Yamaha High-Thrust 9.9 for CD 26

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Nick Armstrong
formally NUREL
Point Judith Pond, Rhode Island

Build 1985

Yamaha High-Thrust 9.9 for CD 26

Post by Nick Armstrong »

The mounting board in my CD26 has been relocated and will accommodate a 2000 Honda 15. I believe the Yamaha High-Thrust 9.9 will fit. I previously had a CD25 with a 9.9 Sailmaster which was more than addaquite. Will the Yamaha be strong enough? I have some strong currents in my area. As I said the 9.9 Sailmaster was Ok for my CD 25. I've been told the High-Thrust Yamaha 9.9 has much more punch. If anyone has used the Yamaha High-Thrust, I would very much like to talk.

Later ~~~ Nick Armstrong, CD26, Knot a Clew
Nick Armstrong
bottomscraper

Yamaha 9.9 High Thrust

Post by bottomscraper »

We had one on our S2-23. What a nice motor! Lots of power and quiet, quiet quiet! At idle you had to hang your head over the side to know if it was running. The S2-23 was about 1000lbs lighter than the CD26 but the CD26 hull shape I suspect is easier to push so I would think it would do well.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
shawnmce
Baltimore MD

Yamaha 8hp high-thrust 4 stroke

Post by shawnmce »

Last year, I purchased a Yamaha 8hp high-thrust 4 stroke. Awesome motor!!! I ,too, had a Johnson Sailmaster (I still do and it is for sale for $450) which worked well for me in my CD26. The Yamaha, so far, exceeds my expectations. It is quiet, powerful, and very importantly, efficient on gas. If you have any questions, I'd be glad to try to answer them.

Shawn
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi Nick,

I had a friend who owned a CD26 that was powered by a Honda 4-stroke 5 HP engine. It pushed the boat at hull speed without hardly having to move the throttle a smidgeon from idle. I don't think you need anything more than 8 or 9 HP (if it's a Honda anyway -- don't know how much power other brands provide for the same number of horses). You don't need the added weight of a larger engine nor the extra HP.

Unfortunately, Joe passed away last June and the boat was sold, so I can't provide any other information on that engine other than that he regularly left us in his wake if we were both motoring.

Fair winds,
Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay