CD25 - Forestay and Backstay steel plates issue question

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

KDreese
Hingham, MA

CD25 - Forestay and Backstay steel plates issue question

Post by KDreese »

Just had a survey done on a 1974 CD25 and the only real issue with the boat are the rusting of the plates that support the fore and backstay mountings. We looked into the holes fore and aft and each was rusted on the ends... hard to tell (without cutting larger holes and grinding back to see more) if the metal is actually really bad or just looks bad. Note - port and starboard chainplates are fiberglass not steel and the mast step seems fine.

I am trying to decide on what to do... I havent heard of back and fore stays breaking on CD25's (or any CD for that matter) so not sure if this is hugely critical or something worth passing on the boat. Other than these two issues the boat is in great shape. I plan to have the boat for 2 or 3 years or so and I am not planning on going offshore with the boat but dont want to have the mast come down either. Any assitance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Kevin
"Life begins at 2 knots."
Tony Batchelor

Rusty chain plates

Post by Tony Batchelor »

This is a common problem with CD's as they used mild steel in most vessels, although some owners have reported aluminium.

I have had to change all but the forestay chainplate on my CD 30.

access to the aft plate is good the shroud plates were less easy as interiour fittings and woodwork had to be removed to gain access.

I replaced with half inch thick stainless steel. bedding the new plates to the hull in thickened epoxy.

while you are looking at the chain plates take a good look at the bulkhead woodwork for damage caused by water leaking passed the rusty plates or screws from the deck fittings.