Robert, a boat for you

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Russell

Robert, a boat for you

Post by Russell »

I know your a real stickler for condition (rightly so) so have you seen this one yet?

<a href="http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... nt=">CLICK HERE for a CD26 listed at YachtWorld</a>

Granted, the price is a bit insane(ok seriously insane) for a CD25 (not D), but from the photos its pretty unbeleiveable how clean the boat is, it really does look new.

And yes, you can handle a 26! I want to see you with a boat sometime.

Webmaster wrote:Link modified by webmaster to control wraparound and scrolling.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Russell:

Good to hear from you :!:

I actually saw this CD26 when she was first posted on the yachtworld.com website, I think a few weeks ago.

The pictures of her show her to be very, very nice - bristol. I decided not to pursue her primarily because she is well beyond what "the Admiral" has allowed for me to budget for a sailboat. Given the significant improvements, upgrades, etc., it is very unlikely the owner would be willing to lower his/her price much, if at all.

Also, the cost to transport her from Maryland to Florida is an additional expense added to the initial high purchase cost.

I continue to search. "I want to see [me] with a boat [soon too]." :) I am considering a couple of CD 25Ds that are, unfortunately, out of the State of Florida. There is apparently a CD 22 here in South Florida that may be for sale. The owner is on an extended vacation.

I hope all is well with you and S/V Lady Pauline. I regularly check your website and have not seen anything posted new since last Sep/Oct 2006. Exactly where are you now? Have you quit smoking? How is Jasper (the first mate)?

Fair Winds,
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Russell

Post by Russell »

Personally, I think the boat would never sell at that price, even if in perfect condition. The owner may not be willing to budge, but 6 months later when no one has even made an offer near his price, and meanwhile he has spent a few thousand on slip, storage and insurance fees, he will come down in price. I would make contact, show yourself as an interested party, and keep contact, the price of this boat will go down, no doubt about that. And word of advice, I have met and been shown a few boats by this broker, Bernie, he is a real pushy fellow who will likely talk down to you due to lack of knowledge or prior ownership, be prepared for that.

As for transporting the boat, sail it! Its all ICW with no problems for this boat, no doubt many willing CDSOA member will volunteer to help. Annapolis to FL is no big deal, its less difficult then NY, MI or even LA.

But I am willing to bet this will be a boat that sits on the market for a year before it becomes reasonable, you will likely find you boat (I hope) before then. This one does look special though, and worth spending extra on, but not that much extra!

As for me, yeah, I havnt touched the current website in awhile, I have been slowly redoing it, but much of my free time to do such things has been spent working in the SSCA message board. I havnt quit smoking unfortunately and Jasper is good (though he will be happy to be relaunched wednesday, he hates living on the hard as much as I do).

Oh and I am still in Grenada, been here awhile now! Lovely country though, certainly one of the nicest in the eastern caribbean. Once relaunched it will be off to Martinique though, they are about to start the Cricket World Cup in the West Indies, so this islands population is going to increase by 25% overnight, primarily of drunken fools, so sitting out the World Cup in a french island where they could care less about Cricket sounds like a good plan to me.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
marilou

Robert A Boat For You!

Post by marilou »

Have you checked out the 25 up here in Norfolk. This appears to be a good canidate. Newer sails, maybe orignal family owner. Great location to get your feet wet. Do some sailing on the Bay, Visit the Jamestown 2007 Festival, take the intercoastal back to Florida (visit with the folks in Carolina). You would then have done something that a lot of people just dream about. By the time you get home you will have done a good shakedown and accumulated some good hours on YOUR boat.

I am with Russell. Find a boat - take the plunge. If you need any help/advice on this end, just let me know. Can help with moving the boat, surveyors, dockage, boat yards, etc.

