Barritt's Ginger Beer

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

barfwinkle

Barritt's Ginger Beer

Post by barfwinkle »

I hope everyone is looking forward to an enjoyable and safe New Year's celebration, BUT I have a serious question for those brethern in more "populated" parts of this great nation!

I have searched the web, to include Barritt's own web site, looking for a source for "mail order" Barritt's Ginger Beer all to no avail....
Hence my request!

If any one reading this board would be so kind as to find me "ANY QUANTITY (SO TO SPEAK)" of Barritt's Ginger Beer and make arrangements to send me some, I would be MORE than glad to pay you for your efforts!!!!

Just let me know and I'll give you a shipping address and send the money in advance.

Happy New Year
Bill Member #250.
Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

Try This Link for Barritts

Post by Parfait's Provider »

Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
barfwinkle

Thanks But

Post by barfwinkle »

I have already been there and of the links listed none of them have the nectar in stock!

Happy New Year Ken
Bill Member #250.
Ron Turner
Oriental, NC

Substitute

Post by Ron Turner »

Stewarts GB works for me. Most of the rest don't. Last time I got Bariets? it was packaged at the "red dot" store with BlackSeal rum.
Ron Turner
barfwinkle

I agree

Post by barfwinkle »

about the Stewarts, but even that is difficult to find in our little corner of the globe.

I too found it (Barritt's) at the local "red dot" last year packaged along with the elixir of preference. So I stocked up and gave numerous packages away as gifts. In fact just last night I drank the last can (appropriately mixed with Black Seal of course). However, the gift packages this year contained a small, albeit tasty, Rum Cake. Damn the Luck!

Anyway, Happy New Year. :D
Bill Member #250.
John Vigor

DIY ginger beer

Post by John Vigor »

If it's hard to find, why not brew your own ginger beer? I made my own supplies for many years, and it was an exciting time of my life, feeding a lusty little yeast "plant" every day and dodging exploding ginger beer bottles.

Here's the original English recipe I used, culled from a newspaper:

Start the ginger beer "plant" in a jam jar with half a cake of yeast, 2 teaspoons each of ground ginger and sugar and 2 cups water. Every day for a week add a level teaspoon each of ground ginger and sugar. At the end of the week strain through a cloth and dilute the liquid thus obtained with about 14 cups of cold water.
Make a syrup of 4 cups boiling water and 3 cups sugar, plus the juice of a lemon. Stir well and add, still stirring, to the strained ginger liquid. Fill bottles with this up to 3 inches from the top and screw or cork securely. Leave to stand for a week before using.
The sediment left in the cloth after straining is the "plant" which continues to double itself each week. Put each half of this immediately into separate jars and add 2 level teaspoons each of ground ginger and sugar and 2 cups water. Continue to feed these plants daily with ground ginger and sugar for a week.

You will find it safer to bottle your brew in used plastic Coke bottles. If you accidentally use too much sugar, and the pressure builds up too much, the bottle will simply elongate instead of exploding violently as happens with glass bottles.

There are simpler recipes, but none as tasty as this one, nor half as much fun to make.

Cheers,

John V.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi Bill,

Barritt's is nearly impossible to find in local stores but you can get it online. CLICK HERE to order it online at $.99 per 12 oz. bottle!

You can usually only get Barritt's in a store if you purchase a gift pack of Black Seal and then you only get 2 cans. BUT, you can ask the folks at your local liquor or ABC store to order it for you. They may not do it, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

If you're willing to use other brands of ginger beer (I think some of the others are better than Barritt's) Stewart's, Goya's or Reed's ginger beers are good choices and you may be able to find one of them locally. If not CLICK HERE.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Steve Laume

Highly carbonated bevreges

Post by Steve Laume »

I made a few batches of root beer when I was in high school . I don't think we had any bottles that ever exploded but you had to crack the caps about 15 MIN before you fully opened the bottle to bleed off the carbonation. It was great fun to hand a bottle to a buddy and let him take a great swig only to find that there was no way to hold it all once it expanded. We have a local soda company that makes a nice hot ginger beer.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hey Bill,

I just got back from the A&P (supermarket) and they had the Goya Ginger Beer in stock. Let me know if you want any.

By the way, if you're looking for the Goya Ginger Beer in your supermarket, you won't find it in the same aisle with all of the other soda pop. It's usually stocked in the aisle with all of the other Goya products -- usually in the same aisle as the condiments and salad dressings.

If your local supermarket doesn't carry Goya products, you can order Goya Ginger Beer from their online store. It's cheaper than Barritt's. Anyway, CLICK HERE.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
marilou

Ginger Beer Sources

Post by marilou »

In addition to the two Cathy mentioned above.

beveragewarehouse.com
beveragesdirect.com

If you Google for it, you should be able to come up with more vendors.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Mike
Location: Adagio is an Outbound 44 cruising in the Eastern Caribbean

Post by Mike »

Bill,

We will see if we can get you some here on the cape and send it to you...might even include a little Wasabi for Sandra. Can you ship to a P.O. Box? Send me a PM with a good ship to address.

Of course we both know that there is a little corner store not far from the dingy dock in St George where it's available. In fact I understand that it comes in 2 liter bottles now. Might it be worth another Gulf Stream adventure.

Happy New Year
Mike & Merrie
Mike and Merrie
s/v Adagio
http://www.sv-adagio.org
barfwinkle

INDEED

Post by barfwinkle »

I was thinking that very same thing. Hell I just might have to go back and bring it home by the case!

Thanks Mike and Look for the PM.

Happy new year to you and Merrie, and everyone else on the board.
Bill Member #250.