Outboards!

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Lew Gresham

Outboards!

Post by Lew Gresham »

Does anyone who owns a Typhoon remove their outboard motor once underway sailing. Thanks!

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p52/ ... yphoon.jpg
Weekender
hull #914
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Outboards

Post by Oswego John »

I don't think that the word that I am looking for is *Lazy*. It is better for me to say that when I sail, I'm not in any hurry to get anywhere. I want to relish the moment for as long as possible. For that reason, for want of a better motive, I sail with the motor in the water.

I sail a Ty Weekender. I have a 5 HP Mercury hung on the transom. Why a 5 HP? At the time that I bought it, it was the smallesr motor I could find that had F-N-R. I didn't want to reach far outboard spinning a smaller motor 180° in order to back out.

I don't find that when I leave the prop down while sailing, it affects performance much. I don't sail competitively. During the week, when I'm away from the boat, I pivot the motor up tp avoid marine growth and any possible electrolysis.

Other than any drag when down, I see no advantage in removing the motor while sailing. Other than considering any leverage, it still weighs the same no matter where it is placed on the boat. There is a hazard involved of losing the motor overboard while setting or removing the motor while sailing. It's not worth the hassle for me.

I could be wrong in my thinking, but since my Ty was produced with an outboard bracket installed on the stern decking, I feel that the boat's overall design was developed under the premise of including the weight of an outboard motor. To go a little farther, when the boat first came out in the late 1960s, outboard motors weren't as light in weight as they now are.

And finally: No, I don't leave my motor in reverse. :D

Have a nice Super Bowl weekend,
O J
s-dupuis

location - location - location

Post by s-dupuis »

I think that where you sail has a bearing (excuse the pun) on how to answer that question. Also, do you mean tilting the motor up or removing it completely?

On a lake with no tides or currents, such as where I sail, I'll sail to and from the mooring or dock, often leaving the OB ashore. I hate the noise, the smell and the looks of the thing. I only bring it along (tipped up and raised on a folding mount) if I think the wind may die altogether. I pride myself on being able to approach the dock under sail in all conditions. I can't tell you how many times fellow 'experienced' sailors have come running down the dock to 'catch' me as I gently slide up to the dock and step off the boat with dock lines in hand. It takes practice and knowing your boat well.

With that said, sailing where tides and currents are in competition with the wind direction, it's probably a good idea to have the motor ready to go in the event of an emergency, particularly in a crowded anchorage or mooring field or when approaching a dock. However, I would still advocate learning to do it all under sail whenever possible. What if the motor dies at a critical moment?

Of course there are other factors to consider. As OJ mentioned, performance may be important to you. If you race you'll want the motor out of the water. Do you have electronics that discharge the battery and need to recharge often? Do rough seas make it dangerous to crawl over the transom to raise and lower the motor?
I understand that most Typhoons have a removable bracket and that the tilt mechanism built into most OB's may not work well with this configuration.

Once you've considered these questions you'll be able to decide what is best for you.

Steve
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

Running a motor in reverse on Typhoon

Post by RIKanaka »

I'm curious, OJ, as to what measures you take to prevent the outboard from kicking up when running it in reverse. I'm assuming that you have one of the original deck mounted, pivoting outboard brackets made by Spartan or Handy, and not a transom mounted bracket. I've found with my 2hp Honda OB that any attempts to run at any meaningful amount of throttle result in the the entire motor and bracket pivoting on the deck mount plate and propellor trying to act as a helicopter blade (I guess that would counteract the extra weight on the transom but does nothing to provide any reverse thrust).
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
Mike Pinto

outboard

Post by Mike Pinto »

I removed the original tilt bracket and replaced it with an EDSON removable bracket which mounts on the transom. It cleaned up the aft deck area and when removing the engine the bracket remains attached to the engine. The only evidence left is a small bronze bracket thru bolted onto the transom. Very clean lines to the boat without all that deck clutter. A small length of line and snap shackle are my insurance that it doesn't go for a swim, attached to the backstay turnbuckle. Mike
Mike Pinto

outboard

Post by Mike Pinto »

I removed the original tilt bracket and replaced it with an EDSON removable bracket which mounts on the transom. It cleaned up the aft deck area and when removing the engine the bracket remains attached to the engine. The only evidence left is a small bronze bracket thru bolted onto the transom. Very clean lines to the boat without all that deck clutter. A small length of line and snap shackle are my insurance that it doesn't go for a swim, attached to the backstay turnbuckle. Mike
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Outboard Motor

Post by Oswego John »

Pakehaole, Aloha

Hmmm, that's a good point which I have never given any thought to.

