25D Grounding Plate

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

ricks
Hull #169
Provincetown, MA

25D Grounding Plate

Post by ricks »

Over winter I had a minor diesel leak - a leaky fuel filter. It was a small leak and has been fixed with a new racor filter and the minor spill cleaned up. I noticed a problem though as a result and am not sure what to make of it. There is an "oil stain" around the grounding plate on the outside of the hull. It seems that the diesel that was in the bilge seeped through and is showing. It is very small, only extending about 1/2 in around, but is quite noticable.

How is the grounding place bedded? Has this bedding been compromised by the fuel? I am assuming I will need to remove the plate, clean the surrounding surface, and re-bed. I see no reference in the archives to anyone doing this - any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Rick
John Vigor

Need to rebed

Post by John Vigor »

Rick:

Was your boat out of the water when the fuel leak occurred? I presume it must have been. If there had been a leak around the bolts holding your grounding plate in place, you would have had water coming in, rather than diesel leaking out, if the boat was in the water.

But if diesel can get out now, then you will have a water leak when the boat goes back in. So yes, you'll need to remove the ground plate and rebed it. Remember to put some bedding compound beneath large washers on the bilge side, also.

And make sure that your new bedding will not be dissolved by diesel fuel. It sounds as if the old bedding was atacked by the fuel.

Cheers,

John V.