Super Shipbottom Hard Ablative Paint?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

marilou

Super Shipbottom Hard Ablative Paint?

Post by marilou »

Anyone have any experience with this paint?
Grumpy

Super Shipbottom

Post by Grumpy »

I used this paint on Liberty when she was in Ft Myers, FL and I really liked it. I thought it protected and lasted as well as the Petit products I had previously used. That area has pretty warm water and significant hard growth type fouling, and I got 2 years on a bottom job.
Grumpy - 'cause I'm not sailin'
Dan & Pat
Location: CD 25 #282: "Play it Again Sam" Fort Lauderdale, FL -

Great stuff too.

Post by Dan & Pat »

Oops! double submit :oops:
Last edited by Dan & Pat on Mar 9th, '07, 12:27, edited 2 times in total.
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.
Dan & Pat
Location: CD 25 #282: "Play it Again Sam" Fort Lauderdale, FL -

Great stuff too.

Post by Dan & Pat »

I've been an advocate of this paint for over 4 years now. I have put it on two powerboats, and am getting ready to apply it to Play it Again Sam in another month (or so).

My 23' Penn Yan (powerboat) was in a brackish water marina for over 2 years, and 14 months of that time it stayed in the water straight through. We're talking South Florida here folks where there are more marine organizms in the water than most other places. The average summer water temp is 85+ degrees in the canals from April through the middle of October. If anything can grow in that environment it will, and on most any surface. I used the boat about once a month. When she came out, a little bit of scrubbing with a 3M scruffy pad and a wash down with the gardent hose and the bottom was almost as clean as when it was applied. Boats all around me were coated with barnacales, mussels, and even oysters after only a few months in the water. I just had a thin coating of green algae, and that was only at the water line on the shady side of the boat that faced north most of the time.

This stuff is a hard surfaced ablative that goes over almost anything, coats thick, and is very durable even when the boat was beached a few times.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it - (and with SuperShipBottom paint)
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

hi marilou,
which do you need ?
bottom or top side paints ?
i have been selling paints for over 15 years or more, maybe i can help you.
i can tell you which one to use and how much to use and ever thing you need with it.
there are some bottom paints coming out that are much better than the old ones and will last for four or five years in salt water and six or seven in fresh water.
how long is your boat ?
winthrop
marilou

Post by marilou »

Thanks for the comments.

I have been using Petit Trinidad with good results on my CD270.
Have been dealing with her bottom since 1984. Boat kept in Southern Chesapeke Bay waters year round. I use about 1 1/2 Gallons when I paint. Usually buy 2 Gallons. Paint about every other year. With the cost of paints rising, I am looking at Super Ships Bottom Brand, it would save me $150.00. I prefer the hard finish of Trinidad, which gives me the option to use soft abalative without removing the old. The Super Ship Brand appears to be a combination hard & abalative, which appeals to me.

Was really looking for persons that have had experience with this paint.

http://www.supershipbottom.com
Mike
Location: Adagio is an Outbound 44 cruising in the Eastern Caribbean

Post by Mike »

I'm with Marilou, looking for more people who have used this paint. It takes 4 gallons to paint the bottom of Adagio which will be sailing New England this summer and the Caribbean next winter. I'm not a fan of sanding the bottom so I love ablative paints. One that would last more than 1 year and save me money is even better. I've posted on the Seven Seas Cruising Association (lots of Florida members) to see if anyone else has heard of this paint but so far no luck. I would love to hear from more users and I'm sure Marilou would too.

Mike
Mike and Merrie
s/v Adagio
http://www.sv-adagio.org
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Trnidad

Post by Jim Davis »

One thing you might try is to get Trinidad Pro, through a marina or someone that buys paint professionally. It is the same paint, but with a black and white label. Noticably less expensive.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
Jim Lewis

Trinidad

Post by Jim Lewis »

CD30K 2 gallons makes it three years in the salt with one wipe down first year, a couple the second, and 3 or more the third...
NC coast.....if haul every year use cheap.......
Jim Lewis
marilou

Trinidad?

Post by marilou »

Jim Lewis - Are you using Trinidad or Super Ship Bottom?

Jim Davis - What do you think the savings would be on the on the Trinidad Pro? West Lists it at $395.00 per Gallon - to the consumer/not the boatyard.
mahalocd36

Marilou, mike

Post by mahalocd36 »

How about some 4th or 5th hand information..? :-)

http://www.noreast.com/magazineIssues/a ... a=1187&p=1
(scroll about half way down)
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
Mike
Location: Adagio is an Outbound 44 cruising in the Eastern Caribbean

Post by Mike »

Melissa,

Thank you. This paint has me intrigued. It sounds like it might be just the thing for someone like us that will be cruising for several years.

Are you and Rich all set for moving the boat to Maine?

Mike
Mike and Merrie
s/v Adagio
http://www.sv-adagio.org
marilou

Post by marilou »

Carrying 20LB paint cans around a boat show. I would say that is a pretty strong recomendation! Thanks!