My motor mount is deck mounted, pivot type, to be sure. The original issue.

I do remember once, many years ago that it did kick up in reverse. I had just bought the motor new and I was unfamiliar with it.

My son pointed out that I didn't secure the safety clip to prevent the shaft from kicking up. I have to undo this same clip in order to pivot the shaft up out of the water.

Upon deeper thought, whether this safety snap is hooked or not, it would be possible for the entire assembly to kick up with the deck, pivot type motor mount.

I'm sure that my engine weighs a bit more than yours. I would have to rev it up fairly high in reverse for it to overcome the weight and kick up, but I can see how it is possible for it to happen.

When in reverse, I'm generally just creeping back out of my slip and haven't given the problem much thought.

Besr regards,
Aloha
O J
gkempin
Sloop rigged, BMW D7 diesel

Typhoon outboard

Post by gkempin »

I used to own a Typhoon a while back

I had a 3 hp seagull motor which I stored inside, also stored the removable bracket.

I sailed off a mooring and rarely needed the motor. Perhaps 2 or 3 times in the season. Of course my daily destinations were subject to the wind and you must have time.

The downside was that because i used the motor so little, it very often didn't work when I needed it.

Gunther
Long Island Sound
Pete S

Ty motor

Post by Pete S »

I haven't removed mine but I'm thinking of a way to secure it better. There have been a few occasions where the pounding has concerned me with the standard Ty bracket. I've been thinking of securing it thru the deck with some sort of shock absorbing rubber between the bracket and the deck.
Baysailer

Post by Baysailer »

I remove my motor whenever its not in use. No real reason why other than I don't like the looks of it hanging out there. I sail a Rhodes 19 so its similar in size as a TY. The motors a 6HP Johnson, way more than needed but I've had it forever and its always worked when I need it so it stays.

Fred
Christian Sava
Typhoon weekender (1973) #506
Newburyport, MA

Post by Christian Sava »

I don't actually remove it under sail, but do take it off the mount and store it down below after each sail. I've got a 2006 Tohatsu 3.5hp long shaft that is relatively light. I just tilt it up fully while underway and it has never posed any problems. I suppose if the wind was strong enough and clear of the very busy mooring field and strong current I could store it down below while underway.
Dan & Chris
2007 Melonseed Skiff "Sprout"
Linekin Bay, ME

Post by Dan & Chris »

Christian Sava wrote:I've got a 2006 Tohatsu 3.5hp long shaft that is relatively light.
Christian,

That's the outboard that we've tentatively selected for the Typhoon daysailor that we purchased last fall. Can you provide any info on how satisfied you are with it? Also, my understanding is that there is no reverse on this model; if so, has that been any problem? Thanks!

Dan
RIKanaka
Location: 1988 CD26 #73 "Moku Ahi" (Fireboat), Dutch Harbor, RI

reverse on tohatsu/nissan

Post by RIKanaka »

Turning the tiller 180 degrees results in reverse.
Aloha,

Bob Chinn
Lew Gresham

Post by Lew Gresham »

Did anyone have the Sea Gull motor come with their Typhoon when it was commissioned new? If so, what was, or what is the HP you have. My 5 1/2 HP Sea Gull came with the boat in 74 from the dealer. The PO I purchased the boat from had the motor in it's original wooden crate which is where it's stored now. The motor runs great and is like new. It's never been in salt water.
They say the Sea Gull motors have Tug Boat like power but not much speed. It does have quite a dandy sound also.
Weekender
hull #914
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Nissan/Tohatsu

Post by Jim Davis »

Are the same engine, different decal. My wife has the 3.5 long shaft on her Ty Daysailor and it works well. As stated the reverse is by rotating the engine. For most of her sailing, she leaves it down. In port, she tips it up out of the water. Use a cable or chain to lock it to the boat - not all kids are trustworthy.

It is also light enough that she can pull it to change the shear pin. This is the one weak point on it. Be sure it is at dead slow idle before engaging the clutch!
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei