Building The Godspeed

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Building The Godspeed

Post by Oswego John »

Today, Saturday, Dec 02, The History Channel is showing a terrific show. It is about the construction of the replica of the vessel Godspeed. This is the ship that brought the early settlers from England to Jamestown, Virginia in the early 1600s

It shows how the replica was hand built in a shipyard in Maine, from the keel upwards to the final rigging and launching. The presentation is rich in showing marlinspike seamanship and what is involved in making the sails by hand. If you want the feel of sailing an early square rigger and alot of the nuances involved, I recommend that you catch the show

I think that you will be glad that you did.
O J
bill2

history ?

Post by bill2 »

Arrrrgh - ye landlubbers have the gold to buy cable - have ye no sympathy for blokes that haven't seen a galleon to plunder for months.

:cry:
Baysailer

Post by Baysailer »

I happened to catch it by pure dumb luck and it was all john said. Another worth catching if it re-airs was the christmas tree ship. It was a christmas special that showed life in the waning days of the schooners centering on a captain that shipped christmas trees (of course) from the UP Michigan to Chicago. Another dumb luck catch on my part.
Wayne Grenier

Building the Godspeed

Post by Wayne Grenier »

Too bad there isn't a boating or sailing channel-maybe we should start one?
plumber

the water channel

Post by plumber »

There is the water channel on didg & sat . Lats&atts has there own show. The channel is all about anything on, in and under the water.