Moving on to a larger boat

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

rdevine
Essex, CT

Moving on to a larger boat

Post by rdevine »

Life moves on and it is with some sadness that we have bought our first non CD boat..In fact we just closed on a 34' Vineyard Vixen up in RI..My wife and I plan to cruise Maine to the Chesapeake, work permitting, and perhaps race in the '09 Marion race..
I have always appreciated the advice you have given me or info to another sailor..I will continue to check in on this board for it is one terrific reason to stay with the CD family of beautiful yachts..
Thanks again one and all..
See my post for our Ty for sale..

Rodney
bottomscraper

Vineyard Vixen

Post by bottomscraper »

Best of luck with your new boat. I don't know much about them but they sure do have pretty lines! There is a smaller one in Mattapoisett that I always thought was one of the nicer looking boats in the harbor.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Bill Michne

Great boat

Post by Bill Michne »

Rodney:

There are very few boats I admire as much or more than Cape Dory's, but the Vineyard Vixen is one of them. I had a chance to tour one several years ago, owned by a lovely single woman who was looking for crew. I probably could have let my CD go, but not my beautiful bride. So I stuck with what I had and watched the gorgeous (girl or boat, you choose!) sail off into the sunset.

Good luck with your new love.
Bill Michne
s/v Mintaka, CD 40
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Congratulations, it's a beautiful boat

Post by Joe Myerson »

Rodney,

Vineyard Vixen are pretty hard to come by, and they're beautiful boats. I'm sure you'll enjoy her very much.

Best of luck. You'll have a great time with this fine boat.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
viejo

Post by viejo »

About ten years ago, my family tells me that our boat was too small and we needed a larger one if I wanted them to go cruising with me (my wife and me, actually).

I sold the CD26D (very sad day for me) and ended up with a Morgan 382. Great boat. Nice and roomy. The kids both came to me a couple of years ago and said that they're not interested in joining us in a long term cruise.

The M382 is going on the market as soon as the carpenter gets his act finished, and we'll be replacing it with a CD26D or CD25D (or a CD27).

Never should have sold the 26.