Removing plastic ports - CD 25

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

s calder

Removing plastic ports - CD 25

Post by s calder »

I'm replacing the forward 4 plastic ports on my '77 CD 25 with original Spartan opening bronze ports. Has anyone removed the plastic ports who can give me a heads-up on what to expect. The inner finish ring on the plastic ones is screwed in place but the body of the plastic port appears to install from the outside without screws. Are they glued in place? Does anyone know what with? How do you get them out? Any suggestions on what to caulk the Spartan ports with...especially around the outside of the spigot where the spigot abuts the cabin wall [inside the finish ring]. Thanks.
S. Calder sv Falcon
eschlein

77 ports

Post by eschlein »

Hi,

The ports on the '77 were originally plastic. They switched to bronze in the late models (can't recall the year/s), and I'm pretty sure the late model bronze ports are not the same size as the plastic ports on the '77. Before dismantling, if you haven't already, verify that you can get the correct size bronze ports.

best,
Erik Schlein
best,
Erik Schlein
rmcmanus

Replacing Plastic Ports

Post by rmcmanus »

I believe the plastic ports on my 28 had screws on the outside. I could not find the right fit with Spartan and used New Found Metals.

You are likely to find that the space between the cabin and liner is filled with odd pieces of plywood near the opening for the port. I glassed these in to strengthen the area and reduce the opportunty for leaks. If you glass the openings, be sure they are even around the circumferance so as not to complicate port installation.

Roger McManus