least. Can you explain a little more on comment of the 27 sailingn a little better than the 28? Size wise I'm looking at the 27, 28, and 30. All the 30's that I have seen a priced out of my budget, so I'm looking between the 27 and 28 in the Cape dory line. How much interior room difference do find between the 27 and 28?

Thanks
gbe
John Ring

Post by John Ring »

The 28 does seem a good bit larger than the 27 inside, more than 1' would suggest. It's odd, but the 30 doesn't feel larger than the 28 at all really.

It's always best to compare boats by weight, rather than length. It gives you a better feel for how much boat you've got.

John Ring
CD28 Tantalus
www.yachttantalus.com
GB

Post by GB »

Lake Superior is the water that I will using the boat that I end with. A 28 that I was going to make and offer was sold before I could inspect it. I'm now looking at a 27, which I would use on Lake Superior. I'm trying to decide if the 27 would still be big enough for my use. Obvious safety is on issue. I will not be loading the boat with lots of crew. I will probably single had and have one or two other at times. So safety and sailing qualities are probably two important things for me.
gbe
Clay Stalker

One guys's thoughts

Post by Clay Stalker »

This is a subject that is well-represented in the archives. Given that, I have owned a CD27 and now own a Sea Sprite 27/28. My thoughts on the differences between the CD27 and 28 are this:

It has been said that the 27 is the largest of CDs small boats, and the 28 is the smallest of the large boats. I think this is accurate.

The 27 is lighter and has less beam, so seems to sail a bit better, however, with waterline being a primary determinant of speed, the 28 should clearly be a bit faster. While the 27 does pick up a little waterline when heeling, it's not enough to compensate. I believe the 27 is a bit faster in lighter air, and the 28 faster in heavier air and overall.

The 28 has 1,500 lbs. more displacement. This will result in an easier motion at sea and the ability to carry more weight. It has a bit more headroom, and is a bit better suited to the long-term cruiser than the 27, a great daysailer and weekender.

Most of the 28s are twin-headsail sloops, so provide more sail combinations, a plus when cruising and in heavy weather. The 27s are sloops, easier to sail and perhaps a bit better to weather.

The 27 has a neat transom locker that I found very useful, and I am glad my Sea Sprite has one also. The 28 has more room below.

28s are more plentiful as more were built. Later model 27s are hard to find but worth looking for.

Personally, it would be hard for me to pick a favorite from the two. I did love my 27, but found the 5'11" headroom a problem for this 6 footer. I guess it would just be a matter of how the boat was to be used. If I was going longer distance cruising or even spending a summer aboard, the 28 would be my choice. If I primarily daysailed and did some weekends primarily along the coast, I would choose the 27.

My current boat seems to be the perfect compromise between the two. She is 27'11" long, has a displacement of 7,600 lbs, a bit more draft than the 27 but the same waterline, and has 6' of headroom. She has the interior room of the 28, but the pretty overhangs of the 27.

My humble advice? Sail them both, gaze at length at them, then buy the one that you like the way it sails and like the way it looks to your eye. And condition is everything.....you can always tell a boat that was loved by it's owner. Fortunately for you, most CDs fall into this category. Good luck.
Clay Stalker
Westmoreland, NH and Spofford Lake, NH
GB

Post by GB »

Thanks, great information. Unfortunatly I'm probably not going to be able to find the two different boats to test sail. Availabilty and price are going to determine part of my choice. I recently missed out on 28 that I wanted to look at. I now have found what appears to be a decent 27 to look at. Hence my questions on differences. This will be my first "big" boat. I'm not totally sure on how much size I will need. I will diffently day sail and weekend with it, but I also anticipate cruising at times. I'm limited by location availablity and pricing of the boats that I'm looking at/for. I know that If I had the choice between two equal 27s and 28s (condition, price, and location) I would get the 28. But it still sounds like the 27 would be good.
gbe
Clay Stalker

Thanks

Post by Clay Stalker »

I would like to thank John Ring for pointing out an error in my previous post.....CD28 are sloops also, as are the 27s. It is the 30s that are double headsail sloops.

I try to be helpful and accurate in my posts, and do appreciate it when someone notices something. :D
Clay Stalker
Westmoreland, NH and Spofford Lake, NH
bottomscraper

Carls Sailboat Calculator

Post by bottomscraper »

Both boats are already listed in Carl's Sailboat calculator. It's free and fun for comparing boat specs link below:

http://www.image-ination.com/sailcalc.html
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
John D.
CD27 #105
Annapolis, Maryland

Come to Annapolis and do a side-by-side comparison

Post by John D. »

I've got a CD27, and there's a CD28 at the end of the pier.

The CD27 has more deck/cockpit space and less cabin space than CD28. The CD28 has basically the CD30 cabin, and fits it in by not having a lazarette. The CD28 at my marina is a definitely a cutter/double-headsail rig, with a bowsprit.
photochief
Papa's Pride
Little Creek Amphibious Base

Ultimate safety at sea question, perhaps.

Post by photochief »

Others have responded concerning the amenities of the cd27 vs cd28. I own a 27 Bristol and follow the CD website for its valuable information for all sailors. However, on one lazy summer sail in the Chesapeake I pondered the question of how long a Tsunami would take to reach my boat. With difficulty I dismissed the thought and only revisited it after reading GB's question. Would one foot difference in length have implications on safety? I have calculated that a Tsunami originating at the Gorringe Bank near the junction of the North African plate and the European plate would travel approx. 400 mph to the west. Therefore my 27 foot crew would have approx. 0.002 seconds more to prepare for the wave compared to a 28 foot boat. BTW last Tsunami from the Gorringe Bank near Portugal was in 1755. Calculations available upon request.

PhotoChief :D
BubbaThePirate

CD28

Post by BubbaThePirate »

I just bought a CD28. I am looking to cruise long term by 2008. I agree with the statement that the cabin is as roomy as a 30 because of the lack of lazarette. Not in the water yet, so I can't comment too much further.

There is some work to be done, but I hope I am in the water by July.

Fair Winds,

TrT
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Eat When You're Hungry
Work When You're Broke
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Member #1005
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Buck
previous CD28 23 yrs

27 vs 28

Post by Buck »

I owned a 28 for 23 years and routinely sailed against a 27 in races. Heavy air, I'd win, light air he'd win. The 28 has lots more room below, in fact the 28 has almost as much room as the 30 I have now. The 28 I think, does everything as well as the 30. One consideration is the diesel, the 28's have a volvo or universal 2 cyl that might provide a slightly better hull speed under power than the 1 cyl 27. The analogy that the 27 is the biggest of the small cape dorys and the 28 is the smallest of the big cape dorys is pretty accurate. They are both great sailing boats but you would definately notice the size difference...big question is how many people will be sailing with you..4 sleeping on a 27 is perhaps a little cozy.
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

I would agree with most of the above. However, I would add that TIA MARI (CD27 1979) our previous boat was fun to sail, very responsive to the helm--albeit under powered with the Yanmar 8 (a wonderful small engine)--a bit like a big dinghy.

It is a matter of taste and need, I suspect. The CD27 is very pleasing to my eye, especially the stern overhang, which is absent on the CD28. The extra space below on the CD28 could certainly be useful when sailing with extra hands.

Both are tough little ships that can stand rougher conditions than you might. You could be proud of either for many years.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Annapolis (where I might get to sail this season) MD
CDSOA Founding Member