Louis
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Hello Louis:

I guess I am not that good at searching on the Internet. I regularly check 5-6 different sites (Yachtworld, Boattrader Online, BoatQuest, American Boat Listings, iBoats, etc.) I checked again this morning after reading your post and do not see a listing for a CD 25 in the Norfolk area. Like I said, I am not very good with Internet searching. Can you point me in the right direction?

Candidly, I have sort of stayed away from the CD 25 for several reasons, probably none of them are very good. Despite the protestations of my friend Russell and many others, I continue to believe that a 25, whether a CD 25 or a CD 25D or a "brand x" 25 is too much hull and sail for a "newbie" like me. Second, if I am going to risk sailing a 25, the Admiral has been "firm" in her position that it be a CD 25D. Many months ago she saw the cabin layout of the CD 25D with the comparatively large head area in the v-berth and decided that's what she wanted. Obviously, if I get my way and can find a CD 22 or Ty Weekender in very good to excellent condition (I have limited mechanical and restoration skills), the Admiral will have to adjust to a porta potty.

Third, I know that I know very little about sailboats, sailing characters, drag, etc. However, I am uncomfortable having an O/B motor in a well at the stern that I cannot lift/angle out of the water, especially since the best I can hope for is a mooring ball in a very crowded mooring at a local sailing club (if they have any mooring balls available when I finally get my CD). With all the electricity in the water from surrounding boats, plus the natural corrosion of salt water, etc., the O/B will not do well - in my limited judgment, even with the judicial use of sacrificial zinc.

So, long story short, I did look at one CD 25 at Lake Lanier, Georgia about 18 months ago. Other than that, I have shyed away from looking at them for the above reasons, the Admiral's wishes obviously being at the top of the list. :)

All that said, is the CD 25 listed on a "boats for sale" website? If so which one? I cannot find it.

Thanks, and Fair Winds,
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
marilou

Duh?

Post by marilou »

Look on the Buy/Sell Section of the Cape Dory Board...I posted message re: to Craigs List (my link is bad)...contacted the owner...he posted the boat on the Board...do you have a short list...
Paul Grecay
Lewes, Delaware

Hindsight

Post by Paul Grecay »

I bought my CD 28 for ten thousand....it looked good and I am very happy with it. In hindsight, I would pay more and avoid having to do the work. I rebuilt the engine (MD2B) and eventually repowered. I replaced standing rigging. I replaced the sails. I had some work done on the hull. Upgraded sanitation. Replaced fuel tanks...replaced anchor...installed new ports with bronze (mine were the cheap plastic ones), upgraded the electronics, the list goes on and on. Did I save money? definitely not. The good part was I did all the work myself so I know my boat quite well. But unless one is willing and capable of alot of work, don't be cowed by the price because you will pay more in the end anyway. Project boats are fun and you can learn alot but do you save alot of money...not as much as you might think. Would I buy a project boat again? Never....not at my age. So I will give you the advice my best friend gave me when I was boat shopping. He is financially very savvy so I trust his opinion and asked him what I should spend. He said "Let me think about it and call you back".... an hour later he called and said "Paul, I think you should spend every penny you have on a boat".
If it's in your blood, can you do otherwise?
Clay Stalker

Resale

Post by Clay Stalker »

Robert:

One bit of advice....whatever you buy, make sure that the resale value is good. Because if you get the fever (sounds like your temperature is already on the way up!!) you will be wanting to move up in size, and Cape Dory is an excellent boat to do this with. That 26 is priced way too high, and you would never get your $$ back on it. Best to buy something solid that looks a bit rough (you can take your time fixing it up) and you can sell for what you have in it or more. Some say this doesn't work, but it does. If you buy at the top of the market, it's possible to maintain, but more than likely the value will go down....
Clay Stalker
Westmoreland, NH and Spofford Lake, NH
Sea Hunt

Post by Sea Hunt »

Louis:

Thank you. I found it :!: I think the link is:

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/284358849.html

I have always been leary of eBay, Craigs List, etc. I honestly never really check these sites. I guess I should.

