black tape shear stripe

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jokemo

black tape shear stripe

Post by jokemo »

Has anyone tried removing the original black tape stripe. I've tried several products with little success. Even a razor blade device barely lifted the darn stuff and it would take an entire day at the rate I was going. Thanks for any suggestions. John
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Remove Black Tape Stripe

Post by Oswego John »

Try at auto supply:

Goo-Gone
Vinyl-Off Decal remover
Joes Gel Paint Decal Remover

or

Sticker-Off, at J. C. Whitney

Good luck,
O J
Tom in Cambria

Removing tape

Post by Tom in Cambria »

You might try a heat gun to help also. Sometimes a gun will soften the glue.
Dean Abramson

Question

Post by Dean Abramson »

On this subject, were the original CD cove stripes tape/decal, or were they painted? Was this a dealer option? Obviously many boats (like my old 25D) don't have them. I am curious about all CDs, but I particularly want to know about the 31.

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
mahalocd36

Re: Question

Post by mahalocd36 »

Dean Abramson wrote:On this subject, were the original CD cove stripes tape/decal, or were they painted? Was this a dealer option? Obviously many boats (like my old 25D) don't have them. I am curious about all CDs, but I particularly want to know about the 31.
Dean
On our 36 it is a decal. As is the 'CD' near the stern. We also replaced it with a decal when it started to peel off (auto parts place is much cheaper than boat store).

I think it was an option as many CDs do not have them, even within the model.
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Small hairdryer

Post by bhartley »

Even in the chilly weather, our cove stripe came right off with a $2.00 hair dryer from the thrift store and a razor blade scraper (no scraping required). My heat gun (I own one of them but no hair dryer...) is simply too hot to do the job without risking damage to the topsides.

The hair dryer heat also felt good in the cold!
Tommy Wade

Had similar problem on previous boat.

Post by Tommy Wade »

On my Com-Pac 25, the metallic stripe was in baaaad shape so the last time I hauled her out I decided to remove it. Took me two days with a razor scraper. Hair dryer had no effect. The Florida sun had baked that thing on. The scraper took the sticker off but left the adhesive. Once the sticker was gone, acetone cleaned up the adhesive nicely. You have to be VERY careful with the scraper. I nicked the gel coat a couple of times. I swore I would never PUT a decal on a boat. Now I find myself wanting to restore the stripe on my CD28. Should I? Will I regret it after a few years in the Georgia sun?

Tommy
CD28 Hull # 346 "Intrepid"