Dolphinite bedding compound

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

s calder

Dolphinite bedding compound

Post by s calder »

Has anybody had any experience with Dolphinite bedding compound for bedding deck hardware and such? I'm wondering about using it to install and seal new port lights. Thanks
S. Calder sv Falcon
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Bedding Compound

Post by Oswego John »

S. Calder,

I think that Dolphinite is an excellent bedding compound. I feel that it would be very suitable for use in setting your port lights.

One of the reasons that I like it is that it remains semi-flexible after it cures, not like Kirby's or other white lead based compounds. I'm not saying that Kirby's isn't an excellent product. It's just that I wouldn't recommend it's use for setting port lights.

FWIW, Dolphinite is paintable (for those that are into painting bedding compound). Offhand, I would say that Dolphinite is maybe on a par with Tef-Gel, an also very fine bedding compound, among other purposes.

My 2¢
O J
Stan W.

Polysulfide caulk makes Dolphinite obsolete.

Post by Stan W. »

Boatlife Lifecaulk and 3M 101 are two readily available brands.
dasein668

Post by dasein668 »

I disagree that dolphinite and other bedding compounds are obsolete. While generally a great sealang, polysulfides should be used with caution around plastic parts including lexan and polycarbonate as they can cause weakening of the plastic (due I think to leaching of the plasticizers which makes the plastic brittle).

Dolphinite is a great bedding compound to use in these cases, as is standard butyl rubber.
Nathan Sanborn
Dasein, Pearson Triton 668
dasein668.com
Tommy Wade

Do it right with Dolphinite!

Post by Tommy Wade »

I've been using it on my CD 28 and really like it. It's messy to work with. Imagine working with peanut butter. Good news is that it cleans up easily with mineral spirits. Next weekend I am bedding my eyebrows. Going to try loading up a syringe with the dolphinite so I will have better control of the application. Spreading it with a putty knife makes a huge mess.

I've also been using the match trick that I learned from this board. Put a paper match under the item you are bedding so you can tighten everything up without squeezing all the compound out.

Good Luck,

Tommy
CD28 Hull # 346 "Intrepid"
Stan W.

Good point about polysulfide and plastic.

Post by Stan W. »

dasein668 wrote:While generally a great sealang, polysulfides should be used with caution around plastic parts including lexan and polycarbonate as they can cause weakening of the plastic (due I think to leaching of the plasticizers which makes the plastic brittle).
I was assuming that the original poster was talking about bedding the metal portlight frames against the cabin sides, not bedding the plastic lenses into the frames.
dasein668

Post by dasein668 »

That could be. It's also possible that the portlights are glass, I suppose!
Nathan Sanborn
Dasein, Pearson Triton 668
dasein668.com