Deck/Steaming Light removal on a 25D

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

car1260

Deck/Steaming Light removal on a 25D

Post by car1260 »

Does anyone know how to remove the deck/steaming light from the mast of a 25D? There are no visible screws or rivets. I am hoping to remove the light and get access to the "slapping" wires in the mast & either foam them in or drop styrofoam peanuts down from there & also under the cap on the top of the mast. Any help be greatly appreciated!
Happy Holidays everyone!
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Mine was attached with a couple of screws. I re-wired the entire mast three years ago, and it was a pretty straight forward trick.

Good Luck
Bill Member #250.
Bob Luby

Slap-Happy Mast.

Post by Bob Luby »

Why not fix it once and for all?

Put in some PVC Pipe as a wiring conduit. You can rivet it to the side of the mast and cut a hole in the proper place so wires can leave it on their way to the steaming light. You can also string a messenger line so adding the next wire will be easy.
________
Volcano digital
________
TOP PENNY STOCKS
Last edited by Bob Luby on Feb 14th, '11, 10:29, edited 2 times in total.
barfwinkle

Another Method

Post by barfwinkle »

would be to use sail slugs and use wire ties to secure the wires to the slugs. At least on Rhapsody, the mast has an internal grove for the slugs. Worked/works great.

Bob, do you still have Grendel? HAve you found your next boat?

Have a Merry and a Happy.
Bill Member #250.
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Use wire ties. Use 3 every couple of feet or so around the wire bundle. Leave the tails long and have them come off the wire bundle at 120, 240 and 360 degrees.

The tails brace against the walls inside the mast, keeping the wires nicely in the center = no more wire slap.

I had a terrible problem with that about 4 years ago. Did the wire tie thing with the wires out of the mast and then just ran the wires back up, with the ties in place.

AH! GLORIOUS SILENCE!! :D
Last edited by Warren Kaplan on Dec 12th, '06, 21:17, edited 1 time in total.
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
John G.

Post by John G. »

On my 25D the light simply had 1 machine screw located in the front,upon removing this screw the entire light was free. This screw had a head of about 3/8 so it was quite visible, this does not mean all lights are the same but fortunately mine was obvious.
As to quieting the wires there is a track inside the mast (on mine) like the one outside the mast for your sail slugs, pull the wire out, tie them to a slug every 2 feet or so insert into inside track and feed into mast. On mine this did not work because there were old slugs, bird feathers, nesting material, etc and I was not able to feed new slugs into mast. My second effort was to wrap pipe insulation (black foam tubes) around wires, tie with wire ties that were about 8 inches long (leave them long it helps keep wires from moving) every foot or so, you can use more wire ties than the slugs due to cost. Lastly I secured the wires to the top of mast so that the weight wouldn't be pulling down from light. It sure makes sleeping much easier.
Carl Thunberg

Screws Probably Under Prism Cover

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Car1260,

I think I have a similar light fixture to yours. The prism/cover snaps into place and the screws are under the cover. You're right, there are no visible screws (on mine anyway), but they're in there somewhere.

Carl
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
car1260

Post by car1260 »

Thanks everyone. My screw was under a cap so I finally found it. It was strange because the plastic cap does nothing but hide the screw! I know everyone will probably cringe at what I did, but I took plumber's gap filler foam & stuck the tube in the light's screw hole & foamed the wires in. I went upwards with one can, and then down with the next. Since we are leaving for the Keys in a few days, I just didn't have the time to take the mast down & try the wire tie thing. I will probably regret it next time I want to run a wire up the mast, but for now - NO MORE SLAP :D !!! Thanks again and Happy Holidays!