Question for 1983 model year owners.

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Tommy Wade

Question for 1983 model year owners.

Post by Tommy Wade »

Did your boat come with the aluminum backing plates or the rusty steel ones? Specifically interested in hearing from CD 28 owners out there. Thanks in advance.

Tommy
marilou

Post by marilou »

My 1984 Cape Dory 270 ( Hull # 1) has aluminum backing plates.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

1984 model year built late 1983 has aluminium backing plates, Steve.
Anthony P. Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS

Backing Plates

Post by Anthony P. Jeske »

My 1984 CD-28, hull #365, sadly has rusty steel.
Tony Jeske
Lew Gresham

Trojan Blog Caution!!!!!!!

Post by Lew Gresham »

Caution!!!!!!
Stay away from the recent post regarding "amazing Videos". This is a trojan blog!
Weekender
hull #914
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Removal of malware from your computer...

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi Lew,
Lew Gresham wrote:Caution!!!!!!
Stay away from the recent post regarding "amazing Videos". This is a trojan blog!
The posts (there were actually a whole bunch of them) regarding "amazing videos" have been deleted and the user's account has been deleted as well.

The message board's administrators and moderators are not online 24 hours a day, so we rely on you, the users of this message board, to contact us when you see inappropriate posts. So, please inform us immediately when you see something that requires our attention. We are:
  • Catherine Monaghan, CDSOA Webmaster -- Username: Cathy Monaghan
    Walt Bilofsky, Assistant Webmaster -- Username: bilofsky
    Bob Dugan, Data Webmeister & Moderator -- Username: bobdugan
    Bill Slater, Moderator -- Username: barfwinkle
Just click on one of our Usernames, then click on the "email" or "pm" button to send a note. Or contact me at webmaster@capedory.org

If you were unfortunate enough to have clicked on the "amazing videos" link, your computer is now infected with a variation of the Trojan.Emcoded.E, most probably Zlob.Media-Codec which is considered "malware".

Trojan-Downloader.Zlob.Media-Codec is a program that typically purports to be a needed upgrade to Windows Media Player in order to view adult oriented videos on certain websites. However, Trojan-Downloader.Zlob.Media-Codec actually downloads and installs additional malware on the user's machine.

Trojan-Downloader.Zlob.Media-Codec often silently downloads and installs rogue security programs such as SpywareQuake, SpyFalcon and WinAntivirusPro, but may install other malware as well. Some variants of Trojan-Downloader.Zlob.Media-Codec have backdoor functionality, giving a remote attacker the ability to control and use the infected machine for malicious purposes.

You'll find additional information on Symantec's web site -- CLICK HERE -- as well as removal instructions.

The easiest and fastest way to remove it from your computer is to download and run the "SmitfraudFix.exe" program available at:

http://siri.urz.free.fr/Fix/SmitfraudFix_En.php

BE SURE TO PRINT THE WEB PAGE (at the URL provided above) OF INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE ACTUALLY RUNNING THE PROGRAM TO CLEAN UP YOUR PC. Use the program at your own risk, neither I nor the CDSOA are responsible for the program, the results of using the program, or your computer.

Thanks,
Cathy
CDSOA Webmaster
Lew Gresham

Well Done Ms. Cathy!

Post by Lew Gresham »

Yep, it got me as I mentioned in my PM to you. Spent sometime getting my machine cleaned.....Glad I found it on the forum and hope it saved someone the trouble.
Weekender
hull #914
Joe Montana
Member 781

Mac's too?

Post by Joe Montana »

Would this affect an Apple computer, too?
David Hest

Probably not

Post by David Hest »

My guess is that a Mac wouldn't be affected by this Trojan. Others with a technical background may want to pitch in with details, or a more well-informed answer, but it is my general understanding that Trojans and viruses are written for specific operating systems -- in this case Windows, and not the Mac OS. Given Mac computers' paltry market share, hackers have focused their attention mostly on PCs to date. Knock on wood.

David
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Re: Mac's too? -- Nope!

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Antares wrote:Would this affect an Apple computer, too?
Nope!

The following systems are effected: Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP. For additional information, please visit Symantec's web site -- CLICK HERE.

Cathy
CDSOA Webmaster