Anyone with a 25D in their yard?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Anyone with a 25D in their yard?

Post by bhartley »

We're hauling our new 25D home on Friday and would like to check some trailer dimensions prior to leaving.

Thanks,

Bly
Steve Kuhar
Pensacola, Fl.

Post by Steve Kuhar »

My 25D is on a trailer in the shed that I built for it while doing hurricane repairs. Let me know what measurements you need and I will get them for you.

Steve Kuhar
Carl Thunberg

So many boats, so little time

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Bly,
I couldn't help but notice this makes three Alberg-designed boats in your inventory. Now there's a gal after my own heart. I mean, after all, doesn't everyone have one boat for every room in their house? :wink:
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Tracuman
Location: Callipygian 1982 Cape Dory 25D Hull #9 Treasure Island Fla

You can never have too many boats

Post by Tracuman »

Bly,
congrats on the new boat! I spent this past weekend aboard my new CD25D that's still in the slip in Texas. I did a detailed inspection and even spent some time in the water to check the hull, thru-hulls, and shaft. She needs some TLC, but overall I'm delighted and cannot wait to get her here to Florida! As I inventory the the gear (there's 4 different jibs practically brand new on board) I'll let you and the CD gang out there what I have to pass on in case your CD25D has needs.
Thanks again for your input on my trailer situation...still working this angle out. :D
Steve Kuhar
Pensacola, Fl.

Post by Steve Kuhar »

Bly and Tracuman,

My trailer has three pads on each side, they are 86" apart, the forward pads are 24" from centerline and 38" high, the center pads are 32" from centerline and 40" high, the aft pads are 12" from centerline and 53" high. The aft pads sit just barely inside of the stern. I assume that you are going to have the boat lifted onto the trailer, if so I recommend that you set your bolsters as far out and as low as you can get them, have your tools ready, and bring them up to meet the hull after the keel is on the trailer. Remember that the entire weight of the boat rests on the keel, the pads just keep the boat in place. Before you get to the yard make sure that the pads are free to swivel through a considerable range. The forward pads are nearly 60 Degrees from horizontal. Lots of Luck.
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Thanks!!!

Post by bhartley »

Steve,

Thanks for the measurements. They're a big help. We picked up the loaner trailer today. It's not perfect, but it will suit just fine for the trip home. We will use the combination of the loaner's measurements and your's to come up with a plan for the welder and our trailer retrofit.

Our trip got moved up a day this morning so we leave tomorrow as soon as the trailer is ready. We have a 4-5 hour drive. Hopefully we'll arrive before dark so we can give her a once-over before the festivities begin in the morning. We've got a contract sight unseen based on digital pictures and a favorable price.

Cross your fingers for us,

Bly
bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

And now I have a CD25D in my own yard!

Post by bhartley »

Sitting in our driveway is our new Cape Dory 25D. (#184) We returned at 10 p.m. last night with her on a loaner trailer. We have our own trailer in the works. Once transfered to our trailer, she will stay in they yard until March while we do various projects that will make her perfect-ish.

There were (for once) some pleasant surprises. First, we seem to have every morsel of documentation since the boat was delivered in 1985 including the original vinyl Cape Dory document folio. This makes my very, very organized husband very happy.

The boat has also been repowered with a Yanmar 1GM10 from the original 1GM. The spinnaker is actually an asymetrical spinnaker. Although we use our radial cut spinnaker quite a bit, the drifter will be great for our many light winds days in the dog days of summer. I never would shell out the money for one. The sails are only a few years old and have seen very little use. We were expecting original sails based on the broker's description.

We had to motor 3 hours to the marina for haul out (not a breath of air...) and the diesel purred. The boat has seen little use in the past year and this was a concern.

The survey went very well. We had spent many hours on the boat pouring over ever nook and cranny prior to the survey. The surveyor found three minor items we had not seen (two below the water line), otherwise there were no surprises. Another pleasant surprise was that all of the electronics worked (except for one light that was missing a bulb). The head isn't pumping, but it looks to just need a rebuild kit.

Our Sea Sprite came completely "unfurnished" -- nothing on board other than cushions. Not even a water logged PFD. On the new boat, the PO simply walked away (barefoot apparently as we even found a pair of nice sneakers on board). We have THREE 120' anchor rodes with chain (and anchors), enough extra genuine Yanmar parts to build a new engine, an emergency Whale pump, miles of surplus yacht braid and a lifetime supply of expired flares!

As we were getting ready to pull out, a guy walked up to me and said -- "you must be the people who stole my boat" -- yikes!!! Turns out he was the seller and was very pleasant and told us that the people he had purchased the boat from were Jack and Alice therefore the name Jackal. He was also able to answer a few questions which was helpful. I couldn't feel too bad that he sold the boat at a loss -- we couldn't have afforded her otherwise.

I've had to promise my husband not to buy any more boats for a while. Come spring we will have Sophie's Choice as we will have to sell either the Typhoon or the Sea Sprite. But that is another day... Today we're celebrating.

Bly
Tracuman
Location: Callipygian 1982 Cape Dory 25D Hull #9 Treasure Island Fla

Mast step

Post by Tracuman »

Wow,
She looks great in the photos. You guys must be extremely pleased!!
Congratulations on a successful move and your new baby!

Got a quick question for you. When you took down the mast, how is it situated on the coach roof. Does the mast "sleeve" fit over a fitting that is sitting on the coach roof, or is there a hole that it fits down into. What's the black ring around the bottom (a seal of some sort I would guess). How did you take down the mast, did you use a crane or just "elbow grease". I'm planning my move for the second weekend in Nov and even though I took about 80 pictures of "Callipygian", I didn't get a close up of the mast base. I need plan the mast stepping procedures...I might be better off to let the yard do it when she's hauled.

Thanks for all the help and Congrats again! :D
Dick Barthel

Well Done!

Post by Dick Barthel »

Bly,

Congratulations to you and your husband. No. 184 has to be one of the last 25Ds built. She certainly looks like a beauty.

I hope you guys get involved with the Northeast Fleet. You have a great boat to show off.

Dick