Boston Harbor Island Regatta 2007

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Save the date: September 29, 2007.

Last year, we were the only classic class... three Cape Dory 28's. Let's go for more this year... 25's, 30's, etc., also.

There's a good anchorage near the start and my plan is to spend Friday night in the cove at Peddock's Island with as many other Cape Dorys as can join us.

More details to follow as they become available during the season. In the meantime, questions, comments, whatever are welcome.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Mark Yashinsky
Second Chance

Talk about getting ready for the sailing season!

Post by Mark Yashinsky »

Question Neil, last October, were you already getting ready to get Liquidity back in the water?
Talk about being proactive!
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Talk about getting ready for the sailing season!

Post by Neil Gordon »

Mark Yashinsky wrote:Question Neil, last October, were you already getting ready to get Liquidity back in the water?
Talk about being proactive!
I've had my 2007 launch date on my calendar since before I hauled out for 2006.

The reason for the post though is that (i) people really do plan summer vacations and book up their calendars, sailing and otherwise and (ii) I had lunch today with a board member from the Boston Harbor Island Alliance. By the way, they're looking for a $50,000 sponsor if anyone is interested.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Steve Laume

Crew

Post by Steve Laume »

Don't let him fool you. I think Neil is just trying to line up a ringer crew before anyone else snaps them up for that race, Steve.
Neil Gordon

Re: Crew

Post by Neil Gordon »

Steve Laume wrote:Don't let him fool you. I think Neil is just trying to line up a ringer crew before anyone else snaps them up for that race, Steve.
My crew looked pretty good last year. But for 2007 we're thinking matching outfits will add about half a knot of speed (based on observation of last year's competition).
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Steve Laume

Looking good and sailing dogs

Post by Steve Laume »

The outfits sound like a very good idea. If you look good enough you don't have to place well. Better work on training the dogs to hang over the weather rail. In the event of heavy weather, you can't have too many dogs, Steve.
Mark Yashinsky
Second Chance

Dare I ask about these "matching outfits?

Post by Mark Yashinsky »

Like what they may look like?

Certain posters on this board may have some radical ideas.
ronkberg

Post by ronkberg »

Neil, I am marking my calendar and want all to know that I am available for crew. I now live in Maine so have to plan my Boston trip long in advance such that I have a place to rest before/after the regatta.......need all of my energy and focus to help pull off ANOTHER win in 2007.

Oh, BTW, did I mention being one of the crew members on the winning CD28 in 2006?

My crewing salary will remain the same as last year but I [i]may[/i] consider an increase if I am aboard the winner in 2007.

Oh, BTW, did I mention being one of the crew members on the winning CD28 in 2006?

I can hardly await the September regatta and hope to uncover other crew opportunities during the summer to hone my skills. Not many regattas in Saco Bay, but I hope to be more competitive against a 24' KittyWake who blew my doors off many times last year. Must have been the skipper's skill....or maybe he was adding speed with an electric motor.

Anyway, I am available and hopeful that I can score a place on one of the Cape Dories who participate in 2007.

Regards, Ron

PS......did I mention being one of the crew members on the winning CD28 in 2006?
Neil Gordon

Re: Boston Harbor Island Regatta 2007

Post by Neil Gordon »

ronkberg wrote:Neil, I am marking my calendar and want all to know that I am available for crew.
It's early in the planning stage, but I think my main peanut butter and jelly sandwich maker from the 2006 race might have a reunion that weekend. That might suggest I have an opening.

By the way, how did you make out crewing in last year's regatta?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Carl Thunberg

Any CD25s wanna give it a shot?

Post by Carl Thunberg »

If two other CD25s will throw their hats in the ring, I'll make the trip down. Any takers??? This would be my first trip in these waters, so I could use some local crew if and when the time comes. I'd rather be concentrating on racing, than navigating and trying to figure out where the heck I am on the chart.

Oh, and did I mention I've never crewed this race? :wink:
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Neil Gordon

Re: Any CD25s wanna give it a shot?

Post by Neil Gordon »

Carl Thunberg wrote:If two other CD25s will throw their hats in the ring, I'll make the trip down. Any takers??? This would be my first trip in these waters, so I could use some local crew if and when the time comes. I'd rather be concentrating on racing, than navigating and trying to figure out where the heck I am on the chart.
Carl,

I'm pretty sure that if there are three boats in a class, I can negotiate a first place trophy out of the organizers. Officially, five boats were advertised for class status last year, but they caved in for our three 28s.

Local knowledge can't hurt, but the course overall is fairly safe and well marked for hazards, including a Sea Tow boat that sits just about on top of an otherwise unmarked ledge for the race.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Appleton68

Unmarked Ledge

Post by Appleton68 »

Where is the unmarked ledge in relation to some geographical location, not GPS position? TY
Greg
John Ring

What fun would it be if it were marked?

Post by John Ring »

What fun would the race be if the unmarked ledges were marked? How else is the CD28 fleet to hold off the Aerodyne 43 again? The fact that we don't have 60' mast is only offset by the fact that we don't have an 8' keel either ;)

Best,
John Ring
CD28 Tantalus
Mark Yashinsky
Second Chance

Where might this "unmarked" ledge be, and

Post by Mark Yashinsky »

are other ledges in Boston Harbor?
Neil Gordon

Re: What fun would it be if it were marked?

Post by Neil Gordon »

John Ring wrote:What fun would the race be if the unmarked ledges were marked? How else is the CD28 fleet to hold off the Aerodyne 43 again? The fact that we don't have 60' mast is only offset by the fact that we don't have an 8' keel either ;)

Best,
John Ring
CD28 Tantalus
I don't mind the unmarkes six foot spots... it's the three foot ones!
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698