Propeller choice for new engine?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sailing Soldier

formerly CD 28 #177

Propeller choice for new engine?

Post by Sailing Soldier »

I am in the process of replacing my original 13HP Volvo MD-7A with a new 19 HP Volvo.

Consequently, I'll need to replace the original 2 blade prop.

Just wondering what my fellow CDers have done for replacement props.

Thanks in advnce for your input!

John
paul marti

campbell sailor

Post by paul marti »

John, Two years ago I decided to put a feathering prop on Willow CD33. I soon realized there was not enough room in the aperture for the prop to collapse. I found my way to the Campbell Sailor via friends and Practical Sailor. I am very pleased, drag has been reduced, less vibration and slightly better speed all at a cost of about 15% of a collapsing prop. Check out their website it gives the drag data. The people at North by Northwest were very helpful. Paul Marti
paul marti

campbell sailor

Post by paul marti »

John, Two years ago I decided to put a feathering prop on Willow CD33. I soon realized there was not enough room in the aperture for the prop to collapse. I found my way to the Campbell Sailor via friends and Practical Sailor. I am very pleased, drag has been reduced, less vibration and slightly better speed all at a cost of about 15% of a collapsing prop. Check out their website it gives the drag data. The people at North by Northwest were very helpful. Paul Marti
Dick Barthel

Michigan Wheel

Post by Dick Barthel »

The Michigan Wheel people supply loads of props and supplied props for many of the original CDs. They have an excellent computer program to help you match things up. I got a three-blade to go with my new Betamarine and it was a perfect match.

I won't say anything bad about the Campbell Sailor - that was my second choice.

Dick
Russell

Re: campbell sailor

Post by Russell »

paul marti wrote:John, Two years ago I decided to put a feathering prop on Willow CD33. I soon realized there was not enough room in the aperture for the prop to collapse. I found my way to the Campbell Sailor via friends and Practical Sailor. I am very pleased, drag has been reduced, less vibration and slightly better speed all at a cost of about 15% of a collapsing prop. Check out their website it gives the drag data. The people at North by Northwest were very helpful. Paul Marti
I was interested in a feather prop as well, but quickly found that one would not fit, so I canned the idea. Your mention of Campbell Sailor is the first I have heard of this prop, and looking at the website the claims are very interesting. Could you expand on your experience with this prop? Did propwash get noticably reduced and control in reverse? I imagine a notice in speed under sail due to less drag would be difficult to be sure of. How much did it cost?

Oh, and do they recommend locking or freewheeling this prop? :D

Seriously though, I would love to hear my about this.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
paul marti

Post by paul marti »

Russell, I am very pleased with the prop. I clearly have more power in reverse, especially backing her down in a hurry, which of course I try to avoid. In reverse Willow tracks a little better than she did. The biggest improvements are in noise and vibration reduction, I never considered my boat as excessively noisey or to vibrate much but it is clearly quieter and smoother. Also my cruising speed when motoring is up about a half a knot at 2000rpm, not a lot but on a long day, well you know. To be truthful I haven't paid much attention to prop wash so I don't want to mislead you. Sailing speed, well you're right tough to tell. However I trust practical sailor and just looking at the prop it seems to make sense, less surface, less drag. I can't find my receipt but as I recall it was about $350 with shipping. The old locking or freewheeling debate, I didn't ask, didn't want to here the same old story. But I clearly have it in gear when motoring, much more effective.
Paul Marti
Russell

Post by Russell »

Paul,

Thanks for the info. I am particularly interested to hear about the reduction of noise and vibration, not something I expected. I do consider my engine extreamly noisy, but I am extreamly noise sensitive and find it noisy even when not in gear, so I doubt the improvement is going to satisfy me much there. $350 sounds reasonable to me, I have never priced fixed props before, but that seems okay, I have only priced feather props which are of course insanely expensive and wont fit without major rudder modification anyways.

Thanks again, something I am going to keep in mind.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Bob Maguire
Anacortes, WA

Campbell Sailor Prop

Post by Bob Maguire »

John,

Just replaced an MD7A on a CD30 with the Volvo D1-20. Perfect match for the boat. Highly recommend the Campbell Sailor prop. It's a three blade prop that does live up to all the hype.

Bob Maguire
darmoose
Mystic Rose

Post by darmoose »

john,

are you going to the d1-20. i just put that engine in my cd30k this past year, and am very pleased with it. i know a few others have done likewise with satisfaction i understand.

my propeller is a michigan 13x12LH as i have the v-drive. this prop gives me hull speed at about 2500 to 2800rpms depending on whether i have recently had the bottom cleaned or not.

and while sailing, the drag is not very noticible, provided you let her FREEWHEEL as this engines manual suggests. :wink:

good luck with your new baby. anything i can help you with, just ask.

darrell
mystic rose
Boyd

Campbell Sailor

Post by Boyd »

Hi All:

I bought a Campbell Sailor for my boat a couple of years ago. While ultimately there seems to be some marginal improvements in stopping ability, and less vibration than the 2 blade I had before. Don't think for a minute that North By Northwest has a clue how to size on of these props for your boat. The aggravation ended up costing me a lot of time and $$.

I suggest you check the archives for a more complete recounting of my experience before you dive in, literally. I wouldn't buy another one. I would get a 3 blade prop from one of the other prop manufacturers.

Boyd
s/v Tern
CD30 MkII
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
Sailing Soldier

formerly CD 28 #177

thanks everyone

Post by Sailing Soldier »

Thank you all for your feedback. Like Darrell & Bob, I bought a new Volvo D1-20. I figured if the original Volvo lasted 28 years, why not try another?

I am still undecided about a specific prop, but will probably go with a three blade model. I was unhappy with the original 2 blade.

My main concern is drag with the 3 blade. Has anyone noticed a decrease in sailing speed that went with a 3 blade?
Tom Keevil

Campbell Sailor

Post by Tom Keevil »

We installed one of these props on our boat. The boat still doesn't back in any reliable direction, but the reduction in vibration was quite striking. We are quite pleased with it. It provides considerably more power than the 2-blade we had before.
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Ashland OR and Ladysmith, BC
Dick Barthel

Re: 3 blade - performance

Post by Dick Barthel »

Sailing Soldier wrote:Thank you all for your feedback. Like Darrell & Bob, I bought a new Volvo D1-20. I figured if the original Volvo lasted 28 years, why not try another?

I am still undecided about a specific prop, but will probably go with a three blade model. I was unhappy with the original 2 blade.

My main concern is drag with the 3 blade. Has anyone noticed a decrease in sailing speed that went with a 3 blade?
I haven't noticed any decrease in performance...but then again I'm a prop locker! :wink:

One benefit of a three blade is quicker response from a dead stop, like say leaving your mooring. That comes in handy if its windy and your mooring field is crowded.

Good luck,

Dick
Jumping Flea

Interested in your re-power

Post by Jumping Flea »

Did your motor have a v-drive? If it did, did you use the same v-drive or did you have to buy a new one?

I am going to be repowering my CD30 and am wondering if I have to change the v-drive too? :?:
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

I think all CD30's used the v drive. The shaft aperture would require the engine to be placed to far forward into the galley to do away with it. I'm finishing a re power of mine, Volvo D1-20 with ZF-M15v trans. Seems not to make sense to put in a new diesel and stay with the old Walker trans. The ZF is about a grand more if you get a "package". If you are going through the expense and trouble to re power ....... do it all. A new prop & shaft, shaft seal, oil filter etc.
________
FORD FLEXIBLE FUEL VEHICLE SPECIFICATIONS
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:36, edited 1 time in total.