The Call A Boat Owner Never Wants to Get......

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Chris Reinke
Location: CD330 - Innisfail (Gaelic for "A Little Bit Of Heaven on Earth"), Onset, MA

The Call A Boat Owner Never Wants to Get......

Post by Chris Reinke »

It was a rainy night so I was settled under the covers with my wife and kids getting in the holiday spirit by watching Polar Express and enjoying a cup of hot chocolate. The phone rang around 9:00pm....I did not recognize the number on the caller ID so I let the machine pick it up. I could tell by the persons voice that something was wrong before I could even hear the words. It was the Commodore from the club. I grabbed the phone just as the word Tornado came out of the answering machine.

A what? I could not belive my ears...this is New York! My CD330...my baby...was laying on her side. The report was that numerous boats were knocked over as a tornado rode directly across the Yacht Club. Most that were over had "significant damage" and lost rigs.

The Commodore said nothing could be done that night, but that didn't matter. I was dressed and out the door in under 2 minutes. The storm front that they had predicted to bring 40mph gust never really hit my house. The boat is only 20 minutes away so I was in disbelief.

I arrived at the club to find police barricade tape blocking off the entry. The night was clear, temperatures around 50, and the wind was blowing 10knts out of the West......I was thinking that is would be a beautiful December 1st night to be sailing.

As I approached the club I could see several large white hulls laying on their sides and across the roadway. In the distance I could make out my dark green canvas, with my mast protruding out at a 45 degree angle. As I entered the club I was amazed to see several large boats (30' - 35') laying on their sides, rotated in odd directions, masts tangled with other upright boats. The roadway was blocked by several sections of dock, some of which were pinned under a 27' Beneteau.

My stomach was getting tight as I approached the stern of my CD330. She was on her side, the starboard jacks were twisted beneath her, like flattened pretzels. As I walked around her I investigated for damage, but was relieved to not find any. The 37' off my port side was on its side, with an obvious structural collapse where she was resting on the ground. But my girl looked pretty good. The rig did not appear to be damaged. The heavy canvas cover had several tears where it had been torn by the PVC frame, or on the jacks. As I investigated each tear I was surprised to not find any damage to the hull or decking beneath the tear.

The hull was sitting on her starboard side, resting on the keel and hull just below the boot stripe. My fears that a jack had penetrated the hull, or that my rig was lost was quickly subsiding. After waking up my insurance agent and advising him of the situation I decided to head home and return in the morning.

The next morning my father and I heading back down to get a better look. The damage to other boats was much more significant then to our CD. A 27' Beneteau was balanced on her winged keel - NO JACKS! The fleet of VanGuards were tossed around and pilled on top of each other. A Pacific Seacraft had her lost her mast and was pinned beneath a larger (37') sailboat. A large trawler had been pushed about 5 feet off its jacks and across the paved parking lot, our CD330 had pivoted 90 degree before being rolled onto her side, a 20' bowrider had been lifted off its trailer and dropped on the pavement next to the trailer.

During our daylight evaluation we were continually surprised to find no obvious signs of damage. We were concerned that the coach roof may have taken some of the shock load when the rig bounced...but no signs of damage. The smashed jacks were crushed under the keel, but no hull damage. The section of hull contacting the ground is just below the boot stripe and I will not get a look at it until she is lifted.....but the heavy rains and soft soil may have saved her. The insurance companies are figuring out how to get a heavy lifting crane in to right the boats (nothing the yard travel lift could manage) and I will not get a look at the hull until then - but she looks fine. The interior of the hull does not show any deformation or structural issues.

All in all 13 boats were knocked to the ground....yet all the boats on the other side of the yard had no damage. All the damage had occurred to boats along the southern end of they yard, and the trees across the road confirmed a straight path of damage leading up the ridgeline away from the water.

I guess the moral of the story is that CD's are tough old broads.

Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

What a horrible night that must have been for you!! Let's hope any damage to the underside of the hull is limited to surface cosmetics!! These CDs are pretty tough!!
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Dick Barthel

Luck

Post by Dick Barthel »

Chris,

It sounds like you were unlucky by being in the distinct minority that got hit but lucky that you had a Cape Dory. Man what a story. I'm glad it seems to be having a happy ending for you.

Dick
Ldybg
CD 28 #125
Raritan YC, NJ

Crane Operator

Post by Ldybg »

Chris,
I fear what has happened to you, good luck with recovery, etc.

If needed, our club uses Oceanic Crane, 973-227-0499 (ask for Bob) for our hauling and launching. They are a very good and in Northern New Jersey.

Dennis
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

Chris, so sorry to hear of the fluke mishap to your boat. Nature can be indeed strange at times. I guess in a way you lucked out, and fortunately the damage doesn't sound too serious.
I recall your beautiful '33 from the CD Weekend at Onset back in 2000. In any event, best of luck getting her back on her feet.
________
FULL MELT BUBBLE HASH