CD 25D NEWBIE

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

dtoydogd

CD 25D NEWBIE

Post by dtoydogd »

Thinking of installing an electric bilge pump.
I had the idea to attach the pump outlet to the sink drain
which is nearby, using a plastic connector.
Do I need some kind of backflow preventer?

Also trying to replace my impeller.
It seems to be located just below the fan belt pulley.
No screws just hex bolts.Is there an easy way to remove it?
ARCTIC GREY
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Welcome aboard and the best of luck with the new boat.

The best money you can spend for impellar replacement is the Speed Seal http://www.speedseal.com/speedseal.html

I dont recall the price, but well worth it (maybe $75-$80).

While this is not a Yanmar 1GM (pictured) they make Speed Seals for them, and they are great.

What the new boats name?
Bill Member #250.
Neil Kozlowski

I would NOT use the sink Drain

Post by Neil Kozlowski »

The sink drain seacock should be closed when you leave the boat. So using this drain is not a good idea. If you have a manual bilge pump line, you can put a Y connection in this line making sure there is a loop in your electric pump line so water will not easily back up your electric bilge pump line. Check valves are not a great idea in bilge pump lines because they can stick when you need them to work the most. I did this in my CD28 and it worked fine for 18 years. Of course, the ideal arrangement is to have a dedicated overboard.
Neil Kozlowski
Ariel CD330 #146
Steve Kuhar
Pensacola, Fl.

What Neil Said

Post by Steve Kuhar »

To emphasize what Neil said a bilge pump must be routed to a thruhull that is above the waterline, and if the manual bilge pump line is tapped both lines must be looped to prevent pumping out with one pump and in from the other one. It is good practice to close all seacocks except cockpit scuppers when the boat is left unattended.

Steve Kuhar