I may reach out to the owner. However, I still have my reservations about a CD 25 (O/B). My "short list" is in order of preference:

1. CD 22. The O/B is attached to the stern and can be lifted/angled out of the water while at the mooring or while sailing. The sail area of the CD 22 (240 sq ft.) is, in my judgment, manageable single handing at my "newbie" level.

2. CD Typhoon Weekender. Again, with O/B attached to the stern and lifted/angled out of the water while at the mooring or while sailing. The sail area of the CD Ty (155 sq ft.) is, in my judgment, again manageable single handing at my "newbie" level.

3. CD 25D. While the sail area is 304 sq. ft., and I think too much sail and hull for me to have as my first sailboat, the strong attraction is the cabin configuration - which the Admiral likes a lot - large enclosed head with sink forward and standing head room in the galley.

4. CD 27. The LOA and sail area (365 sq ft) are, in my judgment, just too much for me at my level. I have looked at three CD 27s, all very nice, one was even here in Miami. I am just leary of the size. I also looked at one on Lake Hartwell in S.C. that was absolutely immaculate.

Paul, your financial advisor/friend is probably right. However, the concept of "spend every penny you have on a boat" is a concept very foreign to the Admiral. I am a retired government "servant" and live on a pension. The Admiral has graciously allowed me to invest in a sailboat (mostly to keep me out the house during the day :) ). However, she has given me a pretty strict budget. The budget takes into account the "necessities" of hair saloon, nails, pedicures, manicures, new clothes every month, and only God knows what else that I know nothing about. :cry:

The "sailboat budget" has to allow for purchase price, survey, transport (if not in South Florida), commissioning & launching, and the purchase of all necessary and missing USCG equipment, etc.

Russell, the ICW is a great idea. I thought of it when I was looking at a beautiful 1985 CD 25D (Hull No. 184) almost two years ago (June 2005) in St. Augustine (now owned by CD member whose CDSOA moniker I cannot remember at the moment). However, given my sailing experience (Biscayne Bay in winds less than 20 knots with other crew on board who actually know what they are doing) I decided against attempting an ICW trip as my first sailing experience. With the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, I was a fool not to have bought that CD 25D and paid for a transport. I was near the beginning of my CD hunting saga and had no idea that I had found a diamond. She was sold to someone who owned her less than 18 months and then sold her to her current owner.

I also looked at a CD 25 in Lighthouse Pt. last year. The owner, Ron Brassord) (a CDSOA member I think) was very knowledgeable and had done an excellent job of refurbishing this CD 25. He was also very gracious with his time and experience in talking with me about his CD 25. I should have "pulled the trigger" but did not -again because of my concern about size and the Admiral's desire for the forward head. In hindsight, probably yet another mistake in a long list of mistakes.

All that said, I am confident people on this board are very tired of reading about my "tales of woe". :(

The phrase "get off your arse and do it" comes to mind. :wink:
Last edited by Sea Hunt on Feb 27th, '07, 14:31, edited 1 time in total.
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
Derek Matheson

New first boat

Post by Derek Matheson »

Sea Hunt:

Don't worry, be happy. My first boat was a sailboard, and the second is a CD28, acquired last August. I have crewed on an Alberg 30, and that's about the level of my experience. I went to a 1 day docking course at the Maryland Scool of Sailing (backing an Island Packet 35 is no fun either) and then a 4 day ASA101, 103,104 course as well.

So the maiden voyage should have been easy, right? Well, with the whole family plus 4 experienced crew aboard, I started the old Volvo and we proceeded very slowly into the fairway with (it seems) half the marina plus the picnic crowd at the restuarant watching. I cranked the wheel hard over to the right and goosed the throttle, just like I learned in scool. Well, the boat just spun left (remember to untie the spring lines!), but we recovered and made it into the Chesapeake, against a 20 knot headwind, with black smoke pouring out of the exhaust, and making about 2 knots. Turns out that the prop was severely barnacled and that most of the hp was going to making the suckers dizzy.

