Painting Non-Skid

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

jamie harrell
"Osprey"
Mobjack Bay VA

Painting Non-Skid

Post by jamie harrell »

Our Typhoon's foredeck is looking bad. It was refurbished by the former former owner about 7 years ago. We're thinking we need to tackle repainting the nice blue non-skid on the deck as it's starting to really crack.

I'm guessing it is just going to be a good deal of sanding and we have a can of the old Interlux paint to go off of for matching. Any tips/suggestions from folks? It seems like taping isn't the easiest with the curve of the deck?

We're also installing a small depth gauge that reads thru the hull. Curious what folks think as a good small battery. We're on a mooring so don't have the benefit of shore power. We're thinking something small and light that would be easy to take off and on when charging is needed.
Dave Brandt
Rochester, MN

Painting non-skid

Post by Dave Brandt »

Jamie,

If the paint on the non-skids is failing, you will have to remove it before re-painting. The non-skids on my boat had some cracks running through them that needed to be repaired, so I sanded them down and re-textured them. As far as taping, use a "fine line" tape, you can get it at any auto parts store that carries painting supplies, I think I used 1/8" & 1/4". With this tape you can strike nice curves. I taped over the fine line with something like 3M green to complete the masking.

I have had good success with my solar panel keeping my batteries charged.

Dave