Lots of boats lost in New England this weekend.

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mahalocd36

Lots of boats lost in New England this weekend.

Post by mahalocd36 »

Here's some of them:

http://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/photos/06/1028/

Kind of surprised they still have their canvas on with the weather forecast.
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
Wayne Grenier

Lots of boats

Post by Wayne Grenier »

Hey-that's my home port! I came out 10-12-06-I was dealing with a 50th wedding anniversary party at our yacht club hall-we ended up with no electricity and no food (the caterer lost his electricity as well)-it looked like a huricane with 10-12 footers rolling in from the Southeast where I was in New Bedford-anyway-I don't think it was the waves or the wind but the longevity of the event that caused the damage! but one of our oldest CD 28's lives to sail again! (hull# 13 has actually been a very lucky boat)
Carl Thunberg

158 mph gust on Mt. Washington

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Check out this article on msnbc.com. If I'm not mistaken, wasn't The Perfect Storm on this exact same weekend in 1991?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15496403/
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Wayne Grenier

boats lost

Post by Wayne Grenier »

I guess that's the price we have to pay for having a harbor you can sail in and out of-the "Robin" looks like a canoe stern cutter with a mizzen-maybe a west sail or something-nice boat-the problem with Padanaram is that if it blows from the south \south east and you drag north/northwest there isn't any nice place to land-its either the bridge or the road-again you were talking 2 days of 50+ winds-much longer in duration than a normal hurricane-and yes-Mt Washington did clock wind gusts at 158 mph-(there is a good web site with a live feed from the weather observatory at the the top)-there are signs on the hiking trails in the White Mountains that say "If the weather is bad-turn back now!" and they need to be heeded! also-most boat insurance policies have a date by which you agree to have the boat in dry-dock- like November 1st in this part of the country-so be aware! However-I would hazard a guess and say that was the most destructive gale in terms of baots washing ashore that we have seen in at least 30 years-usually we make out very well-we are very well protected in a typical "Northeaster"-
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

You guys scare me.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Annapolis (where most of the local wind is election oriented), MD
CDSOA Founding Member
aja

rough weekend

Post by aja »

It was a rough one this weekend. At least 2 boats at our dock had lines snap - and we went down twice over the weekend to replace our own lines that were chafing thru. aja was bucking like a bronco cause her slip points her into the west, which is where the wind and waves were coming in all day Sunday. I had a wild ride ride on her bow trying to replace the lines. Went down last night and it was smooth as glass.

Hoping for one last sail,

Diana
s/v aja
1977 cd25 #530
Fairhaven, MA

NE Fleet Member since 2002
Ed Haley

Lake Ontario had 20 foot average waves

Post by Ed Haley »

Due to the 160 mile fetch of west to east on Lake Ontario, the waves piled up in the eastern third of the lake to 20 feet. What they were 30 miles later is anyone's guess but there was massive amounts of beach erosion on eastern shores.

I haven't heard of any boat damage but if there were any still anchored in marinas, I fear for the worst.

I have never encountered or even heard of twenty-foot waves since I've been sailing Lake Ontario. I'm just glad I wasn't out in them. :!:

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/show_plot.php? ... sght&uom=E
carldoc

Post by carldoc »

I am fortunately out of the water. But the boat next to me(CD22) left his furler up and the sail was torn to shreds. Is boat looked like it was going to blow over so we tore down his sail.

Get your sails down for the winter.
If you get confused just listen to the music play.
David VanDenburgh
CD 36, #7
Lake Michigan

The "Perfect Storm" of 1991

Post by David VanDenburgh »

Carl,

You're absolutely right. The storm on which the book and movie were based occurred at the same time of the year in 1991.

Here's a link that tells about it:
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/satellite/s ... storm.html
David VanDenburgh (the elder)
Ron Brassord

New England Nor"easter

Post by Ron Brassord »

Does anyone recall the October 28 storm of 1980? This happened on a Saturday morning and surprised everyone.We had a Pearson 30 on a mooring at the mouth of the Mystic River in Conn, We had plans to bring the boat home to the Conn River that day for winter haulout. Instead, when we arrived.we found our boat lying on the rocks on the east side of the harbor. A 3/4" pendant had snapped. The storm pounded her to pieces on the rocks.
Another sailboat had left earlier to make the Conn River, but it foundered on the Saybrooke bar and the lone skipper was lost.
I guess late October is a risky time for NE boats. Having lived in SE Florida since, I have the opinion neither hurricanes or nor'easters are to be take lightly.
Ron Brassord Lighthouse Point Fl.
plumber

Oswego Harbor waves

Post by plumber »

In Oswego Harbor there was quite a lot of damage and it seems there was only 1 boat lost. A chunk of the break wall was lost also. You can see pics of the waves on www.oswegocounty.com It's impressive. I've never seen waves like that in Oswego.
Brace