CD30 Dream Galley - What would you change?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jumping Flea

CD30 Dream Galley - What would you change?

Post by Jumping Flea »

To all you CD30 galley slaves...

If you could rip out your galley cabinets, counters, etc, and rebuild them to a dream configuration (realistically - I know there's no room for a walk-in)...

What would you change?

We have a new (to us) CD30 and just ripped everything out and we want to put it back with improvements...I'm sure there are some things that must be aggravating. We've already found several "What were they thinking when they built it like this?" things that annoy us. We don't want to put them back that way if we don't have to.

Appreciate your input... :D
miguel mascaros
Centerport Harbor NY

Post by miguel mascaros »

Well JF....
If I could, first thing that comes to mind is relocating ice box away from engine compartment and if not possible to do it...INSULATE as much as possible....
This is one thought....there's more to come....the board wisdom is infinite....
Cheers/Mike
Steve Laume

An attractive chef who never gets sea sick

Post by Steve Laume »

Insulation for the ice box is critical. One of the things that annoys me is the the engine is not isolated from the area under the galley sink. If you reach into that cabinet you could stick your fingers right into the whirling blades of death. That is, the alternator and associated belt has no protection at all. I would very much like to see the engine in a compartment of it's own. I have a cover that goes over the stove when not in use. I would like to make arrangements for that cover to be used as extra counter space on either side of the short bulk head at the aft end of the settees. This stuff is mostly modification to the existing set up. If you were starting from scratch you have an open palate. The chef would still be a fine addition in either case, Steve.
Mitch F
CD30K, Mere Point, Maine

Post by Mitch F »

My favorite improvement to Pilgrim's galley was two fold up tables that extend the counter space. They are located on the forward side of the partial bulkhead separating the gally from the salon. They fold up when in use and fold down almost flush with the bulkhead so they are not uncomfortable when sitting with your back to the wall and legs stretched out forward.
mahalocd36

Re: CD30 Dream Galley - What would you change?

Post by mahalocd36 »

Off the top of my head, if I had the counters off,
I would replace the counters with corian/solid surface.
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
Jumping Flea

Engine Placement?

Post by Jumping Flea »

Steve,

Our 30C is a 1978 and the alternator is facing aft. We are also going to repower and were wondering if later 30s were built with the engine reversed - (alternator facing forward). If this is true, is the basic difference that the engine compartment comes out farther into the galley? Or is there more difference than that? We'd like to convert it if possible. Don't know if you know the answer but maybe someone else does...

As for the icebox, yes, it definitely needs SOME insulation, as it currently has none! We will definitely make that improvement.

And, I'm not a pretty galley slave - but I am a good cook - hopefully that will count for something!
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Being a good cook is all that counts. My boat is a 1984 model with the Universal engine. The Raw water pump and alternator are both facing forward and are very easy to get at. The trouble is that the alternator sticks out on the port side so much that it enters the area under the sink. I have thought about making a belt guard for it and it would still be a very good idea. You have to be careful what and how you stuff things into that cabinet. I put sound dampening insulation on the inside of the motor cover and it made a huge difference. If you could build in the entire engine compartment and insulate it, that would be a major improvement. We have great boats, Steve.
chase

sink access

Post by chase »

The one thing I really don't like about my galley is the sink location. In order to wash dishes, one has to assume a funny bent-over position.

I have a bit of CD 36 galley envy with the aft facing sink. It looks as though one could more or less stand up straight and do dishes.

My Yanmar w/v-drive has alternator aft. Be careful in that cabinet, Steve.

Chase
MarcMcCarron

Galley ideas

Post by MarcMcCarron »

I like my frig. Compressor is in back of single sink and icebox is well insulated. Works off of 12v and 110. Propane stove is a good idea.
MARC MCCARRON
Boyd

Add a microwave

Post by Boyd »

Yes some may say its silly but I found it to be the greatest galley improvement second only to the liquid soap dispenser at the sink.

You can fix a meal in minutes without heating up the boat and it uses surprisingly few amp-hrs. Nice in August late in the day when you are dog tired. If nothing else you can store the bread in it while its not being used.

BTW the inverter that is necessary to make the microwave work is very useful for the other 120v appliances such as electric razors, etc. As you can see I dont suffer much when I sail.

Put the sink as close to the boats center line as possible.

Boyd
s/v Tern
CD30 MkII
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
Dan F

Post by Dan F »

If you're going to seal off the engine compartment from the under-sink compartment, you might consider doing it in with some sort of a removable hatch between them. Having just replaced the double pipe system draining the galley sinks, I can say that having sideways access through the engine compartment was a real help. Not sure I ever would've gotten the big, corroded pipe nuts off with just that little sink door to work through...
Jumping Flea

Microwave vs Oven

Post by Jumping Flea »

Yes, I have been thinking about that - but was worried about how much power consumption it would take.
I think a 1 or 2 burner stove and a microwave would do nicely.

I will also consider Corian counters - but I'm not sure if it will be worth the expense.

I was amazed at the amount of space available behind the stove - under that sliding cabinet.
Anyone have any ideas as to how we can make that usable?

I will also consider repositioning the sink if possible.

Thanks for all the advice - keep it coming!
Leo MacDonald
Location: 'EVENING LIGHT' CD33 No. 38, Pine Isl. Bay, Groton, CT

Storage Space - CD30

Post by Leo MacDonald »

HI JF,

On Heather Ann (1977 CD30K #57) I cut mini hatches in the bottom of quite a few Galley cabinets, discovering volumes outboard and below the sink and outboard the stove. Outboard & aft of the sink one LARGE can goods locker was created (~6 cu.ft.)

The boat is currently in Pine Isl. Bay, Groton, CT. If you are interested in a look-see, I'll contact the current owner for a demo.

BTW: Is it "Mr. Jumping Flea" or is 'Jumping Flea' you first name? Or, some sort of nickname based on your exploits while in the service? :wink:
Fair Winds,
Leo MacDonald
Founding Fleet Capt., NE Fleet
Past Commodore, Member No. 223
A 'Cape Dory Board' supporting member ~1999 to ~2015 :-)