A good article on the assymetrical sail...

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Didereaux

A good article on the assymetrical sail...

Post by Didereaux »

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanshi ... naker.html

This is really one of the most succinct and clear articles I have seen about this type of sail. It very much fits with what I have observed and experienced with one.

enjoy!
Didereaux- San Leon, TX
last owner of CD-25 #183 "Spring Gail"
"I do not attempt to make leopards change their spots...after I have skinned them, they are free to grow 'em back or not, as they see fit!" Didereaux 2007
Sandy D.
Grosse Pointe,Mi

Question

Post by Sandy D. »

What is ment by "inside"or "outside" jibes?

-Sandy
John D.
CD27 #105
Annapolis, Maryland

deleted

Post by John D. »

n/m
Last edited by John D. on Oct 30th, '06, 18:46, edited 2 times in total.
Dean Abramson

Next Article?

Post by Dean Abramson »

Didireaux,
Do you have a link to the referred-to following article, on Rigging and Handling Your Asymmetrical Spinnaker?
Thanks,
Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Didereaux

Dean re: link....

Post by Didereaux »

Dean,
I can't find it either. More than likely it was lost when SailNet folded and re-opened it's doors awhile back. I checked my archives, no luck. Even went to the Wayback Machine site and nothing! That last may indicate the article never was written, or at least published.

Somewhere back not to mny months their was a thread in the CD archives that dealt with this. They are very flexible in how you fly them, from free flying on the Spinnaker halyard to hank on at the top to the forestay(more a drifter then), but the main difference is at the tack. You can connect direct like a jib, on a pendant, or as Carter originally pointed out connect your downhaul line to the tack for adjusting and fine tuning from back in the cockpit.

I found using the downhaul method to be absolutely great! Excellent control and much easier to manage when furling. They're a very nice sail, not a cantankerous human-hating device from an enemy galaxy far, far away like the spinnaker. heh
Didereaux- San Leon, TX
"I do not attempt to make leopards change their spots...after I have skinned them, they are free to grow 'em back or not, as they see fit!" Didereaux 2007
Steve Laume

Sheet length

Post by Steve Laume »

Sheet lengths inside or outside vary very little on a cutter rig. The option as to weather to jibe inside or outside is also reduced. On a cutter you pretty much want to run your sheets outside, Steve.

Whoops, I messed up. It wouldn't matter weather you were single or double headed. You still have to clear the Head stay if the sail is not hanked on. You can tell I don't fly our reacher very often. A snuffer would make things much easier and may be an up grade this winter. It seams like a safety matter to me, steve.
Last edited by Steve Laume on Oct 29th, '06, 17:36, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Cochrane
s/v Phoenix

Follow-up Link

Post by Bill Cochrane »

The original is only a couple weeks old. The follow-up was posted "three days ago" according to the site. Here's the link:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising- ... #post87257
Didereaux

waaaayyy ta go Bill.....

Post by Didereaux »

sonuvagun, way to go Bill. The article is good too!
Didereaux- San Leon, TX
Andy Denmark

No way

Post by Andy Denmark »

Anyone who trys to jibe an assymetrical spinnaker inside the forestay is suffering from fatally flawed thinking at the concept level or has never tried this maneuver in real life.
________
Oregon medical marijuana
Last edited by Andy Denmark on Feb 13th, '11, 03:27, edited 1 time in total.
barfwinkle

Is it just me

Post by barfwinkle »

or is anyone else having problems with the two links in this thread.

TIA
Bill Member #250.
tartansailor

Jibing an Asymmetrical

Post by tartansailor »

I'm with Andy on this, I hope the lady is referring to an inside jibe as passing the clew between the spinnaker and the head stay; the tack being on a block at the rocket launcher.
Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Didereaux

only once....

Post by Didereaux »

My experience with jibing the assym inside the forestay was a one-time thing...and purely accidental. I svrewed up and the chute got a back wind, went for the other side and after a long time spent disentangling the whole mess I sat down and thought about it.

Result was that when I eliminated my stupidity it still left a daunting task, one which seemed to me to have so many ways of messing up that it seems to me no worth the effort; hence, I never again allowed that piece of cloth inside, always out, around, and back.

The first couple of times makes you nervous with all that yardage flying ahead of the boat and flapping like a giant flag at a used car dealership, but it goes quickly... oh yeah, one OBVIOUS caveat: take those Danforths hanging so smartly off you pulpit OFF, unless you relish sail repairs.

One last thing, there are some new 'Lite' braids out there now, pretty pricey, but even with my nearly non-existent budget I used it and what a difference it made, truly one of those bite your lip and do it things.
Didereaux- San Leon, TX
Ed Haley

There's another possible line, too!

Post by Ed Haley »

Great article for rigging an aspin. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/cruising- ... #post87257)

If you have an aspin that's stuffed inside a snuffer sock, there's another looped line to deal with that raises and lowers the spinnaker after the sock is raised to the top of the mast. You've got to attach this line to the mast somewhere so that it doesn't go flying away and wrap somewhere out of reach. I don't remember reading of it in the article but it's usually part of the process since a snuffer sock is a popular part of the gear.

Once rigged and flying, I've even used an aspin to go dead downwind using a whisker pole to go wing and wing in light air. I've won the downwind mark going wing and wing when others had been using spinnakers in very light air.
Dean Abramson

Pole?

Post by Dean Abramson »

Those are great articles. There is no mention of poles. It seems that I have read articles about assyms which just assume pole use.

To me, no pole would be great. My boat came with a sail which I am yet to take out of the bag; it is colorful and very lightweight. It was described by the broker as a "drifter." I thought that drifters were just huge light gennys, but this sail has no hanks and is meant to fly like a spinnaker or assym forward of the headstay. I have very little info on the sail, but I found something that says it is an "Omni" sail. I don't have that with me, but I think that the illustration on that flyer showed it as symmetrical in shape. I could not hoist it up, because the halyard and mast block are missing. But I want to try it next year.

I would appreciate any comments on whether a pole would be necessary with an assym on a CD31, and whether the pole would need a topping lift and guy. Also, does anyone know about this Omni sail?

Dean
Dean Abramson
Cape Dory 31 "Loda May"
Falmouth, Maine
Bill Michne

barfwinkle, me too

Post by Bill Michne »

I can't get either of the links to work. Any suggestions from the techies among us?
Bill Michne
s/v Mintaka, CD 40