Long and short of it was that we never did raise any sail that day, as my nerves were shot at that point. But the beer I had at the dock was (one) of the best I've ever tasted. Yay for Fosters!

So my advice is buy a bigger boat. I got over my fears somewhat, and we now go out with just me, my wife and the kids and put up all kinds of sail and have a great time. If the wind starts to howl, we drop the sails and motor back. Nothing better than seeing the smile on the face of the 10 year old at the helm.
Drew

Price

Post by Drew »

Russell/Sea Hunt:

Just FYI, the CD 26 in question was originally listed by a different broker (run by the Marina in which it lies, Hartge's) for 25K. I thought that was a little rich. Only afterwords was it re-listed by a different, Annapolis-based brokerage for 30K.

Maybe boat brokers are becoming more like real estate agents? Product doesn't sell? Raise the price!

Heaven help us.
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Post by Zeida »

Robert: check out this link:
http://picasaweb.google.com/gkashby/B24 ... 8018410514

It is a 1976 Bristol 24. I almost bought this boat before getting my first Cd-25. Extremely easy to sail, a very simple boat, just a tad bigger than the Cd-22, but has the "feel" of "more" boat than the Typhoons, which I'm SURE your Admiral will appreciate. At $4K Can't beat the price either. Saw the ad in Good Old Boat March issue.
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Sea Hunt

Post by Sea Hunt »

Zeida:

Thanks!!! I just received my March 2007 issue of Good Old Boat and have not had time to go through it. The ad for the Bristol 24 (on page 63) has a lot of good info, contact information, etc. I will send the owner an email although my "true love" is a Cape Dory. I cannot explain. I just know it. The pictures of the Bristol 24 show her to have similar lines to a Cape Dory. Perhaps I will have to start with something other than a Cape Dory and earn the right to own a Cape Dory at some time in the future. :(

When you say you "almost bought this boat", do mean this exact boat or a similar Bristol 24 :?:

Do you have a date/location set yet for the Florida Fleet meeting :?:

Fair Winds,
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097
Bob Luby

Robert - I know I'm biased, but....

Post by Bob Luby »

As you may know, I own a CD25D which I am trying to sell.

That said, given what your admiral wants, the 25D would make a good first boat, because it is heavy, seakindly, comfortable, and not terribly tender. These will make it a forgiving boat to learn in, because things will happen **a bit** more slowly than they would in a lighter vessel. Then why not start with a CD30 or even a 36? Well, If you get much bigger than 25 feet, sails get big enough so that you HAVE to use the winches, to run the boat. On a smaller boat, you have winches, but if you are strong enough, they are sort of a convenience, particularly in light air.

My 25d was my first boat. Now admittedly, I had sailed in a sunfish a lot when I was a kid, so I wasn't a total novice (I learned to enjoy heeling).

A heavy, seakindly boat will be safer for you and her to learn on.

Just my 2 Cents.
________
Vaporite Solo Vaporizer
________
Volcano vaporizers
Last edited by Bob Luby on Feb 14th, '11, 10:30, edited 2 times in total.
Sea Hunt

Post by Sea Hunt »

Why are all of the posts on this thread so very wide :?: I have a 19" monitor and I have to scroll from left to right just to read each line.

Can any of the monitors-Bob Dugan, Barfwinkle, Cathy Monaghan, etc. correct this?

Although I am a true computer dummy, I am nevertheless going to take a wild guess and suggest it is solely the fault of my good friend Russell who started this thread :) :wink: He posted a connection to a website that was very, very long and now the thread can't get back to it's normal width. As Judge Seidlin kept saying, with emphasis, in the Anna Nicole Smith saga: Am I right, am I right :?: :?:

By the way, Russell, glad you are back in the water. You must have amazing patience to go through what you went through with the prop shaft, etc. After the second screw up I would have said "It's Miller Time" :D
Fair winds,

Robert

CDSOA #1097