installing winches further aft

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

grania
Owner-Aine

installing winches further aft

Post by grania »

Hello-I am in the market for a set of used self-tailing winches for my CD 9M (30 ft) and was wondering 2 things. What would be the best type to get for this boat, and would there be any reason not to install them further aft to make it easier to single-hand the boat someday (Im not quite at that level yet). Right now I need to step away from the pulpit to get a good hold on the head sail sheets. While wer'e on the topic-someone suggested moving the traveler track aft also-for the same reason. This boat came with a auto-pilot-so that will help-I havent tried it yet-just got the boat in sept. I'd welcome your ideas.
Aine
Michael Abramson
Yorktown, VA

Post by Michael Abramson »

Aine,

I have the same boat but tiller steering. I assume by "pulpit" you mean you have pedestal (wheel) steering, which would put your normal steering position well aft of where one would comfortably stand with tiller steering. I think you may want to get some miles under your belt with the current arrrangement, even if you upgrade the winches themselves to self-tailing. Come up with a way to neatly stow the jib sheets at the rear of the cockpit seats. I would not move the traveller out of its location on the bridgedeck unless you went to one positioned aft of the wheel, making sure the mainsheet would clear your head by a wide margin in your normal steering position.

Michael
grania
Owner-Aine

Thanks Mike

Post by grania »

Maybe I'll give that a try-but you are right-Its a pedastal/wheel and its hard to see how I'll be able to bring the sheets back far enough. What would be the downside of installing the new winches further aft? I think you have a point about having to worry about the main sheet if I moved the traveler. I know the previous owner sailed this boat solo. Well, I'll have to wait till spring to try this out. Aine
Aine
Michael Abramson
Yorktown, VA

Post by Michael Abramson »

I think the coaming would allow a similar sized winch to be mounted aft of the standard location, from memory the "footprint" there is wide enough. However, I would probably remove the old winches from the forward location if you added the ST ones behind them. Be sure to add backing plates at least as large as the original ones under the coaming.

I can see how the mainsheet would be a hassle from your steering position. I have to push mine down at a sharp angle to get it to stay in the traveller cam cleats, and that angle will be hard to attain from your distant rear steering position. Maybe investigate different brands of these that allow release/engagement with a less acute angle of the main sheet.